cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VA diesel drivers

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a second house in VA and for the last 4 years have driven back and forth between here and there. In VA the price for diesel was usually in the $3.62-$3.72 range while here mostly in the $3.89-$4.09 range. Drove up to VA last weekend and it was in the $3.89 range, with one place having biodiesel at $3.33. Loved filling my AUX tank and saving $10 to $15 a fill up. (not with the biodiesel)

Why has it risen so high lately after holding steady for the last 4 years?
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK
20 REPLIES 20

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Keystone is for exporting product,none of it would be earmarked for domestic use

x2

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
Your crossing over into the commercial game, running diesel. I was going to look at a diesel pusher for my retirement rig., but not now. The cost of the rig,repairs, and fuel would be cheaper with the gas bus.. I plan on doing more camping than driving, so I feel am going with gas this time around.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
robsouth wrote:
Because they can. Plain and simple. It is not like some things that folk would stop buying if the price got high. People will buy fuel at "whatever" price. Could you do without?

Can do with less. and have had to, and still have to with cost the energy policies have forced on us. We don't drive nearly as much as we did before. It's one of the reasons the roads are falling apart. Gas tax revenues are falling because people don't use as much gas, and they can't pay to keep up the roads. It's happening in NC anyway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keystone is for exporting product,none of it would be earmarked for domestic use

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone would allow more exports of crude, but I wars refering to refined ULSD that gets exported from the US at 162,000 barrels per day for the week of 3/14.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=wd0im_nus-z00_2&f=4
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:
Given that the US is now exporting more ULSD then it has since the required move to ULSD production for road vehicles, it is pure greed both at the national level and state level.

And a previous poster added because of not having the Keystone pipeline. The Keystone was to get oil to the Gulf coast for refining for domestic and export use thereby increasing supply. They added that the oil designated for the Keystone WILL be shipped to China where they will poorly refine and increase pollution. The Canadians will only wait so long.

The pipeline is the safest method of shipment. Recent events with trains have proven that they are not immune to accidents. Burlington Northern who has the monopoly on train shipments is adding additional capacity to ship to the Gulf coast and adds fifty cents per barrel to cost. Of course, Berkshire Hathaway owns Burlington and they have a coziness with certain people.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Prices jumped from a nice low in the past week. Locally in N. VA it was 3.899 for the longest time, now out of the blue its 4.099 average and your are lucky if you find something under 4 a gallon.

Given that the US is now exporting more ULSD then it has since the required move to ULSD production for road vehicles, it is pure greed both at the national level and state level.

The gas tax change in VA actually did not change a thing for us, but did hit the companies that where using wholesale fuel as a way to save. The gas tax now taxes all wholesale fuel purchases rather then retail purchases, that of course then gets passed on to retail customers.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
This is what the EIA has to say about the where the pump prices of gasoline and diesel come from; the EIA also indicates the tax on diesel is $0.17/gal higher in NC than VA (Source).

Source: EIA: Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL has the reason. Increase in diesel tax. If you save receipts, you can get a rebate from the state since tax is for commercial.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both of our girls now live in NC. I make sure I fill up just west of Emporia on US58 at Unkle Odies before hitting the state line. The stations at 95 will take your head off. Gas prices are stupid in Raleigh. And Md, and FL. Diesel at 3.54 is a deal.
Puma 30RKSS

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
:B
DutchmenSport wrote:
Because its a conspiracy against diesel drivers! We have too much "power!" ๐Ÿ™‚
:B
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Surprisingly enough Diesel is actually a byproduct of Gasoline and it has always been cheaper to refine...However with the current taxation using the excuse that there are more trucks causing more damage they justify the tax increases then we get into the new bio blends and low or ultra low sulpher diesels and then big brother steps in with EPA saying that diesels are dirty and yadda yadda yadda....Well you get the point.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
"..and the station had diesel for $3.54 "

What area was this?
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure where you checked in VA. I bought gasoline for my car yesterday, and the station had diesel for $3.54 and premium was $3.58. I paid $3.18 for regular.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds