cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What sealant to use?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Dicor self leveling lap sealant on the roof of my TT in the past around vent pipes and such. I want to seal the outside corner moldings, around the windows, water heater, stove vent, etc. What caulk or sealant should I use? My camper is an aluminum sided travel trailer. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
plasticmaster wrote:
I've used Dicor self leveling lap sealant on the roof of my TT in the past around vent pipes and such. I want to seal the outside corner moldings, around the windows, water heater, stove vent, etc. What caulk or sealant should I use? My camper is an aluminum sided travel trailer. Thanks.

Instead of the run of the mill regular just caulks/sealants which IMO Pro-Flex falls in I prefer the "ADHESIVE"/sealants designed for submerged/marine type applications such as the 3M UV4000. IMO they have superior adhesive properties along with all the desirable sealant type properties.

Larry

I just used 3M UV4000 this fall on a troublesome spot on my TT that nothing else worked. Proflex kept splitting with temperature changes and so far this winter the UV4000 has not. I agree with Larry and plan to remove all of the old split and peeling proflex and dicor to replace it with UV4000.

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

AlexLarson
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:

Howdy. try to use liquid rubber waterproofing materials http://liquidrubber.ca/ they would be helpful i hope. About 2 years ago it was raining cats and dogs and my 1992 Coachmen Classic 35' RV roof leaked. And I fixed it with it.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:

IMO any of the ones mentioned will work fine.
I found Proflex sealant on vertical surfaces has worked great on my '97 30' 5th wheel trailer.
I caulked the front and rear corners/tops and sides of windows and doors sometime in '03-'04 era. No cracks in the sealant so far.

One thing I learned (many times the hard way) when I had a mobilehome/rv repair business was whatever type of product you use as a sealant just keep in mind you may be the one to have to remove it to make a repair.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
plasticmaster wrote:

Instead of the run of the mill regular just caulks/sealants which IMO Pro-Flex falls in I prefer the "ADHESIVE"/sealants designed for submerged/marine type applications such as the 3M UV4000. IMO they have superior adhesive properties along with all the desirable sealant type properties.

Larry

Larry,
Have you checked the properties of these sealants, the 3M product you use and the Geocel sealants? They are real close in most respects, the 3M product having superior elongation but about the same bond strength on similar materials as the Geocel sealants.

If you have those numbers please do provide them along with where you got them so that your claim they have about the same bond strengths can be verified. I tried to find the Geocel numbers, but couldn't and there seems to be an issue with see the details product specs on the Pro-Flex on the Geocel site now. Also, provide the information saying that the Geocel is recommended for submerged type applications (i.e. waterproof which the UV4000 is).

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
Great question, one I was wanting to ask myself. I also wondered why I always read about "no silicone". I got both questions answered. Awesome.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
I see the "do not use silicone" statement repeated on this site. But other then the roof my Coleman by Dutchmen uses silicone on most outside metal to metal and metal to plastic unions. I have used silicone on a lot of touch up areas and it has worked great for me. I do respect others opinions. Just my experience.

The problem with silicone is that nothing will bond to it including more silicone. When you need to reseal a silicone seam you'll need to clean off ALL silicone to reapply any sealant.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I see the "do not use silicone" statement repeated on this site. But other then the roof my Coleman by Dutchmen uses silicone on most outside metal to metal and metal to plastic unions. I have used silicone on a lot of touch up areas and it has worked great for me. I do respect others opinions. Just my experience.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

Telemarc
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired commercial fisherman the only one I ever used on the Wood, Aluminum or Fiberglass boats was 3m 5200. Sticks to anything(including your clothes) cures in 24 hrs or you can get a quick cure product from them. We relied on this to stand up to salt water and 50 plus foot seas and was never let down. It is all I use unless it is on my epdm roof.
Sold the house, time to see the world.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
plasticmaster wrote:

Larry

Larry,
Have you checked the properties of these sealants, the 3M product you use and the Geocel sealants? They are real close in most respects, the 3M product having superior elongation but about the same bond strength on similar materials as the Geocel sealants.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
plasticmaster wrote:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Geocel ProFlex, easy to apply and clean up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try Lexel. I think some Ace hardware have it or I know you can get it on Amazon. Do NOT use any type of silicone on an RV. I use Dicor on the roof and Lexel elsewhere on my Cameo.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Geocel Tripolymer 2350, it is durable as heck. It is a sibling of Proflex RV.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Geocel ProFlex RV for any vertical seams and it's great
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread