cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heatet

Hunter84
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 coleman lantern ..hot water not working..showing red light.on red light it shows dsi/flt..what does that mean and how do I fix..we are camping for the wk..thanks
10 REPLIES 10

TKW
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The easiest thing to do when the light comes on, is turn the switch off, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on ! Many times it will light.

It works for me too. I have to do that on one trip and not required on the next.??
2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab, 6.0l
2013 Timber Ridge 240RBS
Prodigy Brake Controller

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest thing to do when the light comes on, is turn the switch off, wait 30 seconds and turn it back on ! Many times it will light.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check for spider webs and nests in the chamber. If you have A/C does it turn on with that and just not propane?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
The red light will come on when the system is attempting to fire the gas. Once the flame actually starts, the red light goes out. If it's staying on, your system is not igniting.

First and simplest cause is no propane, or the knobs on the propane tank are turned off, or your dual tank cross over switch is in the wrong position.

Check your gas supply first. That is probably your problem. Make sure you stove lights, although it will demand much less, if the flame is not full or not lighting at all, you know the water heater is not firing because of a gas shortage somewhere.

Depends on BRAND of water heater and whether OEM switches have been used

Suburban OEM is like your description'
Atwood OEM......light only comes on when FAULT happens
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The red light will come on when the system is attempting to fire the gas. Once the flame actually starts, the red light goes out. If it's staying on, your system is not igniting.

First and simplest cause is no propane, or the knobs on the propane tank are turned off, or your dual tank cross over switch is in the wrong position.

Check your gas supply first. That is probably your problem. Make sure you stove lights, although it will demand much less, if the flame is not full or not lighting at all, you know the water heater is not firing because of a gas shortage somewhere.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Red light is a FAULT
On propane it typically means the Flame lit but failed to prove it....3 attempts then circuit board 'locks out' and throws Fault Light.

Main Flame when it lights off must prove it by the return signal generated (flame ionization/rectification)
This milliamp signal goes back to circuit board via the spark electrode assembly
No return signal......DC to gas valve is dropped.
Spark electrode needs to be 'engulfed' in main flame when it lights
Spark electrode wire connections must be clean/tight for milliamp signal

Now if you have a combo unit (gas/electric) and where using electric..FAULT Light comes on when millivolt signal on ECO/Gas Valve circuit is dropped due to bad connections on circuit board, ECO or gas valve (RED wires)
Millivolt signal is used so ECO is part of control loop
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those noble techs do a good job.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Hunter84
Explorer
Explorer
It is an Atwood..I've been in contact with several techs today..going to have a noble tech come out..thanks for all the help..glad to be a member..happy camping to all

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
What make is the water heater? I have a 2018 Jayco with an Atwood water heater, and after a week of use, the circuit control board stopped working, so I'm having a mobile RV tech install a new one.

There have been many cases of Atwood water heater circuit boards failing as of late.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
First check your battery, and propane supply.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman