cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's with the ridgey exterior walls on the Jayco TTs?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Why would they use the ridgey outside walls like that? It looks like it would create more wind resistance and be less aerodynamic. Also looks tough to keep clean! I have seen old TTs with dirt in every groove.
116 REPLIES 116

Capehorny
Explorer
Explorer
Just the cleaning, I actually kind of like the appearance, but I'm all about practicality not aesthetics. I'll say this, I don't clean it NEARLY as much as I would if it were flat. Ever try to pay a pro to do it? They charge double.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Mike Up,

Not all aluminum framed trailers are gluing or vacuum bonding - Lance pinch rolls their sides w/ Azdel, a proven superior product, lighter and better and stronger than luaun or studded wood for that matter.

WoodGlue

Ok, so let me if I understand what you are saying. You are saying that Lance is not gluing. You are also saying that Lance is pinch rolling ?

So please tell us, what is holding all these layers of materials bonded together ?

MookieKat
Explorer
Explorer
Capehorny wrote:
I'm sorry if this was answered already, but I got to page 4 of not answering the question and the ensuing debate over construction.

1.) What does stick and tin construction have to do with riffled siding?
2.) Other than ease of cleaning, why is one better than the other. (Appearance preferences aside)
3.) I'm no aerodynamics engineer, but please don't tell me the difference for either is SIGNIFICANT enough to have any real impact to fuel consumption.

I have the riffled Jayco 19BH and hate it, just so I can be upfront out my position on the matter.

As stated earlier, RESPECTFULLY.

What do you hate about it?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike Up wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Lets see, As a home owner. Ever get a load of Mulch? Wanna dump that thru the Sunroof on that SUV? Ever go pick up a water heater, or fridge. Try to stuff that in the back of that SUV. Or did you ever get a load of gravel? Where in your SUV did you put it? Or that load of wood / lumber. Or those sheets of plywood. How well does your lawnmower fit in your SUV?

I agree, I can't see how someone can be a home owner and not own a truck. I'm guessing he's the type that pays someone to do everything around his house so he can keep his unibody eco car.

And then prolly borrows a truck, or utility trailer to go to Lowe's. Sorry. But trucks are just better to ride in, and drive. And are WAAAY more practical.

And I do have a SUV for DW to drive to work. But you won't catch me hooking any thing bigger than a popup to a front wheel drive vehicle. They are not built to tow.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Capehorny
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Mike Up, exactly what I was looking for.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Lets see, As a home owner. Ever get a load of Mulch? Wanna dump that thru the Sunroof on that SUV? Ever go pick up a water heater, or fridge. Try to stuff that in the back of that SUV. Or did you ever get a load of gravel? Where in your SUV did you put it? Or that load of wood / lumber. Or those sheets of plywood. How well does your lawnmower fit in your SUV?

I agree, I can't see how someone can be a home owner and not own a truck. I'm guessing he's the type that pays someone to do everything around his house so he can keep his unibody eco car.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Proteus wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

I'd rather drive a truck too. And in truth. No one is going to tow ant TT of any size with a "normal" vehicle. Unless like me. You think a truck IS a normal vehicle. There are only 2 kinds of home owners. Those who have a truck, and those who need a truck. Trucks are needed for WAAAAY more than just towing a RV.

The truck prejudice here is exactly what is wrong with the US RV industry. I don't have a truck. I just safely towed a 6000lb+ trailer for 2k miles through two national parks. Pray tell, what would I want, or need a truck for? If I need to haul a bunch of****** the dump perhaps? I could see it for towing a large 5th wheel, or a full time trailer, but not a standard vacation travel trailer.

Bottom line is there are lots of people in the US, who, like their counterparts in Europe and Australia would like to tow high quality, well designed trailers with efficient and comfortable daily drivers. There just seems to be a lack of high end options out there....

And while towing that trailer. where would you put the 10 bikes and firewood we carry?
As I said. There are 2 kinds of home owners. the kind that have a truck, and the kind that need a truck. We didn't buy a truck to tow with. We use a truck, because we HAVE one. and they are better suited to tow with. There are no none truck based SUVs on the market today that I would try to tow my TT with. Just can't do it as well.

