cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What model of truck or SUV, would make a good tow vehicle?

DougCP
Explorer
Explorer
In the past, I would have said a diesel truck and a 5er. For anyone planning to full time. You need space to avoid cabin fever. That means
a sizable RV and a truck that can pull it. I got to drive a 2007, 2500 GMC diesel and 29 foot 5er. It was a great combo. The Dodge Ram people I have talked with were happy too. Anyway, with all the new emission stuff I would not buy one today. The price was always high, for a pickup, but now they seem to price out over $50K. And I'm not sure I would buy one.

The 3/4 ton pickups burn a lot of fuel. So, what would work now? With the cost of gas, you would be better off staying at Motel 6. A Nissan V6 w/manual trans, would pull 6500 lbs, but they are more expensive than an auto trans. And that is still really not enough. I don't believe GM, Ford, Toyota, or any other company makes a V8 powered pickup w/manual trans. So, the consumers options are limited in my view. Is there a truck that can pull a trailer without guzzling so much gas? Say about 8000 lbs. And I think towing with a manual just makes more sense.
12 REPLIES 12

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel cost becomes significant for full timing, towing 10k-30k miles per year. For weekender RVers at 2-3k miles per year? Not so much.

Gas towing high walled RV gets 8-10mpg.
3/4-1 ton diesel pickups get 12mpg towing the same RV.
A mid-sized diesel SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Touareg, BMW X5, Audi Q7, MB GL) will get closer to 15mpg towing, but their limits are lower like in the 6k loaded RV range and they cost a bit more than mainstream competitors that do not offer diesels and again are stuck at 8-10mpg towing.
Air streams tend to require about 15% less fuel than a conventional RV.

In summary, you have to spend more (on the TV, on an Air stream, etc) to save.

Buy used - saves the most.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of erroneous assumptions by the OP. It takes work to move 8,000 lbs. or any amount of weight at 65 MPH and even more to pull it up a hill. Work equals fuel burned.

Automatic transmissions provide better fuel economy without exception. With 6 and even 8 speed automatic transmissions the engine is running more of the time with the power band where it is most efficient. This applies equally to the tractor rigs that are moving to automatic transmissions to maximize fuel economy.

Want fuel economy get a Casita or similar trailer and tow it with a 30 MPG Subaru Forester or similar small SUV.

I refuse to believe that fuel is "expensive" when less than 1% of the drivers I see on the highway are doing anything to improve their fuel economy. How many people, even those towing, do you see at 65 MPH? How many people are towing huge 13,000 lb. 5th wheel trailers or driving Class A motorhomes towing a car?

The higher fuel prices go the better as hopefully at some point less will be needlessly wasted by people and we will not need 250,000 troops stationed overseas to keep the oil coming.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Gas engine models of the big three get awful mileage towing (6 mpg for example) and struggle on mountain roads.

Not since maybe the 1999 GM 7.4L did a gas engine use that much fuel towing. I get 8-10mpg speed and wind dependent. 3/4-1-ton diesels get about 12mpg theses days for TTs. And the 3.5L Ecoboost is a mini powerhouse. I have never read of an owner complain about power when towing.

Today's automatics are better for most people for towing. They are designed and built for towing more weight than 3/4-1-ton trucks ever have. I love manuals in many vehicles and believe a good driver has better control with it. But I would not say the average driver is better than modern automatic programming.

For full timing get a diesel. The fuel savings will add up as well as a significantly more pleasant towing experience. Pickups cost less new and used than SUVs with comparable equipment and lower capabilities. Are you open to a full sized van? GM offers a detuned Duramax in them. The 6.0L/6-spd in 2010+ is reliable and strong. They are cheaper than pickups new and much cheaper used.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
While gas seems to be a major player in decisions for RV'ing I question why that would be since gas is NOT the major cost of RV'ing. From a smaller SUV and trailer to a larger truck and 5th wheel the cost difference is maybe a $100-$200 per trip if you are traveling a few 100 miles. The cost of the RV itself dwarfs that.

My truck gets 9-10mpg towing my 5th wheel. Sure I could drive my economy car and stay at a motel 6 for far less but I enjoy RV'ing!! I don't think most here RV as a way to save money on hotels. Just my 2 cents!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MFinCA
Explorer
Explorer
DougCP wrote:
With the cost of gas, you would be better off staying at Motel 6.
Increased gas bills are a part of being a RVer. You just have to live with it. Given the choice, I would ALWAYS go with the RV and visit the gas stations more frequently. I have traveled and stayed many, many nights in both the RV and hotels like Motel 6.

The RV is the winner hands down!
MFinCA
2004 Homestead Settler 255RS
2004 Ford F-350, SRW, 6.0L Diesel

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Limited experience with gas and big travel trailers. But I used to tow two Jeeps on a car hauler with a dodge V10 gasser. Amazing.

10mpg and we could pass anything anywhere. No struggles ever.

Also remember in terms of expense, while a diesel gets better mileage, it takes a lot of miles to offset the higher initial investment. Even ignoring maintenance differences.

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
You won't find many large SUV's with a hand shaker. All Excursions were made with a slush box and suspect the same of the Navigator, Expy, Denali, Yokon, and Burb.

With a good mechanic you could switch out a tranny on any of the above listed vehicles.
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner uses a gas engine with 400 hp and 1450 ft lb of torque so don't say a gas engine can't be used to pull a trailer. My trailer only weighs about 8500 lb but last time we went over the Rockies we were going the speed limit and the SUV that we pull the TT with runs on gas.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
You'll get a lot of opinions, and most of what you read will be subjective. What might be "struggling" to one person may be "flying up the hill" to another.

The big 3 are not the only brands than can pull a fifth wheel, but they are the only source for pickups with the 6000+ rear gross axle rating required for most fifth wheels. For example, the Toyota Tundra has a drivetrain that can easily handle a 10K fifth wheel but falls way short on being able to handle pin weight.

More subjective stuff, a diesel 2500 or 3500 pickup is NOT required to pull an 8K fifth wheel! There are several reports from owners of Ford F150s equipped with the Ecoboost engine and heavy duty payload package that are towing trailers of this size with great performance and decent mileage (9-10) towing. Also, all 3 of the heavy duty pickup gas engines, most notably the new 6.4 Ram Hemi, will easily tow 8K without struggling and get much better than the aformentioned 6 mpg.

So, again, JMO, while the diesels get better mileage and pull harder, for an 8K trailer they are not at all necessary.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Towing will use gas. That's just the way it is. Most any gas V8 truck towing the average RV trailer is going to be in the single digits with fuel mileage.
As for towing with a manual, automatics have come a long long way in the last 10 or 15 years if you get one in a truck designed for towing. 6 speeds is the minimum with some having 8. Most all of them have a T/H mode that can downshift for you when slowing to aid in engine braking. Most all of them have a manual mode if you really want to shift for yourself.
But, you are correct, if you want a manual in a truck it's got to be a Dodge.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Stick with the big three: Ford, GMC or Fiat-Chrysler. If you don't want to buy a new one get a used diesel. The new trucks actually get better mileage than most of the old models. None of the other brands can pull a fifth wheel.

Gas engine models of the big three get awful mileage towing (6 mpg for example) and struggle on mountain roads.

x2 and at minimum a 3/4 ton. get a 1 ton if you are thinking about getting a bigger 5er in the future.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stick with the big three: Ford, GMC or Fiat-Chrysler. If you don't want to buy a new one get a used diesel. The new trucks actually get better mileage than most of the old models. None of the other brands can pull a fifth wheel.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper