cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution bars

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, selling my TT and looking for some input. My sale includes hitch weight distrubtion bars, and anti sway bar. The prospective buyer, was asking about details on the weight distribution bars and that I should have details on that. Says they need to be adjusted per vehicle. I bought my mine new, and they put them on. What adjustments are needed? I know mine go on the 4th link of the chain. What else would be needed other than if they have a higher truck, maybe it's three links or five links if smaller?

Made it sound like this was a big deal..how big of deal is it?

Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I went out and found they are ez lift bars, 10000 lbs, found instructions online. Like the majority said, I'll just defer snyone to get it professionally done and that there's info online if they want it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new buyer will have to reset the WD system unless he has the exact same truck as the OP. As long as the bars are sized properly, and right now that is how I'm taking it, then the new owner will have to set it up according to his TV.

BTW, the rating if he bars should be embossed into the bars!

And kudos to the OP on getting a forsale ad to go to 2 pages!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
IN truth. It is the buyer's responsibility to take care of the hitch setup. You should not even touch it, don't tell him what to do. Give him the instructions and leave him alone. Do not make yourself responsible for his safety.

Just tell him. This is what it came with. You can use it or not. Do not get involved in his truck setup.

I agree with this. If he wants the trailer he'll figure it out. The most you can do is make suggestions where to find info, such as here, but it is ultimately up to the buyer no matter what you tell him.
The rating is stamped in the bars.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IN truth. It is the buyer's responsibility to take care of the hitch setup. You should not even touch it, don't tell him what to do. Give him the instructions and leave him alone. Do not make yourself responsible for his safety.

Just tell him. This is what it came with. You can use it or not. Do not get involved in his truck setup.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Just because a previous owner used something hardly guarantees that it was sized properly in the first place. Some dealers will sell the highest rated bars, "Just in case", even though they may result in poor performance. I would want to know the ratings, but that may just be me.

Why do they sell the oversized bars? To reduce inventory costs.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I think we are going in the wrong direction here. What the buyer is probably looking for is the weight classification on the bars. They can range from 400 to 1400 pounds and will affect the performance of the setup.

This WD distribution system has already been used by the OP for towing his trailer which he now wants to sell so we have to presume he was supplied with a correctly sized system. As I read it the prospective buyer is simply asking for information about this particular WD system so he can determine if it's what he really wants to run and what would be involved in correctly setting it up for his particular TV. Doesn't sound unreasonable at all to me as it's information the OP should be able to provide.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I think we are going in the wrong direction here. What the buyer is probably looking for is the weight classification on the bars. They can range from 400 to 1400 pounds and will affect the performance of the setup.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
On the trunion and round bar type WDH's, the unloaded ball height is significant. The steps to set up an equalizer or E2 are well documented on the vendors site so they might be for your hitch. If the prospective owner has doubts, negotiate the sale of the TT without the WDH and let him buy his own and have it professionally installed.

I transferred the WHD from my old 1500 to my current 2500HD and the ball needed to be lowered. I'm on the last hole of an drop shank. If I had to drop the ball more, I'd be looking at a $100 shank.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There should be some kind of label or sticker on the bars at least. Then Google can find you the original directions - Etrailer does have great directions and videos.

I find that these directions are quite good. You can learn yourself and explain, or point your buyer.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I find the factory instructions are very lacking ... as I just purchased a new weight/sway bar system.

etrailer.com or You-Tube has lots of useful information on most brands.

offer this advice and LET HIM do the research.

RandACampin
Explorer II
Explorer II
What brand is the hitch? BTW the prospective buyer is right, he may even need to readjust after he puts his gear in.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you can also tell him to go to etrailer.com on you tube they have several videos on how to set up the hitch and bars.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I would look up instructions from manufacture, print them out and give to buyer. Would save all the hassle. Just look how many posts here on WDH.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"