cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well, today it happened!! ~Updated~

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving down the freeway got the message for low fuel pressure. Few seconds later in to limp mode. Barely got off the freeway safely. AAA towed my truck to the Dealer. My HPFP grenaded at 9300 miles!! Took the injectors with it along with a myriad of other junk. And I do mean JUNK. 2016 Suer Duty with 9300 miles!!! Run nothing but Chevron diesel from a high volume station.

I'm done!! Back to gas!! Don't care if I only climb the mtns at 45 MPH!!! :M:M:M
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
177 REPLIES 177

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
kc8yhk wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ Incredible Fish! ^^^^^ There are idiots born every day that have knee jerk responses to everything.

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".

Well that's not very nice.

Ok. I will bite. You have never thought of some people's actions as making them idiots? If not you just have unusually pure opinions of people.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kc8yhk
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^ Incredible Fish! ^^^^^ There are idiots born every day that have knee jerk responses to everything.

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".

Well that's not very nice.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Idiot? Really?

I think I said "IDIOTS".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Fish, I said I was thinking about it.i have put 2,000 miles on my 2005 Ram since 2013 so I really don't know what I'm going to do yet. I just want a new 1500. I like them (Ram and chevy) so if I do it I'm going to get what I want because I definitely don't " need" it. It will be either a limited or high country/Denali.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Idiot? Really?
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey "FISH" as an aside this is what I noticed traveling from ElPaso to DFW and back thru your state around Christmas time. Only Fords doing the same task were older 7.3 units and only one newer GM.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
if you follow the story on the link above this couple seems to have a problem for whatever they buy.

chevman

True... You have to decide which is the least of evil for your needs.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

For some people or for some companies the diesel emissions just doesn't work for them with the downtime and trips to the shop.

There's an oil/gas company that service some of our gas wells that just completed switching all their ram cummins trucks to ram 6.4 hemi trucks. I just learned about this last month.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
if you follow the story on the link above this couple seems to have a problem for whatever they buy.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Heck even my 98's WIF sensor went off when it had a 1/4 teaspoon of water in the filter housing. It was left over from the 30 gallons of water I pumped into my truck one morning. :M

So water get's into the fuel and then there is rust??? What the heck from???

I'm not talking about the old fuel systems. Even a 7.3PSD can engulf sand and water and not phase the injectors.

Think about the precision that the injectors have to be machined to hold 20k+ psi of fuel pressure on them without leaking, and then think about these precision surfaces with just a flake of rust that prevents them from seating properly. It doesn't take much and is the reason Ram went with a dual filter system like Ford.

A true water separator won't let water through. I never understood people saying the dealer told them rust was in the system. IDK, could be but not likely. My thoughts are that the filter stops the water and fuel to the pump. The pump that GM and Ford uses grenades when starved.

I still haven't really figured out why the V8s are having to run such high fuel pressures to make the same power as the 6. It takes so much fuel to make so much power. maybe someone could school me on this? I would think the volume of fuel it can put out at the required pressure would be the thing.

6.0 injectors are the same way. Run a 6.0 out of fuel and you just as well order some injectors.

It has nothing to do with a V8. Diesel fuel is difficult to atomize and atomized fuel burns cleaner with less soot and less soot means a more reliable emissions system. Hence the reason for the increase fuel injection pressure.

The 2.8 I4 Duramax in the Colorado runs 29k psi and its a inline engine.

More reliable emission system or more reliable injection system..........hhmmmm I'll take the injection system Jim! lol

Again the fuel system failures are very rare, but the emissions problems are very common.

I would say guy would disagree with you!

Link

In the Chevy thread your considering a Ecodiesel with a CP4. I can't tell if your coming or going.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with our Ford Excursion. 2005 V10, 150K miles, used primarily to tow out now sold TT. Took to Yellowstone from VA 4x and all over the east coast. Original 4R100 trans, nothing (and I mean nothing) has been done to motor save for recommended maintenance. The V10 hands down has been the 2nd best motor I have owned. FYI best is my daily commuter 1995 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan V6.

Canโ€™t speak for the new gassers, but the V10 is a very good motor, powerful and reliable.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Since we are so off topic, can I use this as a moment to ask why select people insist on quoting a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote instead of just replying and not taking up so much screen space?

Just curious if there is a reason...

Tablets and phones are painful to delete previous content on though Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s not always the reason. Adding a blue font would take more effort, for example.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we are so off topic, can I use this as a moment to ask why select people insist on quoting a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote instead of just replying and not taking up so much screen space?

Just curious if there is a reason...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm brand loyal when the brand I buy doesn't fail. That's how a company makes me want to buy another one.

Treating me decently when a known problem rears its ugly head, rather than fixing said problem before I have to deal with it doesn't make me brand loyal, it makes me look for alternatives. I have no real favorites when it comes to trucks, I own a Ford and a Dodge.

Might want to take up walking as they all have known failure points.

When a company has had problems with a part that causes such devastating and expensive problems for 7 years and the customers are worried and not sure if the company will back their product is crazy. If I was scared that Ram was not going to back my truck I would be shopping right now for another brand. I definitely would not buy from them again and I definitely would not step down in capabilities to stay with them. People can make fun of my recalls but at least I don't have to worry if they are going to back their product.

Then I hope you don't have to deal with fuel contamination because Ram, GM and Ford techs all look for signs of contamination before any warranty work is approved plain and simple. If your fuel system gets a taste of water, rust will follow and a complete fuel system is in your cards.

As for the problems they're not widespread like you and others portray and most people don't live in fear including myself.
The Ford fanboys love to poke fun at the GM DEF
fill location. (under the hood) But I have NEVER read of an account where a GM owner mistakenly put DEF in the diesel tank... Perhaps GM knows a thing or two about the likely hood of people making a mistake.

I do not know about the Rams, but the Ford forums have had MANY reports from people that did just that.

Is that why GM moved it for the next model?

x2
I have not personally seen a 2017/2018, but read in several publications that the tank was in the same place... And some said even more obnoxious that before... So the fill would pretty much have to be the same. I suppose it could be anoter door on the passenger side, but it could not share the same door as the diesel fill which is on the driver side.

The Fords DEF and Diesel share the same door.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW