Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility Bed Tie Downs....???

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi All!

Thinking of getting a chassis cab truck from one of the big three. I’ve shopped some very nice aluminum utility beds that would accommodate my TC. My question is, how in the heck do you tie it down?

Or is the best option to put it on an aluminum flat bed, then surround it with storage boxes where I can?

Thanks,
Eric
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Too general of a question, really.
Tool boxes are nice but you still need to secure the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple options with mine. Spring loaded tiedowns need something extending from the truck frame or you can use 4 pins that have to align through 4 secure points. You can remove your campers factory brackets and fab up your own set using the same bolt pattern. Then you need to mount 4 secure points to your utility bed. Maybe someone will chime in with their pin system.
Keytag is correct about bed height. A quick reference is how much higher is the utility bed above the back window? That is how much you have to raise the bed. Obviously this is for a camper with slides right?
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the measurements very carefully before you even consider UB.
I had big UB on F350 and when the bed had floor elevated by 5", I had to add 4" shims to clear the sides.
That put my basement TC over 13' tall. Not something to like.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
ticki2 wrote:
ticki2 wrote:
It will depend on how the flatbed is made , there are several types . On mine it has 3" I beam cross members and 1/8" diamond plate on top . I mounted 1/2" ss D rings at the 4 corner with reinforcing under the I beams spaning at least 2 cross members . For turnbuckles I used 4 short spring loaded Anchor Guards from torklift . Be sure to use a barrier between the ss and aluminum . This has worked for me for 10 years with no damage to bed or TC . Good luck and enjoy all that extra storage .This may work with a Utility Bed depending if their is enough room to get your hand in to tighten .

I assume you are referring to just mounting to a flatbed, Yes, the anchor points you discuss would work perfectly. I am more interested on how to anchor a TC when it is sitting inside a utility truck bed with service sides. I’ve seen TC’s in them, but now how they are fastened to them.....
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
It will depend on how the flatbed is made , there are several types . On mine it has 3" I beam cross members and 1/8" diamond plate on top . I mounted 1/2" ss D rings at the 4 corner with reinforcing under the I beams spaning at least 2 cross members . For turnbuckles I used 4 short spring loaded Anchor Guards from torklift . Be sure to use a barrier between the ss and aluminum . This has worked for me for 10 years with no damage to bed or TC . Good luck and enjoy all that extra storage .This may work with a Utility Bed depending if their is enough room to get your hand in to tighten .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
It will depend on how the flatbed is made , there are several types . On mine it has 3" I beam cross members and 1/8" diamond plate on top . I mounted 1/2" ss D rings at the 4 corner with reinforcing under the I beams spaning at least 2 cross members . For turnbuckles I used 4 short spring loaded Anchor Guards from torklift . Be sure to use a barrier between the ss and aluminum . This has worked for me for 10 years with no damage to bed or TC . Good luck and enjoy all that extra storage .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed