cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you use for dually air pressure gauge and inflator

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
Being a new owner of a drw truck, I found it was difficult to check the rear inner tire air pressure the same way I used to when I had the srw. I can't imagine trying to put air in those inner tires as I can barely reach the valve stem with what I have. There's got to be an easier way.
What are you dually people using to accomplish this?
2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel, Firestone Airbags, On-Board Air compressor
2014 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift Tie-downs, Torklift fast guns
13 REPLIES 13

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Seriously?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
I use Sam's Club or Firestone. They have the long tools and the patients to do this...

How many patients does it take to do the job? Which hospital did said patients come from? Hopefully not the mental hospital.
Bob

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you guys for the helpful suggestions. I think l will try the flex hose filler and gauge before trying the monitoring system.

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
T3Pair
Get yourself a tire monitoring system, a sending unit screws on to each valve stem, Monitor on the dash shows pressure and temp. at each tire at all time. I have an extra booster that gives me all the same information on the tires on my boat trailer (triple axle) works great, an alarm goes off is one starts going low or temp starts getting high (wheel bearing failure). Cost in Canada for a good setup is around $500.00

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Just need a dual head chuck for filling, also on the gauge you carry.
Either,for me, flex hose just easier to twist around. The fillers with gauge are nice as you don't need to remove, then check air with gauge. Though I still use gauge when done. Fillers Im partial to ones with pop out scale verses gauge or window.

You can get a USA made Milton506 for 30ish

or a HarborFreight that I picked up on impulse one day for 7.
You can spend as much or little as you want-several configurations as far as gauges. Other than recommending carrying your own gauge cause Ive found filling station gauges all over the map, is to look at the angle of dual chuck. I have one shown in pic that I use for most stuff around the house, the angle is so shallow physically cannot use inside chuck to fill on the outside dual. Id also not recommend hose extensions on truck. I used on previous MH because of the liners/hubcaps that needed removing, they are more hassle & problematic IMO than learning to seat a dual head chuck.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several types of valve extenders.
I used about 1" long extenders when short valve would hide behind inner rim, making it accessible for the chuck. The good ones have smooth cap, that keeps dirt away.
Don't use any hose extenders, as those are often source of leaks and I lost a tire to one of those dually equalizers.
When I like the idea of equalizers, with a gauge with color indication, I would hesitate to use them without TPMS.
I like to air my tires at home not only for the convenience, but also to avoid water some of the service hoses will dump into your tires.
I have oilless compressor at home, what give good air, but is slow with 1 gallon tank.
So my best way is to set the regulator to desire pressure, lock the chuck on the valve and go to other tasks.
After few minutes I move the chuck to other tire and go to other tasks again.
This way I have no surprises down the road.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
arto_wa wrote:
I use this type of gauge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Truck-Dually-Tire-Air-Inflator-Dual-Chuck-With-Dial-Gauge-/231134...

(I am not affiliated in any way)

When I had my dually I used this same type gauge/inflator. Never used the extenders from the stories of putting tires out of balance to ripping themselves off from centrifugal force. I also never paid any attention to the truck's tire pressure recommendation. The truck doesn't know which tire is on it, go by the info on the tire itself.

I ran 80 in all tires when loaded. Empty I lowered the rears to 45 and IIRC the fronts to 65.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I use Sam's Club or Firestone. They have the long tools and the patients to do this and usually dont charge anything for the service. I do carry a long air gauge but will not attempt to air up the duals.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

garymunson
Explorer
Explorer
Google tire valve extenders on Camping World.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good chuck will have ribs inside to hold on the valve when slightly tilted.
This way you can lock the valve and leave it for the time it will take to inflate big tire.
For inflation, read the label on the door to start with.
When front tire pressure is easy to figure out, the rear on dually will change a lot with the load.
When my dually empty should have like 30 psi, the fully loaded comes to 80 psi.
When you drive empty with 80 psi, you better have good dental insurance.

T3PAIR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll look into that. I couldn't decide if a longer straight gauge or one with a flex tube would be easier to work with. Also, do you air up your tires to max psi when hauling the camper? Mine show max at 80 psi or so.

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I use this type of gauge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Truck-Dually-Tire-Air-Inflator-Dual-Chuck-With-Dial-Gauge-/231134...

(I am not affiliated in any way)
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I have an offset gauge like the truckers use.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter