Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I safely pull?

bgitler
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have been trolling towing capacity forums for several weeks because I decided to purchase a tt and need a vehicle to tow it. I have narrowed my vehicle search down to a 2004 Ford f150 Crew Cab 5.4 L V8 4x4 (Towing Capacity 7,700 lbs) and a 2004 Avalanche 5.4 L v8 4x4 (Towing Capacity 7,100 lbs). Most people list their vehicle and tt and ask if it is safe to pull. However, I'd like to hear from all of you how much weight would be safe for me to pull, and your opinion of these 2 vehicles.

Thank you in advance, the snow is melting and I'm getting itchy to go camping!

Ben
35 REPLIES 35

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgitler wrote:
Thanks TerryAllen. A friend of mine has a tt I really like with a dry weight of 4,200 lbs. So, even if I added another 1,000 lbs (my kids like to bring a lot of stuff) it sounds like I would safely be able to tow everything.

Would you choose the ford f 150 over the Avalanche? Also, I've been mostly looking in the $15,000 price range for vehicles, which means they have between 70 - 90,000 miles for the most part. Should those types of miles be a concern?

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Well. Mine has 70K on it, and still runs, and looks like new. The only problem with the 5.4 of that era is the spark plugs. They are hard to get out. But that is not really huge problem.

And yes I would chose the 150 over the Ave. But then I like truck, and Fords. And in truth the reason the tow capacity is so different on the 2 vehicles, is that the Ave weighs a lot more. So it is rated to tow less.

as for your payload. You need to weigh the truck empty, and subtract that from your GVWR. That will be your payload. So IF the truck weighs in at 5500lbs. and you have a 7200lb GVWR. It will have a 1700lb payload. And unless it is a King Ranch. It shouldn't weigh that much.

Also. IF it has the towing package. the hitch is rated at 950lb for a WDH. How do I know. Because Ford uses the same receiver for all of it's trucks, and the max tow capacity for a properly equipped F150 in 2004 was 9500lb. So that is what mine is. It is stamped right on it. Set it up right, and that TT will follow right along with no wiggle, no wobble. You will have a very relaxed tow. It prolly does not have tow haul. So just turn OFF the Over Drive and ride. the 5.4 love to run around 65 MPH at 2400 RPM, IF it has the 3.55 rear. Running free, clean, and in the power band, and in the +/- 10 MPG area.

So. IF you get a TT that comes in ready to camp at 6000lb. It will have a tongue weight of 750lbs or so. Leaving you with around 750lb of payload, which is plenty. And If you get one like your friends, and you load it to 5200lb. You will have 876lb of payload left. I would be VERY happy with that kind of weights. And I'm happy with mine. My TT sleeps 10, and it does for the week at the beach, and I carry all the bikes and grill. I load 8 bikes on the back, a grill, and that is where all the wet stuff like awning mats are thrown for the trip home.

Contrary to what some say. 3/4 ton of payload is not tooo bad.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
spud1957 wrote:
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Please post the payload capacity from the drivers door jamb sticker to get a definitive answer

Just a side note on this comment (and no offense implied), but I've owned 6 trucks (2 Ford, 3 GM, and 1 Dodge), 2 passenger cars, and 1 minivan, yet none of them ever had a sticker on the door jamb that gave any indication of payload capacity.

The regulation for the label came into effect around 2004/2005. So if your vehicle is older than that, you won't have the label.

Yeah. It is not there on a 2004 F150. It just gives the GVWR, and axle ratings.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what Terryallan said for that vintage of half ton. Stick to under 5k dry and you should be pleased.

I also recommend looking into a GM 6.0L truck from that era. They have a little power power than the 5.4L and 5.3L in the half tons yet use a little less fuel than either from that time. And they come in vehicles that have higher payloads which open you up to say 7k dry TTs.

FWIW, the Avalanche is based on the longer Suburban SUV wheelbase and was also offered in 3/4 ton with 8.1L and over 11k pound of tow rating. It can be a bit more than glorified Tahoe. Payload is low on them, though.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Please post the payload capacity from the drivers door jamb sticker to get a definitive answer

The Tire and Loading sticker didn't become required by law until 2004 ish?, so it's a possibility neither the GM nor the Ford will have this sticker.
*Edit, just looked it up, rule was changed in 2002, but my late build 2002 doesn't have it, so must have started in 2003.

