cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upper, lower, and heater hose replacement

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
When is the recommended time/miles to replace hoses on the tow vehicle?
I have about 120,000 miles on the truck and still have original hoses and am thinking its time. I have a couple of estimates from shops at about $600 to replace them all. Does this sound right?
Thanks,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
8 REPLIES 8

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
The reality is that belts and hoses last considerably longer than they did even in the 1980's and 1990's, but all it takes is one pinhole to leave you stranded who knows where! If you have not yet done so, it is time for a coolant change, so swapping out the belts and hoses may provide you with a lot peace of mind. One thng to be certain is that there are a lot of cheap after market auto parts that have flooded the market, so be wise and specify OEM parts. Some cheap hoses available from 3rd party (read Chinese) suppliers may be worse than your existing hoses.

For years, I changed hoses ever two or three years on my cars. I did use the red or blue jacket heater hose, and never changed it. As you have noted, hoses have become much better quality. I think I am rather conservative but somwhere around 7 to 10 years or 80K to 100K miles is more than enough on GOOD quality hoses. Whenever possible I use OEM hoses, even at twice the price. If they are no longer produced, I use Gates, or possibly Dayco.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 2004 Ford F250, V-10 in to the shop last month to get all the belts and hoses checked, just for my satisfaction. Fifteen years old, but only 87,000 miles I was feeling like you do, just time to check everything. Put it on the lift, checked all lines and fittings, connections and joints, and brake system. Drove out with just serpentine belt replaced, it was not cracked or broken but was real shiny and slick. I felt better after replacing it. Still, $600.00 does sound a tad high just to replace two hoses....
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the upper and lower radiator hoses after replacing the radiator. That is a rule of thumb that proved accurate in my case. I had all the hoses replaced by an independent shop on my Excursion and received a bill of $1,000. I about fell over.

Everything I read say the heater hoses shold be good for thelife of the truck.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for your help!!
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I inspect mine and just keep on driving. If they don't feel right, or are swelling, or otherwise give off a bad vibe I replace them. Modern hoses are reliable as heck compared to what I learned on. But, if you're at all uncomfortable switch them out. Which reminds me that it's nearly time to flush my system.. I'll wait till fall..

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The reality is that belts and hoses last considerably longer than they did even in the 1980's and 1990's, but all it takes is one pinhole to leave you stranded who knows where! If you have not yet done so, it is time for a coolant change, so swapping out the belts and hoses may provide you with a lot peace of mind. One thng to be certain is that there are a lot of cheap after market auto parts that have flooded the market, so be wise and specify OEM parts. Some cheap hoses available from 3rd party (read Chinese) suppliers may be worse than your existing hoses.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
KNOCK WOOD !

1998 E150, after 21 years, original hoses !

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If the truck sat outside in Tucson, I’d be more apt to say yes it’s time. Otherwise it’s good preventative maintenance that “should” still last for more years.
$600 isn’t outrageous provident it comes with a complete coolant flush.
Think about a thermostat too while the cooling system is cracked open.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold