cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used/2014 Grey Wolf 26DBH - Insulation in AC vents

blitzn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2014 Grey Wolf DBH. Everything about it looks great and it looks to be well taken-care of. One potential issue I noticed while inspecting it, there were some sort of insulation or carpet-looking fibers gathered at some of the output AC vents; sort of like small blocks of foam. My initial thought was possible residual material from manufacturing or something. After thinking about it a bit more, I'm concerned there may be an issue with rodents of some kind in the ducting. Any ideas why something like this may be happening? The current owner tells me basically, sometimes they come this way from the factory... I'm not sure though.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the ones I've seen have the directional vent going through a hole cut into the ductwork, as opposed to simply a hole that hopes to hit the vent. Very odd there...
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that's a first for me. Never seen that before.

Time to get creative with some sheet styrofoam and duck tape, it seems. If you can't shift the ducting, that's the only choice other than dropping the ceiling.

You MIGHT get luck by bringing it to the attention of a dealer who sells grey wolf. Even though out of warranty, you might get lucky as it's obviously a misbuild or bad product quality.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or they put the vents or duct in the wrong place. You might get by with a larger vent grill that would use more of the duct. As it is now it would restrict air flow.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double post

blitzn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good advice. We actually went ahead and purchased this TT, as I believed at least the insulation wasn't coming from rodents or anything

Now that we have the camper, I was able to check out the issue more closely, and... What the issue basically is, is the AC ducting from the unit forward seems to be pushed aside a few inches. This is allowing insulation in the ceiling cavity to fall through to the vent caps. It's even more offset toward the front sleeping area, which makes sense, and since we do get AC out of the ducting, I believe the ducting is still attached at the unit, but for some reason is moved sideways. Pushing and pulling on it, it seems to be willing to slide further away from where it should be, but not toward the vent caps and lined up. Seems to be a manufacturing defect, as I can't imagine this happening progressively over time, and it's only a 2014 (2014 date of manufacture). I think these have a one year warranty, not sure if this would be covered or in time, and there is an extended warranty, though I don't know what would be covered.

Here are a couple pics.

AC unit is somewhat in center of main living area, this is the vent a few feet forward:

And this is the vent in the front bedroom:

Any advice would be appreciated. Assuming I'm not covered by warranty, I'm planning to stick a camera up there and see what may be hindering movement of the ducting back to where it should go.

Thanks!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's breaking up into small parts , probably just polystyrene beads . It's the norm in rv's.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
I've had my trailer for almost 3 years now and I still get some of that **** blowing out every once and again. My guess is its just material in the ducts from when it was made.

This. Mine shows up sometimes still after a trip. And that's after I pulled all the vents out and stuck vacuum in there.

There's no telling what all was in the vents when they sealed them up.

Good one: They barely even seal them up. I've gone through mine and tried to reseal as best as I could without having to drop the ceiling. The ducts are basically coreplast with a little tape on them.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd say it's from the manufacturing/assembly process. If you had rodents you would surely have droppings throughout the camper as another indicator of a potential pest problem.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my trailer for almost 3 years now and I still get some of that **** blowing out every once and again. Honestly though in the 3 years or so I've had the trailer I've used the AC maybe 4-5 times. My guess is its just material in the ducts from when it was made.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4