cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use to lube your stabilizer jacks?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to lube your stabilizer jacks, both the threaded rod part and the various pivot points in the mechanism?

Thanks
52 REPLIES 52

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
canoe on top wrote:
WD-40 should not be used on firearms. It can penetrate primers and make them not work. Our department firearms officer told me many years ago if I had a can of WD-40 to place it under the tire and back over it. A misfire for a hunter might mean missing a duck. In law enforcement, a misfire is quite a different matter.

That information has been out since the 1970s.

Nothing beats Eezox for firearms.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
well I bought a can by mistake called water displacement by w-d-40. but most time I use w-d40. use that for a lot of things. now its all happy-camping

tworivers
Explorer
Explorer
I have use WD-40 and other types of oils but I found the best is krown rust protection T 40
2000 ford F250 2012 Zinger 23FB

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
canoe on top wrote:
WD-40 should not be used on firearms. It can penetrate primers and make them not work. Our department firearms officer told me many years ago if I had a can of WD-40 to place it under the tire and back over it. A misfire for a hunter might mean missing a duck. In law enforcement, a misfire is quite a different matter.

I hear and see all sorts of uses for, or not for, WD-40. Depends on the day, weather, season, and year it seems whether or not WD-40 is good or not. As to primers... it would be interesting to see how much WD-40 is applied to a firearm in order work its way into a primer. Makes me think maybe someone just sprayed a firearm without wiping it down... I am sure most lightweight lubricants will affect primers if too much is used.

As to who said it was good for firearms, WD-40 is advertised, right on the can, as being suitable for cleaning and protecting firearms. I don't use it for that, but I know some very experienced hunters who swear by it.

Anyways... see you on the road!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I carry WD-40 everywhere I go and use it to lubricate everything from door hinges to hitch components. Did you know WD stands for "water displacement"? The 40 stands for the 40th 'recipe' the inventors went through to come up with the current lubricant.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
canoe on top wrote:

Who said it was?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer

Mike_LA
Explorer
Explorer

I used to spray chain lube on the stabilizers, but when I ran out a while back, I applied a small amount of NEVER-SEEZ. Haven't had to reapply yet.

Pure nickel special is a superior, high temperature anti-seize and extreme pressure lubricant
Contains flake particles of pure nickel, graphite and other additives in a special grease carrier found to enhance anti-seize performance
Prevents galling on steel-to-stainless, titanium, magnesium and other hard metals.
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/LBZ Duramax
2017 Hyper Lite XLR 26HFS

Previous Trailers:
2003 Aerolite 24RK
2006 Rockwood 3115SS TT
2006 Rockwood 8283SS FW
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24E
2012 Sunnybrook 26FBS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Stabilizers don't need a high priced, high tech lube. In fact you can have too slippery a lube on them. Quite often someone posts on here about their stabilizers backing off by themselves.. Usually too much lube.

I have been using WD 40 for years. It is cheap, plentiful and effective for this job.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Anything is better than nothing, and WD-40 is just fine for this purpose. There are a dozen better options of course, but are the really "needed"? No.

Popupguy2001
Explorer
Explorer
Grease, and when it get dirty use pressure washer. Works great.
My Wife and I
2 boys 14 and 11
Certified BBQ Judge KCBS
Certified Chili Judge CASI
2005 Suburban 1/2 Ton 4WD
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I buy the stuff in gallons and use a small pump sprayer, not aerosol cans.

Gallons?? You must be exaggerating right? ๐Ÿ™‚ But then you mentioned the pump sprayer and I an not so sure, I am intrigued.

I meant that I buy it in gallon cans, not that I use gallons.

Generally one gallon will last me several years for all uses. It is far less expensive than buying an aerosol can that only contains a few ounces.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I didn't weigh in on the WD-40 use sooner but now that the ice is broken....

At one time, WD-40 was made with coconut oil and petroleum solvent. It still contains a lot of light petro solvents. I believe they've reformulated to use other oils and less coconut oil. We'll never know what the formula is since it's proprietary. WD-40 will attack and dissolve certain rubber materials. IMO. it's a pretty poor rust preventer and of no use as a penetrant for loosening fasteners. It is good for removing water or moisture, especially for spark plug grounding and makes a fair cutting oil for tooling metals. It's major attributes are that it's cheap, abundant, and applies easily out of a spray can.

For preventing rust on stabilizers I like to use oil or chain lube, depending on environment. I use oil if I'm worried about dirt or dust and chain lube if I want the best protection and don't care about dirt.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

firedguy
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
Three things I always keep in the TT - WD-40, Duck Tape and a hammer. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duck tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

A practical man! Thanks for injecting a little humor into this discussion.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 1LT trim, DRW, Duramax/Allison 6spd.
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 4slides, 40ft, 15000lbs GVWR.