cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's wrong with bumper sewer hose storage???

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
I've read about and seen some really cool ideas for storing the slinky but still can't figure out why folks won't use the rear bumper storage (If available)?

I know the factory caps fall off and the hose can easily fall out but wouldn't it be a lot easier and cheaper to make a good cap with latches/hinges/fasteners on it for the existing bumper than it is to fabricate a completely new device to hold the sewer hose?

Help me out. I'm likely improving the factory bumper caps on mine this week. Have I missed something? Is there a reason not to?

I've even seen square PVC pipe the same dimensions as the rear bumper mounted right on top of the rear bumper??? WHY?
60 REPLIES 60

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stored my hose in the bumper for years and just this season got the 5" PVC fence post to store it. I have never had an issue with the bumper caps falling off, but the 4" bumper is barely big enough for the hose, let alone the fitting. The end of the hose with the bayonnet fitting would have to go in cocked so it would fit, and with the inside of the bumper rusty from storing the wet hose, if it got stuck it was a bear to get looses. Not to mention the abrasion on the hose from sliding it in/out of that rusty bumper. Plus the rust stains on your hands. Plus, I had no where to store the elbow fitting (on the left in this pic):

The other thing for me is that I needed to add extra tail lights when I extended the frame, and putting all the wiring in the bumper made everything nice and neat, which meant finding another storage place for the hose.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
DanKirk wrote:
My old Rhino hose fit in the bumper. But, the new Rhino hose, with the swivel fittings, does not fit. I didn't want to store the hose in the trailer, so I just added the fence post/gutter drawer under the trailer. If the bumper was big enough for the new hose, I would still use the bumper.

How did you attach the fence post under the trailer??
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Wow, who knew this was such a hot topic! To each their own, but all the threads concoctions, inventions, and posts on this one subject.............probably the most over thought, overwrought, and over done.....It is at least amusing to read.

Let's go camping...................

I expect there are a lot of folks like me that are stuck at home, DREAMING of the next trip. Discussing ANYthing related to RVing is better than watching TV.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rear bumper and its snug fitting caps are one of the few well put together items on my TT. Even though the end caps have square holes for ventillation, not a whole lot of water gets in - and it will take a lot to decompose from rusting. If my hose gets pinholes from rust, I'll use it as an excuse to buy a new one. I think the mods made by otheres in this area are ingenious, just don't need them in my case.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my end cap blow off but the hose did not move. I stopped at Camping World in Indy and bought a new one that locks when you push the center in.

We will see how well it stays on the bumper on our next trip.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have rhino hose with swivel ends and just barely get it into the bumper on the hybrid. The hose has caps on both ends to prevent rust causing leaks. The bumper caps have fallen off in 2012 and I have rolling wide open since. It is hard to pry the hose out with fingers, and is complete safe to touch. The nastiness is the 90 degree area under the cap on the rhino. All other fittings go in a tote in the back of my HTT.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, who knew this was such a hot topic! I've got all the poop plumbing, adapters, the works in a Rubbermaid tote in the basement. Hose won't fit in the bumper, caps blow off down the road and I don't want to be launching stuff at traffic. Same reason I would never hang bikes, ladders, etc. on the back of my TT no matter how well secured I think I made it. To each their own, but all the threads concoctions, inventions, and posts on this one subject.............probably the most over thought, overwrought, and over done.....It is at least amusing to read.

Let's go camping...................

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
As already stated it's not just rust. That's not why I changed mine. My hoses with appropiate 90* fittings and rubber doughnut for a tight seal on most full hookup sites wont fit in my bumper. I have a 4x4 PVC tube on top of my bumper.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I guess people just have to worry about something. I've used the same Rhino hose for 8 years in 3 different camper bumpers. You don't think rain can't get inside unless sealed up. Many more things to worry about than a rusty bumper.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
My old Rhino hose fit in the bumper. But, the new Rhino hose, with the swivel fittings, does not fit. I didn't want to store the hose in the trailer, so I just added the fence post/gutter drawer under the trailer. If the bumper was big enough for the new hose, I would still use the bumper.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine to carry my new spare-emergency hose. I now have a new use, thanks BubbaChris, pure genius. Dave

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my bumper to store the sewer hoses as long as I have camped. I compress the hose a few feet at a time and that gets most of the water out of it. 10 years and its still good, never lost an end cap, found one so I carry a spare.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I've always stored mine in the bumper. I've used the same Rhino hose with an extension for about 6 years. I haven't had the same trailer long enough for there to be a problem with rust. When there is a problem, I'll adress it.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always and always will store mine in the rear bumper.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I had heard about the rust and also some of the newer hose ends don't fit. Our PVC pipe holds 30 feet of hoses plus the elbow.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73