And you still haven't told us what your TV is.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Capehorny wrote:
I'm sorry if this was answered already, but I got to page 4 of not answering the question and the ensuing debate over construction.

I have the riffled Jayco 19BH and hate it, just so I can be upfront out my position on the matter.

tatest wrote:
The grooves make the aluminum siding stiffer for a given thickness of material, and thinner siding is lighter.

Manufacturers did this also with other materials, including fiberglass before it became practice to laminate the skin to a core, so that the core material stiffened the wall.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Capehorny
Explorer
Explorer

2.) Other than ease of cleaning, why is one better than the other. (Appearance preferences aside)
3.) I'm no aerodynamics engineer, but please don't tell me the difference for either is SIGNIFICANT enough to have any real impact to fuel consumption.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
:h

Per woodrot:

Except for a very few that are framed with aluminum, aren't the vast majority of composite-sided RV's framed with wood just like typical aluminum-sided rigs???
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
TxTiger wrote:
Proteus wrote:

1) Residential construction methods are just that, for homes, not for trailers. And even then, it's mostly for lower end or mid range homes.

I guess it's been too long since I've built a home and maybe I've missed something, but what are the non residential construction methods being used now for homes above lower/mid range?

I.C.E Block would be the high range choice

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
WoodGlue wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
Woodglue,

Can you tell me how much clamping pressure is applied when utilizing a vacuum bonding procedure ?

Also, can you tell me what the correct clamping pressure and time is for the adhesive that might be in use for these different constructions ?

thanks.

Hi there,

I have those numbers somewhere around here. If I don't post them today, please remind me! I do know that it's oftentimes measured in percentages (%) It also has to do with the type of adhesive being utilized. For instance, Lamilux has their own set numbers.

120 - 130 pounds per square inch is one number I just found. And that's vacuum pressure, not clamping.

WoodGlue

How do you get 8X atmospheric pressure by pulling a vacuum?

Exactly, that maybe pinch rolled but not vacuum. Hek when I calibrate vacuum instruments, I can't even even get to absolute zero. You can get near but it's impossible to get to 0. For those that don't know, absolute zero is the negative barometer reading of the day. Barometer is referenced off of absolute zero where guage pressure/vacuum is referenced off of the atmosphere.

If the barometer of the day is 31 inches of mercury that means that absolute zero is at a vacuum of 31 inches of mercury or at a pressure of -31 inches of mercury. Thus barometer is at a pressure of 31 inches of mercury absolute. 31" of mercury = 15.23 psi . So a vacuum of 15.23 psi is a perfect vacuum. No vacuum greater than this can be achieved. 120 psi is 7.88 times greater than 15.23 psi. ๐Ÿ˜‰

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
Proteus wrote:

1) Residential construction methods are just that, for homes, not for trailers. And even then, it's mostly for lower end or mid range homes.

I guess it's been too long since I've built a home and maybe I've missed something, but what are the non residential construction methods being used now for homes above lower/mid range?
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
....snip

Most people will argue that their choice of construction technique is the best, even if they don't understand how their RV was made and believe it to be something different that what it really is, because the salesman convinced them.

good point. And watching "fluff" marketing videos cranked out by the manufacturer of any product can sometimes be....misleading. A "well produced" marketing video can be an impressive tool in convincing the uninitiated.
Those of us who have spent several decades working in production environments can often get a few chuckles out of watching marketing videos. I'm happy to be retired from 40 years at a large corporation that has production efficiencies and quality that is industry leading. A lot of good folks and whole lot of fine details in building things that a lot of consumers take for granted.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
WoodGlue wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
Woodglue,

Can you tell me how much clamping pressure is applied when utilizing a vacuum bonding procedure ?

Also, can you tell me what the correct clamping pressure and time is for the adhesive that might be in use for these different constructions ?

thanks.

Hi there,

I have those numbers somewhere around here. If I don't post them today, please remind me! I do know that it's oftentimes measured in percentages (%) It also has to do with the type of adhesive being utilized. For instance, Lamilux has their own set numbers.

120 - 130 pounds per square inch is one number I just found. And that's vacuum pressure, not clamping.

WoodGlue

How do you get 8X atmospheric pressure by pulling a vacuum?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B