cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is a good Trailer for traveling

mabel
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled all over the U.S.A. towing a Cedar creek 26fk, and have no problems, other than the normal flat tire.
I would like to get a similar size trailer with a slide out and wanted to know what is a good trailer that can take the highway or long distance use.
13 REPLIES 13

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I have over 80,000 actual towing miles with my Rockwood and have had only one repair done while on the road (converter quit while on the way home from Alaska). I actually had another repair (replaced an axle in Corpus Christi when I was forced into a ditch to avoid a head on colision but that was a different category). Your results may very but I've found a lot more repairs are necessary on a trailer that is little used than a good one that's used heavily.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is looking for another TT. Cedar Creek doesn't make TT's anymore.
My suggestion is an Arctic Fox. In house frames, 4 season insulation.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
A good trailer that will function well and hold up to highway use will have a good frame, heavy axles, large brakes and tires. There is no point in looking at floorplans and the pretty stuff till you find a trailer that is really roadworthy. Ask me how I know.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
mabel wrote:
I have traveled all over the U.S.A. towing a Cedar creek 26fk, and have no problems, other than the normal flat tire.
I would like to get a similar size trailer with a slide out and wanted to know what is a good trailer that can take the highway or long distance use.

I know you are looking for much larger, but I just finished a 7,942 mile round trip to Los Angeles and had no problems with our Skyline Koala 21CS.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, as already said, you have to find one with the floorplan and features you consider essential.

Then, search the web for trailers that meet your needs. Look for reviews/comments about the manufacturer and specific models. Then, take time to find trailers on your list that are in stock at dealerships you are willing to drive to and take your time checking out the trailers you are interested in purchasing.

It took us quite a bit of time to research, locate and examine a Winnebago 2201DS before we purchased one last summer. My decision to purchase was based upon:
1. quality of materials, fit and finish
2. outside kitchen
3. lots of storage space - most I could find in a trailer under 27'
4. specs that make it ideal for towing with a Tundra
5. price - a little costlier than most but a good "bang for the buck"

So far, we've been very happy with the trailer, but will be making some improvements to meet our needs.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If your Cedar Creek has a satisfactory proven track record by you, then whey not get another another Cedar Creek.

But if you want to chance, the Keystone Outbacks are OK in my book!

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
The one that you can spend 10 hours in and still be happy. Only YOU can figure that one out. I like blonds and you like redheads. Do the math.

Frizlefrak
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how we shopped.....make 3 lists.

1. What it must have
2. What it cannot have
3. What would be nice to have.

Don't violate 1 or 2 under any conditions, and get as much of 3 as you can given the budget you want to stay within and the capabilities of your tow vehicle.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned the floor plan is a big big factor.

I think there are three factors to the "right" TT.
* floor plan.
* TV capabilities.
* affordable within your means.

Everything else are options.

You at least have the experience to choose wisely.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Frizlefrak
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, the best floor plan that fits your individual needs. Look at as many as you can before buying. Nothing is worse than buying a trailer, and then a week later finding "THE" trailer...

Take into account layout, storage, and creature comforts.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What about Cedar Creek? If not, check the RV Consumer Group, www.rv.org, for their ratings.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whats wrong with towing your Cedar Creek?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know, but flat tires are not 'normal' - at least not when driving.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman