cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WC840 on my megacab..questions

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. In the never ending quest to buying another RV we keep going back to a TC like we had before. Some background first.

We (wife and three boys, 10, 7 and 5) have been in many RV's over the years. Both before the kids and as they have grown...TT's, TC, and our last was a toy hauler. We have been looking to replace the toy hauler since our toys have got to large for the last toy hauler...a polaris xp4 1000 and kid quads with a few dirtbikes for us.

Problem we are having is the type of toy hauler to haul all this junk is HUGE. 38-40 foot fivers.

1. My truck is too small for those TH's.2007 2500 4x4 megacab cummins.

2. We like to go other places that make a huge fiver impossible to get into.

We loved our last older TC and even though it is REALLY tight for our large family...we are considering it again. This allows us to pull a flatbed (already have it) and also to boondock like we like to do without the toys sometimes.

We know the Northwood line and really like the Wolf Creek 840 layout.

My questions are....is this too much for my truck? I have e rated toyo mt's on it (285's), 5100 bilstiens, but no other suspension mods. What would I need to make this a possibility with this truck? A new truck is out of the question right now.

What tie down system? Our last truck was a 95 F350 and had stake pocket mounts and turnbuckles...but that truck had a solid thick bed. I don't trust this rams bed for that mount system..

and how about towing the flatbed? 4-5k pounds....

Just need some knowledge before the dealer tries to sell me subpar equipment!

Here is what I'm looking at.

Also what would be a good "deal"? In the past I have done 30 percent off on RV's...is the TC market similar? Any opinions on that?

thanks all willing to listen to advice and opinions!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
30 REPLIES 30

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab. Count the lugs for yourself:

Every one I've seen in person looks just like this. I dunno what else to say on that subject.

We've had several on here reporting their Mega Cab Cummins's at 7800-8100 tare on the scales. Maybe they're not "significantly" heavier than a regular crew cab, but they are still HEAVY, and leave very little between curb weight and GVWR for payload and passengers.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Jfresh wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
A SRW Megacab is too heavy to carry even the smallest of truck campers.

This a false statement. A megacab is not significantly heavier than a standard cc pickup.

It's ok, there's a lot of false info around here. Comical, most of the time.
It's so heavy, even the 1500 has 8 lug axles...... Is a good one.
Or how about Dodge has 2 chassis and never designed a mega cab for the half ton chassis???
To be OP, your truck will work great with that camper on it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Wrong truck get a long bed
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Jfresh
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:

This a false statement. A megacab is not significantly heavier than a standard cc pickup.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 3.73 4x4 Mega Cab, TOYO MT 4080LBS, Ride Rite Air Bags, Torklift SuperHitch and Tie Downs.
2015 Lance 865

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you mentioned in your post, please do not forget to add in the weight of your precious cargo. (Your wife and 3 kids).
Being "marginally" overweight to begin with and then adding the family........

The best summers of my life were with my kids while they were growing up. Please make sure that your truck is up to the task.

Good luck
Bill

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer

You can pull a much larger RV than you can carry, but even then, the weight of the megacab is going to restrict you based on pin weight.

It's shameful that they are willing to make trucks that are so big and heavy with so little payload. My 1 ton SRW has 2700 lb of payload, and even that doesn't seem like anywhere near enough. Trucks and their running gear got heavier as boxed frames became the norm, but for whatever reason, until recently, GVWR was the same as the 1990s when trucks weighed 20% or more less than they do now.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You guys missed that he's also looking to TOW.

It's one thing to be 1000lbs overweight with the camper if that's all you're going to have, but he's also going to be ANOTHER 1000lbs over with the tongue weight of the trailer behind him.

Dodge Megacabs are HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY right off the line, especially if it's a 4x4 Cummins Laramie with all the bells and whistles. Last empty weight I saw on one was over 8000lbs! They're so heavy even the 1500 series megacabs have heavy axles with 8-bolt hubs.

Throw 700lbs of people in the cab (even a relatively fit family of five is going to exceed 500lbs, and it's only going to get worse as the kids grow), and now you're down to <1200lbs of payload on a 2500. Now you're going to throw 3000lbs+ worth of camper in the bed and another 800-1000lbs on the receiver.

I guess if three times the truck's available payload capacity is ok with you, more power to ya.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
With trucks of our vintage you will be arguably overloaded with even a pop-up truck camper. As configured with the stock tires at xx psi, rated payload in the bed is going to somewhere around 1800# and with fully loaded pop-up campers coming in at 2000# or more. If you decided to go 1 ton SRW...you actually only get a few hundred more in payload because the tires remained the same (higher pressure on the door jam?) and you would be OK with a pop-up truck camper.

With that said...because of the short bed expect to carry little to no weight on the front axle and maybe even lose some off the front axle...not a big deal considering the boat anchor of an engine we have. For your setup you will essentially carry all the weight on the rear axle...make sure you do something about your tires as they are the weakest link. Followed closely by the lack of overloads, so something like supersprings, timbrens, stableloads or airbags will likely be needed.

Good luck and have fun.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW/6.7 CTD/AISIN/3.73
2013 AF 811
2004 Jeep TJ (slightly modded)
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some real numbers for a 2015 WC 840 on a 2006 Quad Cab, Cummins, SRW 8' bed.

truck full of fuel, nobody in truck.
Front 4080
rear 2900

Now with camper on, full of fuel, full of water, and food for weekend.
2 full propane tanks. WC has AC on it.
Front 4540
Rear 5760

Now my truck is an 8' bed and the Center of Gravity of camper added 450 lbs to front axle.
on your megacab with the short bed I don't know how much that will change.

This shows my camper weight was 3320 lbs.
my Truck Gross weight was 10300, but I think the weight sticker on door said 9900 lbs max,so yes, I was over weight.
And this was with nobody in the truck.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck will haul it. I would add Timbrens and upgrade the tires. I have a 2006 megacab cummins 2500, 3500lb camper lance 830, and the old boat was 4500lbs... with the new boat at 7-8K I am running 19.5 tires and wheels.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If the 840 is only around 3k wet, your truck will haul it with ease.
See my sig. The 860 is a lot heavier than that and no issues.
Last tires were 3950lb Toyos. Supported the camper up to and around Alaska for thousands of miles. I could use a sway bar and some stable loads as just the airbags I have make er a little bouncy.
A couple suspension upgrades are in order, but any diesel Mega is as heavy duty as any other 1 ton.
Just returned from a weekend trip towing my boat behind the camper. About 6klb trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I don't have enough payload, my truck is stickered for 9900, I would be almost 1000 pounds over.

My tires are rated at 3195 lbs. Seems I don't have enough tire either.

Boy it sure seems I made some wrong choices with this truck! Well, I guess that is that. Maybe Dodge will buy my truck back. lol.

They might be pissed that all the emissions equipment fell off and its EFI Live tuned....hah!

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
The 840 will weigh around 3,000lbs wet, what is your available payload? For tie downs, the two most popular systems today is Torklift and Happijac, either will work fine. The next thing to look at is your tire load capacity, there is a pretty big variance in load range E tires from 3,100-4,000 lbs. After that you may be looking at suspension enhancements like Stableloads, Super springs, Timbrens, Air bags, etc to level your truck back out.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Ok nothing in my glove box...and measured my bed, 6.5'. Had me sweating enough there I literally just ran outside!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll look in the glove box. Thought I had a 6.5' box, same as a short bed truck..hope your wrong, with all due respect! I love the truck and did not realize the limits when I bought it. I've done so much to it I'd hate to start over.