cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visiting Mexico with a truck and camper late 2018

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the current situation around visiting Mexico travelling in a 3500 series single rear wheel pickup truck or a 250/350 series flatbed truck with a truck camper?

Interested in hearing from travellers who have these types of rigs.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Bajadan -

BajaDan83
Explorer
Explorer
I go down into Baja all the time in my 2003 F350 SRW 4x4 with my lance squire 4000. Never have a problem able to go down tracks and off-road and surf by myself just the wife and son. I hit it several times a year. I buy a years worth of Mex insurance and go. I do think Baja is safer than any other zone to drive into right now from AZ or Texas you are instantly in Cartel zone

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the info so far. - 67avion - not off topic at all - my truck and camper are similar vintage to yours - except I tow a garage trailer. I like your rig and your story.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
To expand on something #1Flyboy said, your liability insurance, which is valid in the US and Canada is NOT valid in Mexico. You are required by Mexican law to have a liability policy from a Mexican insurance company.

If you have Collision and/or Comprehensive insurance, most likely it won't be valid in Mexico, but it's possible you can get it as optional coverage for an additional fee to your American company.

If you have a loan out on either your truck or your camper or both, the bank probably REQUIRES Collision and Comprehensive insurance,(They may call it 'Full Insurance')so best to sort that out.

Finally, if you have Roadside Assistance, you need to see if it provides coverage in Mexico. If it's one of those multi-tier plans, possibly a higher tier than you now have offers it.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I remember for sure from Baja is distance from the border.
The nice areas less than 100 miles from the border turns into marijuana smelling ZOO on weekend.
Once you go farther, it all changes till you come to Cabo San Lucas and meet greengos from cruise ships .
I have excelent memories from La Paz and Muledge (?)

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
..... Try bajanomad.com for some good answers ( although on some replies you will need a large grain of salt )... And one of the current topics is diesel fuel!.... You will need a MEXICAN insurance policy and get pesos before you get across the border....We go to Baja every year and no issues ( used to fly plane down & now drive down )....

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I guess I was off topic for your question?

"What is the current situation around visiting Mexico travelling in a 3500 series single rear wheel pickup truck or a 250/350 series flatbed truck with a truck camper?

Interested in hearing from travellers who have these types of rigs.

Thanks"

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Truck is a 2006 Dodge diesel, single wheel.

Region of interest is Baja California.

Thanks

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We seem to go where angels fear to tread. Last year we were camping at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. We picked up and turned on the GPS to get to Anza Borrego. It said take a right to Lukeville and so we did whilst driving in my F350 Ford diesel. They practically waved us across the border though we had out little Mini Aussie in the front seat.

Several hours later we crossed back across the border into California. The US Border Patrol Agent waved us over to the side for a closer look at my truck.

The Border Patrol guy finished the inspection and asked me to have a seat. He informed me that I had been driving along one of the most dangerous border roads in terms of human trafficking... That a lot of bad stuff had happened in that area....and that my F350 Ford 2003 that burns the Mexican diesel was especially prized by the bad guys. And that may have been why it was easy to get across the border into Mexico in the first place...but somehow we made it out OK.

Now, I've told this tale before to guys who travel frequently in Mexico and they laugh me out of the room. They all say the stories about truck jackings and human trafficking and narcos and police are imaginary. Honest, that's what they say. You can look it up.

But, I believe the BP guy and I'm not taking my F350 over there again. This winter we're traveling down to Oaxaca, Mexico. We're using an old 2002 Honda Element and staying in Airbnb.

I'd rather take my truck camper, but nope. Nobody is going to bother me in an old Honda. I don't think.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The article for my MY says
"Ford MIGHT experience issues"
I am not taking that chance with truck, that suddenly is worth 100 grands.
I hope they keep the promise of ULSD coming this December.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
This seems to be a pretty good source of info on Diesel fuel quality in Mexico:

https://www.mexicorvbuddies.com/diesel.php

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI, so I'm following too, there was a problem with certain makes/size of trucks and they weren't allowing them in, something about commercial size/weight etc, but apparently only at one or two AZ crossings. It was resolved last I heard.

Diesel fuel, have a few friends that go down there and diesel is easy to find, most trucks are Diesel. Quality, I'm assuming it's fine or fuel up at the border..

Here's a link to website, RVillage that has several posts/threads on it to that might help...
https://www.rvillage.com/search?query=baja&type=group&submit=

Hope that helps. You didn't say where or how far down to Mexico. Baja or the mainland..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it truck MY of 2018, the camper of 2018 or you plan the trip in 2018?
In the past diesel fuel in Mexico was the biggest concern with modern diesel engines. I am interested if that is still the issue?
I plan to visit Baja and wonder who has 1st hand experience with their late fuels?
I think your SRW is good for Mexico.
I've been there few years ago with a bus and on Baja roads I had about 6" tolerance between leaving my side mirror on opposite vehicle, or rolling down the end of pavement.
From the guy who could easy drive 6-700 miles on US freeways, I become exhausted after 250 miles day trip.