Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want new TT trailer but don't want a "Throw Away"

SailorSteve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a double post (I hit enter too soon on the previous version).

I need your advice and experience. I'm in the market for a new TT and I don't want a typical 'throw away' unit. The last two units I had (Trail Lite and Aerolite) both rotted out from minor leaks that we're absorbed by the luan and foam floors. Aaagghhh! I had rot almost as I hate wasting money.

So, we want a midrange to upper midrange unit. Weight is not a huge consideration. Want a want is something that will last, if I maintain it well. While layout is important, it's what's under the lipstick that counts. It's the construction design, material, and assembly quality.

Is there a high quality midrange unit that will last?? Or should I save up for something like an Evergreen Everlite (fully composite) Arctic Fox, Outdoor RV Creek Side?? By the way, I like these 'Western' deigned travel trailers. They seem robust.

Please give me some feedback on a TT that long lasting, high quality, with good engineering. What's the best long term VALUE.

Thanks very much in advance. Regards, Steve
36 REPLIES 36

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Get a copy of the RV Consumer Groups Ratings Guide of the RV's out there. It rates each rig on several categories. The book was very helpful when we searched for an RV back in 2003.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you would consider a Evergreen Element Don't know what they cost, but the video reeks of quality materials and workmanship. This would be on my list if in the market. Another quality manufacturer you should check out is Lance travel trailers. Artic Fox and Northwood are mentioned as bing high quality by forum members as well, but from research, more expensive and heavy.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
I had bought a used 5vr and it "developed" severe roof leakage. I had to replace 1/2 of the roof. Had two 5vr afterwards, and every year once of twice a year, I would get on the roof, clean it as much as I could, and recalked EVERY seem, edges, around vents and sky lights, and a/c.

Never had another issues with roof - no leaks, whatsoever. Other than scraped a tree limb that caused a little damage than I fixed immediately.

I don't think it will make any difference if you speed $$ or $$$$$ on a new trailer, preventive maintenance and due diligence are the only things that will prevent water damage.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Nvr2loud wrote:

How bad was the rot?

My floor is rotting at the back of my 10 year old R-Vision, and I just planned on fixing with plywood when it finally rots right through to nothing. Didn't realize floor rot was such a big deal.

Guess it depends on how obsessive you are

I'm obsessive enough to know I don't like it rotting, but realistically I only spend 3-4 weeks per year in the trailer anyway, so it does not need to be perfect.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nvr2loud wrote:

How bad was the rot?

My floor is rotting at the back of my 10 year old R-Vision, and I just planned on fixing with plywood when it finally rots right through to nothing. Didn't realize floor rot was such a big deal.

Guess it depends on how obsessive you are
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
SailorSteve wrote:
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a double post (I hit enter too soon on the previous version).

I need your advice and experience. I'm in the market for a new TT and I don't want a typical 'throw away' unit. The last two units I had (Trail Lite and Aerolite) both rotted out from minor leaks that we're absorbed by the luan and foam floors. Aaagghhh! I had rot almost as I hate wasting money.

So, we want a midrange to upper midrange unit. Weight is not a huge consideration. Want a want is something that will last, if I maintain it well. While layout is important, it's what's under the lipstick that counts. It's the construction design, material, and assembly quality.

Is there a high quality midrange unit that will last?? Or should I save up for something like an Evergreen Everlite (fully composite) Arctic Fox, Outdoor RV Creek Side?? By the way, I like these 'Western' deigned travel trailers. They seem robust.

Please give me some feedback on a TT that long lasting, high quality, with good engineering. What's the best long term VALUE.

Thanks very much in advance. Regards, Steve

How bad was the rot?

Rover1
Explorer
Explorer
I think all the units mentioned would work well, however it all depends on how they are maintained and stored. I have found keeping any trailer under cover at all times makes a world of difference.