cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well finally out with the best TV I've had

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer

She was a great TV, never had a bit of trouble other than the usual items ALL manufacturers have. Some more than others but this truck did everything I ask with very few problems, but it was babied. The garage certainly helped the aging process along with service records far exceeding Cummins/ Ram recomeditions.
Bad news was the Grand Junction was not so good even though it was also garaged and pampered. The fivers for sell on OT and the like are amazing, they out number the hispa population, ah forget it. There is just down right plenty for sale driving down prices.
It was a sad drive for me in the morning turning in the old girl.

But the ride home a few hours later was nice :W

New 2015 Tiffin Phaeton 36 GH with a Cummins ISL and a Allison 3000.

Blast to drive back to the stick house, about 200 miles from Missoula, Montana.

Not sure about MPG as I didn't lead it but the DIC reported 8.2 when I got home at 55-62 MPH. It is not a flat drive by any means and the winds were up. That is one thing I didn't like, WIND. Our fiver and truck it didn't seem to matter to much. I was shocked in the handling in mild wind condition with the big box RV. It was a constant battle with the steering wheel. Ol well sleep good that night :B
Bottom line, Love our new part time home away from home, but will miss that Ram ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin
35 REPLIES 35

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Me Again wrote:
You know Bridgestone makes R250's that fit MHs. :):)

Nice rig, how about some interior pics? Chris

Funny Chris but the Michelin's should last our age date I hope.

In case you thought I was kidding!
Sizes
11R22.5
255/70R22.5
275/70R22.5
11R24.5

Look fammiliar?

Maybe not a big difference Chris but it came with 275/80R/22.5 Michelins. It appears the 80R are now off the market for some reason. Maybe less sidewall to crack :W
I know when I dump the bags the front grill area has very little ground clearance with the 80's. 70's would set almost a half inch lower last I checked.
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
Me Again wrote:

Funny Chris but the Michelin's should last our age date I hope.

In case you thought I was kidding!
Sizes
11R22.5
255/70R22.5
275/70R22.5
11R24.5

Look fammiliar?

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Your ISL should have a 2 stage engine brake. Read up on it. My Red has Ex brake and i toggle back and forth from on to off as it usuallly slows it too much. Definately a learning curve.

There is no two stage (compression brake) on a 2015 Tiffin ISL engine unless you have the 42' Phaeton. Thanks for the advice though.
Our old Ram was pretty easy with the EB but it only had 4 gears to deal with.
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

Funny Chris but the Michelin's should last our age date I hope. Never have liked the big oval tire man tires, but it is what it is. I'll just watch the sidewalls closely as that is their weak point IMO.
Okay interior pic's maybe tomorrow. Kind of just moving things into into it now.
I will mention Tiffin gave us a extra case of the marble flooring. Not sure how to take that as to good or bad news but that bad boy weighted about 75-100 lbs :E It's unloaded into my garage now so it should help my weight ticket somewhat. Weights on first scale where
11560 Front
19800 Rear
31360 Gross

Full fuel, full water (90) empty black and grey, full LP (35) and a small carry on bag for each of us. Concerned about the rear GAWR of 21K, only have 1200 lbs to exceed that limit :E
But guess I just use the 2500 crowd's mentally in that there is no legal weight limits on RV's :B
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Your ISL should have a 2 stage engine brake. Read up on it. My Red has Ex brake and i toggle back and forth from on to off as it usuallly slows it too much. Definately a learning curve.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys
Dang that owners manual is about the same size as a carry on suitcase on the airlines. IT'S REALLY BIG ๐Ÿ˜›
Found both the Cummins ISL 9 manual and the Allison 3000 manual and just started looking at the Allison manual. It did say it would downshift to 300 RPM over governor speed which is exactly what it did. Lots more reading before our next outing though.
Had to waste a day to Spokane Camping World today for the DW :W All of our old interior items were the wrong color or something :H Got to keep the girl happy :B
Oh I ain't leaving the TV section, it's really interesting especially in winter when I have more down time.
Sorry Marty but I ain't going nowhere :W
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
DANG RICK!!! SON, you can't hide money, that's for sure:B...Couldn't afford a 2015 Ram??:B...OK, I'm done, you know I love you buddy.....It's a beautiful rig you have there and Tiffin manufactures a quality product from what I've seen...

