cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about the 6.4L Power Stroke ???

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
I'm working a deal on a 2008 F-350 DRW King Ranch southern truck with 55K. The truck is what I want but I'm as afraid of the 6.4L as the 6.0L from what I've been reading. I don't know whether to grab this one or look for a high mileage 2011 with the 6.7L or jump ship and go with the Cummins. Any advise??
23 REPLIES 23

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6.4 in a 2008 F-250. Just turned over 209,000 miles. Only thing I needed to replace was the radiator. Very happy with it.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
There are some good videos on YouTube from a guy who knows his way around the Ford/Navistar diesel engines. His channel is "powerstroke help". He goes over the strengths and weaknesses of each generation of engine. You might want to check that out.
I checked it out, awesome advise. Thanks a million!!!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
baggy pants wrote:
Sounds like most of these failures are do to poor maintenance practices or a bad fuel supply and not so much due to pump failure. I'll see the truck on Friday and see if its worth taking a chance. Thanks for every ones input.

True, but little consolation when you really aren't in control of the fuel supply or could make a simple mistake that costs thousands.

Not for me, thanks.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some good videos on YouTube from a guy who knows his way around the Ford/Navistar diesel engines. His channel is "powerstroke help". He goes over the strengths and weaknesses of each generation of engine. You might want to check that out.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garry&Gayle wrote:
I see most of the responders own Rams, have they ever owned a 6.4 or just hear say. I have 92K on my 08 F450 6.4 and so far a couple sensors and a HPFP, other than that its been trouble free, just keep up your maintenance and ask for service records, no records don't buy.
You will notice these same Fiat, Ram boys post negative comments on all Ford post.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I see most of the responders own Rams, have they ever owned a 6.4 or just hear say. I have 92K on my 08 F450 6.4 and so far a couple sensors and a HPFP, other than that its been trouble free, just keep up your maintenance and ask for service records, no records don't buy.

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like most of these failures are do to poor maintenance practices or a bad fuel supply and not so much due to pump failure. I'll see the truck on Friday and see if its worth taking a chance. Thanks for every ones input.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I 'll be the odd man out I guess. WE bought the 2010 F350 with the 6.4L engine new in 2009 and we have not had a peck of trouble with it.
Yes it is thirsty at about 13.5mpg average everyday driving. Steady 60mph highway driving will give about 16mpg, towing about 10mpg. All pollution equipment intact due to exhaust testing in my jurisdiction.
I am approaching 100K mi and the "drive to clean exhaust filter" frequency is becoming a little more regular leading me to think I may have to do some DPF maintenance sooner than later.
If you can remove the DPF in your jurisdiction the fuel economy climbs amazing as well as the power. and you don't have to deal with DPF cleaning******at all.
To the dollars being equal the 6.7 will give you better fuel economy, however if the 6.4 is a clean low mileage truck with a steal of a price I would not be afraid of it.
And yes the 6.7 hpfp have been known to detonate and cost well over 10K to repair.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Hmmmmmm sure wish I had that post of the mechanic that works on this engine day in and day out has to say about it. :E

Rick, help a brutha out! :B

That would be FordMasterTech. He doesn't recommend a 6.4 either.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmmm sure wish I had that post of the mechanic that works on this engine day in and day out has to say about it. :E

Rick, help a brutha out! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
Couldn't wait for the Ram basher to show up in a CP4 post.
I'll calling BS on your cousin and your CP3 comments. Show us some paper work.
Just black the customer name and VIN, leave the dealership though. Ahh what the heck, give us everything Hillary :W

That's what I thought, no proof as usual. Just gibberish from a troll.

Capt. Rico, :B
The Ford basher raises his ugly head again... I don't work at this dealership so how can I provide any documentation. I get this info from my cousin either during Christmas or a family get together! Not like I have the server locked up and keeping this private. :W

BTW... Is this you trying to impress the ladies and looking like a fool!

Capt Rico

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't wait for the Ram basher to show up in a CP4 post.
I'll calling BS on your cousin and your CP3 comments. Show us some paper work.
Just black the customer name and VIN, leave the dealership though. Ahh what the heck, give us everything Hillary :W

That's what I thought, no proof as usual. Just gibberish from a troll.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I had 3 Fords over 20 years including a 7.3L and 6.0L diesels. I bought a new truck last year and you can see what I bought in my signature.

I agree that the 6.7L is much better than the previous engines, but the CP4 high pressure fuel pump failures that trashes the entire fuel system to the tune of a $12k repair kept me away from buying one. Also be warned that several of these failures have not been covered by warranty by Ford leaving the owner on the hook. That was simply a chance I was not about to take especially since I plan on keeping my truck a long time, well past the warranty period.

To clarify the HPFP failure left the insurance company on the hook and then for the insurance company to go after the fuel supplier for there contaminated fuel.

Contaminated fuel was not to blame for many of these failures. This is a well known fact on all of the Ford diesel forums, as well as by many here. Ford's out is that the fuel was contaminated with water, even though the water in fuel light never illuminated on every case I read about. The true problem is the design of the pump itself which completely relies on fuel for lubrication.

In any case it is a "delicate" fuel pump and it would be irresponsible not to inform a potential purchaser of a vehicle equipped with the pump of the issue. There are other trucks out there equipped with fuel pumps that do not have this issue.

Ford has a documented procedure to determine fuel contamination. It's basically look for internal rust, DEF crystals or gasoline. If any has been found the warranty is void.

The shop my cousin works at has replaced 3 HPFP and 1 injector failure since the 6.7 has been on the market and all three HPFP failures were gas contamination. Also in the RAM side he's replaced several CP3 pumps for water contamination and gas and lot's of injectors.

And the seimens pump in the 6.4 is also very sensitive to gas as well.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
I had 3 Fords over 20 years including a 7.3L and 6.0L diesels. I bought a new truck last year and you can see what I bought in my signature.

I agree that the 6.7L is much better than the previous engines, but the CP4 high pressure fuel pump failures that trashes the entire fuel system to the tune of a $12k repair kept me away from buying one. Also be warned that several of these failures have not been covered by warranty by Ford leaving the owner on the hook. That was simply a chance I was not about to take especially since I plan on keeping my truck a long time, well past the warranty period.

To clarify the HPFP failure left the insurance company on the hook and then for the insurance company to go after the fuel supplier for there contaminated fuel.

Contaminated fuel was not to blame for many of these failures. This is a well known fact on all of the Ford diesel forums, as well as by many here. Ford's out is that the fuel was contaminated with water, even though the water in fuel light never illuminated on every case I read about. The true problem is the design of the pump itself which completely relies on fuel for lubrication.

In any case it is a "delicate" fuel pump and it would be irresponsible not to inform a potential purchaser of a vehicle equipped with the pump of the issue. There are other trucks out there equipped with fuel pumps that do not have this issue.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes