cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What good is a 56 f100.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I came across an opportunity to buy an all original 1956 f100. The present owner has owned the truck since 1957. It has seldom been stored outside and still runs very well. It was used as a farm truck during it's early years and has never had any body work done to it... so it's got a few minor bumps and bruises. If I put money into it I'll want independent front and rear suspension, AC, 300 or so ponies under the hood... I'll want to do things right. In a way it seems a shame to hot rod an all original truck. I really don't know much about the cost of taking on a project like this but my guess is that if I hire out the work I'll end up dumping 70k into this truck by the time I'm done. Anybody with some knowledge on the subject want to share some pointers?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
46 REPLIES 46

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
from the news cars and airplane and cows will be gone soon so don't waste money saving an old pickup.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
I came across an opportunity to buy an all original 1956 f100. The present owner has owned the truck since 1957. It has seldom been stored outside and still runs very well. It was used as a farm truck during it's early years and has never had any body work done to it... so it's got a few minor bumps and bruises. If I put money into it I'll want independent front and rear suspension, AC, 300 or so ponies under the hood... I'll want to do things right. In a way it seems a shame to hot rod an all original truck. I really don't know much about the cost of taking on a project like this but my guess is that if I hire out the work I'll end up dumping 70k into this truck by the time I'm done. Anybody with some knowledge on the subject want to share some pointers?

Put it in the corner of your building and think about it for those few years. If you decide to resell it later before attacking the project, you will most likely get a better return on investment than the stock market.

People take on these projects for the love of the project and enjoying the end game of showing and driving it. If deep down you do not have that driving force, then take a pass.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bedlam
I'm in a similar situation with a '57 VW. Currently it very simple to work on but it needs to be freshened up - Do I spend money on the original setup or do I upgrade it?

In my case it is a 40 hp 1200cc mated to a swing axle reduction gear transmission with non-sychronized first gear and a 6VDC electrical system. I'm thinking of replacing the engine with a mild dual port and gutting the electrical to replace it with a 12VDC system while just cleaning up and resealing the transmission. If I get too crazy with engine and transmission swaps, then I'm also looking at suspension, brakes and steering so I can continue to live to enjoy it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I kind of agree with big katina since it sounds like a decent survivor vehicle and a very desireable one at that.
With respect to resto vs mod, even jsut parts only doing it right, will cost you as much as it’s worth in the end, at least. If you fark out the work, yeah you could have 60k into a 30k truck pretty easy.
If economics is part of the equation just go buy one finished.
Love those trucks and you can do a resto that still looks cool.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s only original once. You can’t build it.

Leave it alone. Mechanical work only and even then I personally wouldn’t add disc brakes or anything else.

It’s a survivor. You would be turning a silk purse into another pig with lipstick.

If you want a cool hot rod custom car find something rough.

Original is the new cool.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Thanks for the posts. That Belair is a beauty. The truck isn't advertised but I think the guy would be happy getting $2000 for it. Would that be a fair offer? I'll likely park it in the corner of a building for the next 5 years. It may make a fun retirement project. The problem is I hate the thought of spending more building it than what it would be worth to sell. I guess that's just the way it goes with hobbies.

Most of what you spend on these restorations is parts. If you can wrench on it, then you save labor costs which can be around 70/hr. Taking that truck apart should not be that hard of a job with some help from friends for lifting the bed and body off the frame.

You will have no problem finding reproduction parts for it.

You could go a totally different way by just modifying the suspension and brakes - discs up front with a dual master cylinder, getting the engine/trans rebuilt, and then spraying clear coat over the current patina. The interiors on these can be very easy to redo - I'd consider mounting the gas tank between the frame rails if it currently resides behind the front seat.

I'd buy it for 2K in a heartbeat just to have it. post some pics of it if you can!