You knew Fish would get a few barbs in on your ex-Ram:)...Cummins with the Allison 3000:B..you'll learn how the downhill breaking works with the Allison....I believe you have a great engine and tranny with your unit....it'll take some practice, but you know what to do and won't need a long learning curve....awesome unit to be sure.

Enjoy it and give us some run downs on how it's working for you....and don't be a stranger to the 5er or Tow Vehicle forums....You owned and towed with TV and owned and towed a 5er long enough to be expert on your opinions in here.

Again, great looking rig buddy..

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very disappointed in you Rick. Selling you Dodge Cummins. Really?

What next? Kick a puppy or two? :W

At least you kept the right engine and have a great tranny that goes in that "tank" of yours!! :B

Looks like a great rig Rick; I'm green with envy!! Happy trails man!! ๐Ÿ™‚
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like you really took a leap! Very nice, several full time friends have similar rigs and love them.

That is a complaint that I have heard about the wind especially around Palm Springs.

Come back once in a while and post with the little people!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
A picture that says it all with a RAM in front of a automotive parts store!

BTW... Nice rig I hear the old folks love them. :W

LOL Troy. You know when I took the photo from across the street at the Subway after lunch in Great Falls Montana I knew that would get a Ram rip once again from you.

spoon059 wrote:
Looks like quite the upgrade! Congrats on your new purchase and hope you put a LOT of miles on it! Are you planning on having a toad?

Thanks and the toad will be a 2015 GMC Canyon, if it ever gets off the rails ๐Ÿ˜ž . Good news today, it is in Spokane finally.

Triker33 wrote:
Time to install a Safe-T-Steer?

What is that?

Ductape wrote:
Everyone over corrects for a while moving into an A. Heeling over shifts your head to the side (even though the tires are in the same track) and you correct when you should not. Try driving with your steering hand deliberately locked and don't react when she leans over.

Gets easy with practice.

Thanks but that might work on a nice flat interstate highway but I was traveling on Montana/ Idaho state route 200. It is all 2 lane mostly with hills, turns and let's just say narrow lanes with no shoulders. Not to mention studded tire pitted asphalt.
If I locked my hand on that road I'd be floating down the Clark Fork River :W It is a beautiful drive along the river most of the way with big horn sheep ( Rams) in the trip every time we drive it.

Thanks for the congrats from everyone else who gave it. Part of the wind issue was the route we took like I explained above. The start of the trip in Missoula the wind was calm and it was a pleasure to drive.
Once I got into the hills and curves and wind it was a new experience for me. Same route I took with the Ram and 5er the day before. But this time the vehicle was new to me, and the transmission would suddenly change gears while descending hills even after I would pick a gear with the EB on. The red line is 2200 RPM and I know it geared it down to hit the 2500 RPM mark twice before I gave up with the EB until I learned more about it along with the Allison. There must be a way to roll the gears in that Allison downhill :B Just a side note, we have a 15% grade up to the stick house which is about 2 miles. Pulled it great in 3rd at 35 MPH ( speed limit). Stuck it in third and she stayed there just fine. Final private road drive I haven't measured the grade but it must have a short 18% section. The Ram needed first gear and give it hell. This Phaeton pulled it with ease in 2nd. I just need to learn the downhill operation of the coach.
Thanks again to all, see you down the road hopefully some day, even you Troy boy :B
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats; that's a beautiful unit that I'm sure you'll enjoy for a long time. It is very tough to let an old friend go, though!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Tiffin Red and tow a 20ft enclosed trlr behind it. You will get used to the wind, just relax and dont fight it.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
A picture that says it all with a RAM in front of a automotive parts store!

BTW... Nice rig I hear the old folks love them. :W

LOL two good last shots :B

It was the least I could do :B

Maybe he was just getting some touch up paint. ๐Ÿ™‚
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"