cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What load capacity should a ladder have for A/Cs?

whatinZamzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The model is a dometic 13500 BTU brisk 2, weighs about 70~80 lbs & I was wondering what is the minimum type of ladder I need. A average sized women would be on it & I would be pulling from the top. Can I use a multipurpose/multiposition ladder? I was going for either this or this one. I already have this 8 footer but it's missing like 2 feet to reach the top. Thanks for reading.
28 REPLIES 28

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just find a dealer or some one who,s done this. if it cost you $500.bucks whats your life worth. better yet injuring your wife or yourself for life.always done my own maint, but not this. p.s you could rent a scaffol and slide it in place.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having done this a few times over the years, the extension ladder is pretty easy. As others have pointed out, use a towel/piece of rug to protect side of RV. Leave the air conditioner in the box to help prevent damage. I placed the box onto a piece of plywood slightly larger than the air conditioner box, secured box to plywood, drill a couple of holes in plywood for rope( similiar to a "Y" connection). You want the extension ladder to be right at the same height as the roof of the RV thus you having to pull it up over the rungs of the ladder(thus sliding right onto the roof.)

Ok....still takes two people. One person pushing and sliding the plywood up the ladder and the other person pulling on the rope while on the roof. It actually goes pretty easy. My RV has a fiberglass roof and I'm not small....weight was no issue!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Can I expand a little?
What about the roof? Will it handle the weight of you and the AC concentrated in the small area of your feet?
I used a couple of pieces of Styrofoam, set AC on to slide from side to hole. Step ladder in back of pickup to get it on roof, with line around it. Up another step ladder to pull across near hole. Then a stepstool inside to lift and guide it into the hole.
Another idea. To me, holding the inside part up, aligning and starting the longdonkey bolts was a PITA. Cut 2 pieces of all-thread little longer than bolts, screwed into holes. But the plate up, EZ to guide AT thru holes, start nuts. Then nuts hold in place while you start the bolts in other holes. Double-nut the all-thread to remove, last 2 bolts.

Typically the roof will support you and the AC as it has to support the A/C all the time anyway.

I've personally changed out several A/C units and have never needed any allthread to do it. Bolts went in easy. If not, the A/C is not located correctly.

I have often had to work to get long bolts started when they go thru something thin, had no support guiding to holes, like putting thru bolts in motors. The top part in hole, but on mine the only guide to position the bottom part is the bolts. Add that to the issues many old people have working overhead... With the all-thread, just like putting a album on turntable, or the top on old air cleaner. Look thru hole to see pin, watch it into place.
Now I found using rod for alignment made it much easier. And I found that setting the unit overhanging the roof hole, but propped up so I could lift and align from below made it easier to position without push gasket out of place

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
When I put the Atwood on our first trailer I grabbed some pallets and trash 2X4 and built staging in the back of my truck that was parked as close as possible to the trialer. If I remember it was only two levels to get it up on the roof. The wife and I lifted it into the truck, then up one level, then we stood on the first level and lifted it to the second and finally up on the roof.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lol...just got a tip from a woman, to make this job easy. "Why not throw a rope over a suitable tree limb, lift AC up with rope, back trailer under dangling AC, lower rope/AC...done."

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Skibane wrote:
whatinZamzoo wrote:
A average sized women would be on it & I would be pulling from the top.

This plan has "disaster" written all over it.

I agree, but just like men, some women are much more capable than others. A strong man, and a determined, confident woman could git er done!

Jerry

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Can I expand a little?
What about the roof? Will it handle the weight of you and the AC concentrated in the small area of your feet?
I used a couple of pieces of Styrofoam, set AC on to slide from side to hole. Step ladder in back of pickup to get it on roof, with line around it. Up another step ladder to pull across near hole. Then a stepstool inside to lift and guide it into the hole.
Another idea. To me, holding the inside part up, aligning and starting the longdonkey bolts was a PITA. Cut 2 pieces of all-thread little longer than bolts, screwed into holes. But the plate up, EZ to guide AT thru holes, start nuts. Then nuts hold in place while you start the bolts in other holes. Double-nut the all-thread to remove, last 2 bolts.

Typically the roof will support you and the AC as it has to support the A/C all the time anyway.

I've personally changed out several A/C units and have never needed any allthread to do it. Bolts went in easy. If not, the A/C is not located correctly.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
whatinZamzoo wrote:
A average sized women would be on it & I would be pulling from the top.

This plan has "disaster" written all over it.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed the Winegard Traveler on my Momentum, I considered all of the things that could go wrong trying to get it on the roof.... And decided to look into hiring a crane.
It was cheaper than I thought.
100.00 cash, and they put it right where I wanted it. Nothing got broke, and nobody got hurt.... And being a Sat. morning, all of my neighbors got a show.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you hire a teenager to help and he/she is injured you can then hire a lawyer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can I expand a little?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would suggest reconsidering using a ladder to haul the A/C up/down, just too many things that can go wrong.

I used a short step ladder secured to a pick truck bed and it was a real challenge to lift and control 80+ lbs worth of A/C.

That was before I had a tractor with a front loader, now that I have a front loader, I would never consider attempting the ladder trick ever again.

I would suggest seeing if you can find a neighbor/friend/relative that may have access to some sort of lifting device like a tractor with front loader with enough height.. Might wish to even ask a few contractors (dirt type contractors) if they might be able to help lift with one of their equipment for a small fee..

Baring that, there are very nice manual lifts by the brand of Genie Lifts which can reach 10' heights which you should be able to rent at most rental stores for a day or two for a reasonable cost..

Looks like this..

Downside to the manual lifts like the small Genie lifts is you need to operate them on level pavement for safety reasons.. I borrowed a Genie lift from my workplace once when I needed to set a 25' I beam in place. Worked like a champ.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, the extension ladder would be better choice. I don't see a weight problem, as the AC wt will just be sliding up, being lifted mostly by you, not direct wt to ladder.

I'd put a protecting mat/rug on roof edge, if ladder is resting against rubber roof.

Jerry

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll end up hating the first ladder. The rungs are really uncomfortable. Just borrow an extension ladder from a neighbor. And, find a teenager to help haul the old one down and the new one up. You really don't want the wife to start hating RVing.