cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD Hitch Head Tote

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I have somewhere seen an ad for a device to carry the wd head and ball assy when they are removed from the TV. Does anyone have a link to this device?
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
29 REPLIES 29

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
tll wrote:

This looks like a good idea, and I have thought about getting one a few times. Maybe this spring. It looks like the carrying position would be more convenient and allow you to hold the hitch away your body easier. Seems like every time I carry the hitch from the garage to the truck I end up with grease on my shirt or pants!

Did you see that big dark spot on Dutchman's jeans?

Yup, that's what made me think of it. Being a mechanic my whole life, I am used to being full of grease, but it seems that every time I need to put the hitch on or take it off I have just cleaned up and put on some clothes that actually don't have grease on them.

Not what you think guys! I noticed the dark spot only after I posted the photo on here. What that actually is, is water. I had just come from inside the house. We had just had supper, and I had just finished helping wash dishes. I washed his time and the wife dried. I'm not the "driest" person when it comes to "water sports" you know. That spot was a result of a splash over the sink when I was up against it! Actually, if it was a bit lower, it would have looked like I did something else ....????

Sorry, it's not grease, it's just water. That blue paper around the ball is a paper shop towel I tossed over it TOO keep the grease from spreading on everything!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I like to store the hitch in the trailer coupler. The coupler is then padlocked. Here are some photos of how this is easily accomplished:

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger when I do find a product that I really like I admit that I begin to sound like a commercial for the product. It is very well made and light but very strong. I received it 3 days after I ordered it with no special shipping other than the basic. I found the best price here.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty slick BigBird!

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
Ever since we bought the trailer it has been a real problem to remove the hitch head and store it in the pass through. I'm 72 now and in good health but I sure don't want to strain or injure my back.

I bought the Hitchgrip and it is a lot easier now to move the hitch from the truck receiver to the truck bed. As you can see I built a cradle to hold the hitch head. The bottom is covered with an old piece of carpet to allow it to slide in from the tail gate. I use a chain and lock to keep it from sliding to the front of the truck bed.

Great idea! Nice work.
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Ever since we bought the trailer it has been a real problem to remove the hitch head and store it in the pass through. I'm 72 now and in good health but I sure don't want to strain or injure my back.

I bought the Hitchgrip and it is a lot easier now to move the hitch from the truck receiver to the truck bed. As you can see I built a cradle to hold the hitch head. The bottom is covered with an old piece of carpet to allow it to slide in from the tail gate. I use a chain and lock to keep it from sliding to the front of the truck bed.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

tll
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
tll wrote:

This looks like a good idea, and I have thought about getting one a few times. Maybe this spring. It looks like the carrying position would be more convenient and allow you to hold the hitch away your body easier. Seems like every time I carry the hitch from the garage to the truck I end up with grease on my shirt or pants!

Yup, that's what made me think of it. Being a mechanic my whole life, I am used to being full of grease, but it seems that every time I need to put the hitch on or take it off I have just cleaned up and put on some clothes that actually don't have grease on them.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ther is no question that the ball handle makes it easier and a one hand operation.

Unfortunately my 4x4 sits a bit high for this old guy. As it is I need to grab the front of the hitch bar and under the ball to wrestle it onto the tail gate.

Even though it means lifting a few inches higher, maybe the balance of this devise might make it easier.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
My wife says I get grease on my clothes ever time I walk past the hitch. I blame her cooking.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
tll wrote:

tll
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
martipr wrote:
Walk a mile in my shoes! Some of us have have more money than physical ability.

LOL! And if you are short of both ...? I got a homeowner-grade hand truck at a yard sale. I push it up to the hitch head, lash it with a 3/8" nylon rope (left over from my sailboat), back the truck up and roll the head into the garage. Installing the head is the reverse. The hand truck stores the hitch at its proper height.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have two concerns with this product. How much damage does the carbide teeth do to the ball? The handle may hit the tow vehicle on some installations.

For me, I place the ball back in the coupler and lock it after unhitching, so this product won't work for me. I just might design a handle that will accomplish the same thing without grabbing the ball.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I have relatively cheap a plastic foot locker / trunk in the TV bed which holds my 10 ton bottle jack, and an electric chain saw - with room for the wd hitch head. The hitch mounted mud flaps are harder to store.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT