cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading to a 15k btu air conditioner?

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
First trip out in my new TT last weekend and it HOT in the camper. 95 degrees outside temp. Have any you upgraded from a 13.5k btu a/c to the 15k; and, was it worth the money?

The rig is a Cougar 31sqb, if that matters.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

TheGriswolds
Explorer
Explorer
We have the exact same trailer as you. I found one on the lot with the 15k a/c and decided to go with it. Camper has always stayed cold, love it. Congrats on the upgrade.
2011 F-250 Supercrew 4x4
2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB

dadof6
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you're more comfortable. Before buying our new TT in April I negotiated an upgraded 15K BTU before buying. Last weekend we were in KY and the heat outside was miserable but the trailer was so cool we had to adjust the thermostat. The downside is we only have the one so it is a bit noisy right in the middle of the TT.

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up: After another miserably hot trip last September I upgraded to a 15k btu air conditioner. We have been on the south Texas coast for a week now and the upgraded ac has worked great. The difference between this ac and the original 13.5 one is huge and was well worth the money. (no shade, concrete pads,temps in the mid 90's)

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up: After another miserably hot trip last September I upgraded to a 15k btu air conditioner. We have been on the south Texas coast for a week now and the upgraded ac has worked great. The difference between this ac and the original 13.5 one is huge and was well worth the money. (no shade, concrete pads,temps in the mid 90's)

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure there will be that big of a difference between a 13K to a 15K, espcially in Ok. My neighbor did just what was said, he added on a 2nd AC and they fished new wire to the basement and he would plug into the 20 amp side when he needed the second AC. He did that for several years till he sold it.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is a small portable AC. Usually on wheels. And basically simply exhaust the air through a fitting in a window, etc.

I also floated the idea of using a home type dehumidifier to help the a/c out. Basically just run a cord inside and plug it into the pedestal outside.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I beliwe a lot of peable run them on sepret cirket and sometimes use the 20 AMP plug on pedestal
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
Goldstalker wrote:
I think you would be better off adding a second unit rather than upgrading, it really isn't a big difference between the two. You will be much happier with two and can only run one when needed. Also you won't be wasting a perfectly good unit.

That's a thought, but wouldn't I have to upgrade to 50amp service, get a new converter and upgrade other stuff too?

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
I think you would be better off adding a second unit rather than upgrading, it really isn't a big difference between the two. You will be much happier with two and can only run one when needed. Also you won't be wasting a perfectly good unit.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

stormy2000
Explorer
Explorer
we had the trailer a/c upgraded and wow it was worth it for us!, even when its in the 90's outside it is so nice and cool inside. def worth it for comfort. 2013 keystone sprinter TT

bill & jodi