cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use to jack up your trailer?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a floor jack when ever possible but when I use a bottle jack seems like a lot of weight centered at one spot.

When I use a floor jack the stress is spread out over 4 or 5 inches.

Using a bottle jack all the weight/stress is centered around 1 inch. I don't feel good about balancing 2X4 on top of the disk thing at top of jack.

Is there anything to dissipate the stress over a larger area when using a bottle jack?

If so what is it called and do you have a link? The search term "axle protector" didn't turn up much.

What do you use to jack up trailer?

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
21 REPLIES 21

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OP here... Thanks for all replies and links. I searched using the term "axle protector" and that was obviously the wrong term.

Dakota98 wrote:
Never need a Jack,

DW just lifts the side having the flat & I fix it, same with leveling.:B

Dakota, probably going to be cheaper in long run to get a jack:B
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I like the one that Jaxom posted better than the Old-Biscuit one as it does not need to be welded to the bottle jack.

Jaxom suggested pad
Old-Biscuit suggested pad
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Jozzieo
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the one Old-biscuit posted the link to. I welded up one like it years ago, made a few and sold them to fellow RV buds, but stopped as it was just too labor intensive for me. I like the one in the link, heavy and not welded.
All RV's should be equipped with these, safety first...
Jim and Sue Osbern,
08 Ford Super Duty 3/4 PSD 4x4 lariat Crew Cab. '07 3400RL Montana, Maytag's with 220 dryer, Satdome, Rear A/C unit, Digital amp Gage, Vena tank monitor, Rear camera, 3,000W. Inv, Roto chocks, air bags My Mod's

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
I think the book for my Apex says to jack on the frame.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A stack of 2x4s on the 1.5 ton floor jack to put the frame up on jack stands to replace springs.
2 ton 2 stage bottle under the axle :E to change a tire.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2" slice of channel iron with a piece of pipe welded on the bottom. I slip the pipe over the bottle jack screw. Then place the channel under the axle between the U-bolts for the springs.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
6 ton jack and a couple of 4x8 blocks of wood
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use my old 12 ton shorty truckers special with a 10" base on the side of the road situations. It came with a axle cradle (short legged U channel 6" long) that captures the axle and the top of the jack. I've jacked fully loaded 20k GN equipment trailers down to 1750 boat trailer axles.
Simply lifting one end of the axle 2-3" is safer than jacking the whole side of the trailer.

Now around the place here I use hydraulic floor jacks when the trailer in on a concrete pad. Makes jacking from the frame or the end of the axle a snap.

As was mentioned make a dry run at home with whatever method you choose. The side of the road is not a good place to find out that ramping one wheel won't raise the other.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Never need a Jack,

DW just lifts the side having the flat & I fix it, same with leveling.:B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a screw jack at the junk yard out of an older F-250 and made a half sleeve out of 2 1/2" pipe which locates right on the u-bolts with solid tabs welded between. I put a piece of inner tube rubber between the axle and the sleeve and jack right under it. The jack is strong and lightweight and doesn't leak oil. It works so well, I use it at home instead of my floor jack. I can't get the floor jack under the u-bolts because it's too wide. I don't like jacking on the axle tube.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I made a cradle similar to the 1/2 pipe one. Ideal for off-roading in the Jeep.
https://bmihydraulics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=61&category_id=15&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a ramp that I made that does exactly as Drew K said. Works slick and easy. I've used the same type of ramp jack for years on stock trailers. Some were loaded to the gils with cattle.

I just picked up a 20 ton pneumatic bottle jack at Harbor Freight for $100.00.. It is fantastic... no more laying there and pumping away.. hook it up and go,,, it can also be used manually.. I never had an issue using a bottle jack vs a floor jack.. the impact point is fine.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bottle Jack Axle Saddle
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31