Thanks for the props from everyone on my 56.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
George 3037 made some very good points and has a great looking car himself. Not being into buying/restoring older cars & trucks, but definitely love looking at them when done. Should you buy it and not sure who to contact about doing what you want to do, I'd suggest contacting someone from the Syracuse Nationals Car Show that's held each summer here in Syracuse, NY. Think their website is: Syracusenationals.com. I could be wrong, but hope George 3037 can correct me, I think this show attracts hot rod cars from all over the country incl Canada. Upwards of several thousand cars/trucks and 75,000 people attend. So my thinking is that if OP goes to the website, they can point him in right direction.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Nice change from deciding what is wrong with the new HD 3500 trucks.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
THutch wrote:
Not sure why you are asking in an RV forum, but that’s my opinion...??

I'm asking here cause I know there's guys on this forum who love trucks and I suspected there would be some like yourself who would know a whole lot more than me about restoring an old truck. And it gives us something to talk about when it's 30 below outside.
It would look cool pulling a modernized old camper as well, maybe like one of the retro rigs now available. I thought about doing such a project and dropping in a Cummins 4bt into it.

2012 Coleman nice looking chevy

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
THutch wrote:

I'm asking here cause I know there's guys on this forum who love trucks and I suspected there would be some like yourself who would know a whole lot more than me about restoring an old truck. And it gives us something to talk about when it's 30 below outside.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the posts. That Belair is a beauty. The truck isn't advertised but I think the guy would be happy getting $2000 for it. Would that be a fair offer? I'll likely park it in the corner of a building for the next 5 years. It may make a fun retirement project. The problem is I hate the thought of spending more building it than what it would be worth to sell. I guess that's just the way it goes with hobbies.
B&W Companion

THutch
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who has built two F-100’s (‘55 pickup and ‘53 panel), I can say that the 53 to 56 F-100’s are worth more customized than in original condition. Just go to any truck show or meet, and you will see. In original condition you will have an ill-handling, underpowered, hard-to-steer, hard to stop, truck. Customized, I had excess power, independent suspension, disc brakes, power windows,power steering, a/c, etc,etc,etc. Just don’t plan on making money, as it will be a labor of love.

Tom & Norma
NEW: 2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP
Previous: 2005 Itasca Meridian 34H
NEW: 2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4, 4-Down, Blue Ox with Brake Buddy Classic
Previous: 2007 HHR LT 4-Down, Blue Ox with Blue Ox Patriot

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Nice 56 Belair

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
A 1956 F100 is a very desirable truck. As someone who has just finished restoring - street rodding a 1956 Chevrolet Belair, I can offer some perspective.

Although, I'm somewhat of a purist, there is nothing cooler than rolling down the road in a classic like this that has a modern drive train and suspension and A/C. There are plenty of resources available like bolt on kits. You can spend lots of money on a project like this, and it can easily go over budget. If this truck has little rust like you describe, I'd jump all over it. I would plan on taking the body off the frame, and then building out the rolling chassis - new suspension components, and a crate engine. You may even be able to locate one in kit form. No need to go fuel injection, unless you want to.

Mine was an ex drag racer. I bought it to drag race, and had the rear end narrowed. When I no longer raced, the engine/rear end ratio made street driving not so fun, so I did a full frame off. I probably went a little overboard, but it sure felt good to waste a Dodge Charger off the line last weekend.

If you have a particular question, feel free to ask.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy and do all the work you mentioned you will have a lot of money in a truck worth less than you have invested. Someone who buys a vehicle like that because they enjoy classic cars, going to car shows, enjoys tinkering or working on them, driving them in parades etc. If you are interested in that truck and want all the things you mentioned like suspension, AC, HP, you are better off shopping around. These trucks are often sold at prices way below what is invested. See previous post links to car sales.

If you are a good mechanic and have the time, money, can do the work yourself, can buy it right, then go for it.

I'm into classic cars myself. Not so much into full restorations but into resto-mods. That is an older vehicle with modern suspension, HP, AC, just like you want to do. My current ride is a 57 Chev. 2 Dr. Sedan Deivery. It has had a frame off restoration, updated suspension, 454 V8 and 700R4 trans, new interior, new body panels etc.etc. I bought it for almost half of what was invested then added my own accessories. I'd post a pic but can't remember how.
Well, I figured out how to add one pic.