To OP, because of RV's heavy hitch weight, many tow vehicles tend to run out of available payload before exceeding max tow rating. This is because a 7000 lb. boat trailer might have <10% tongue weight, where an RV could have 12-15% tongue weight. Might not seem like much difference, but it can add up.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:

Just a side note on this comment (and no offense implied), but I've owned 6 trucks (2 Ford, 3 GM, and 1 Dodge), 2 passenger cars, and 1 minivan, yet none of them ever had a sticker on the door jamb that gave any indication of payload capacity.

The regulation for the label came into effect around 2004/2005. So if your vehicle is older than that, you won't have the label.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry duplicate post.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgitler wrote:
Hello,

I have been trolling towing capacity forums for several weeks because I decided to purchase a tt and need a vehicle to tow it. I have narrowed my vehicle search down to a 2004 Ford f150 Crew Cab 5.4 L V8 4x4 (Towing Capacity 7,700 lbs) and a 2004 Avalanche 5.4 L v8 4x4 (Towing Capacity 7,100 lbs). Most people list their vehicle and tt and ask if it is safe to pull. However, I'd like to hear from all of you how much weight would be safe for me to pull, and your opinion of these 2 vehicles.

Thank you in advance, the snow is melting and I'm getting itchy to go camping!

Ben

The problem you're going to have is the tongue wt and your small 1500lb load capacity. With over 400lbs of passengers to start with and about 100lbs for a WDH you are going to have to have an empty bed, no cargo in the truck and limit your tongue wt. to under 1,000lbs. At 13% that equates to a TT wt. of 7,000 with an empty wt. in the neighborhood of 5500 allowing about 1500lbs for all the TT cargo and for a family of 4 IMO that's not unreasonable. This leaves almost ZERO excess.

A lot recommend around a 4 to 5K dry wt. for 1/2Ts with the smaller payloads such as your 1500lbs.

Of course it still amazes me how someone can run around towing a trailer with an empty and basically useless truck bed which is often one of the reasons one buys a truck to use. OH WELL:h

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

bgitler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks kaydeejay abd fla-gypsy. I was researching payload for the ford and came across the 2004 Trailer Life towing guie...wow! I did not realize the number of different F 150's. Also, the guide breaks towing capacity into conventional towing and 5th wheel. Which is more accurate for me? because there is quite a big difference in towing capacity.

I'm not buying a 5th wheel but I assume the difference is because of wind resistance of a 5th wheel, and conventional could describe pulling a regular trailer with only gear.

As far as payload is concerned, it looks to be 1,500 lbs.

Thanks again

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Well the carrying capacity on the door post is based on a 155 pound driver. Anything more comes right off the total capacity. Just a guess that the F150 might have a 1500 pound carry capacity but you need to find out.
Sorry, WRONG!
The "Combined weight of occupants and cargo must not exceed" number does NOT allow for a 150# driver. The driver has to be included in the total loading calculation.
Where the confusion arises is that the Maximum Towing Capacity numbers DO allow for that 150# driver in the truck.

BGitler - Whatever truck you are looking at, find the yellow and black "Tire Loading Information:" label on the driver's door pillar and read that "Combined weight......." number.
Subtract the weight you expect to load into the truck, including a full tank of fuel. Allow another 100# for the WD hitch equipment.
What is left is the Maximum tongue weight of a trailer you can pull within limits.

Check the weight limit of your hitch to make sure you are not exceeding it's WD capacity (probably 1000#).
Typical TTs put 13% of their total weight on the hitch, so divide the lesser of that number you just created or the hitch capacity by 0.13 to get a maximum LOADED trailer weight.
Then check that number is less than the Truck Maximum Tow rating LESS all you load into the truck minus 150# for the driver.

This should get you pretty close!
Good luck
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

bgitler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks TerryAllen. A friend of mine has a tt I really like with a dry weight of 4,200 lbs. So, even if I added another 1,000 lbs (my kids like to bring a lot of stuff) it sounds like I would safely be able to tow everything.

Would you choose the ford f 150 over the Avalanche? Also, I've been mostly looking in the $15,000 price range for vehicles, which means they have between 70 - 90,000 miles for the most part. Should those types of miles be a concern?

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I for one think you can safely pull close to the max the manufacturer specifies, keeping the payload in mind. I personally do not care for the Avalanche due to its weak brakes, but the 1500 Silverado/Sierra properly equipped, will do the job. I do like the F-150 and they made a heavy model IIRC, in that year and is a good fit if you can find one.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
double post
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bgitler
Explorer
Explorer
age, please stop responding if you are going to be rude.