Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sealant?

Eddie_Griswold
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

On our last trip out, my wife noticed a puddle of water had formed out in the hallway while helping the kids with their showers. After inspecting I noticed that most of the sealant between the wall and the trim that covers the lip of the tub was cracked and some screws had worked loose over time. I have disassembled and cleaned everything and I'm ready to re-install, but I'm not sure which type/brand sealant to use? Can anyone point me in the right direction or recommend what has worked for you? Thanks in advance!
2004 Ford F250 Superduty Crew Cab XLT, 6.0L Diesel, Equal-i-zer WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller
2012 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
6 REPLIES 6

Eddie_Griswold
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who've responded. If my local HD or Lowes has the butyl caulk on the shelf, I may go that route. I have some OSI Quad I had planned to use around my marker lenses, but it's clear and I'd prefer to use white around the the tub trim. I do know this........my decision will be made in the next few days because I need to have a functioning shower when we shove-off for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend!
2004 Ford F250 Superduty Crew Cab XLT, 6.0L Diesel, Equal-i-zer WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller
2012 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR

NorfolkCounty
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps I was lazy because I already had the ProFlex open while I was touching up some exterior caulk so I used it in the bath as well. It seems to have worked well thus far
Chris - Chesapeake, VA
2007 Silverado 2500HD 2WD 6.0L, 2009 Jayco 26BH

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Any flexible caulk should be fine. You can not use a self leveling caulk however. I would try a flexible mold resistant caulk that could be found at any hardware store, including Home Depot or Lowes and Wal Mart.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
I had the same issue where my shower door frame met the tub (horizontal).
I used clear silicon bathroom sealant I found at Home Depot. A year later and it's still holding up.

Yep, this happened in the travel trailer I used to use. Silicon is fine on the inside.

I went around and caulked every seam in the bathroom with the clear stuff, before we ever used the bathroom. Missed the strip under the shower door, which had generous amounts of putty at one end and almost none at the other.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a butyl caulk. Silicone is not a nice product to work with. Has its uses but in an RV is not one of them.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same issue where my shower door frame met the tub (horizontal).
I used clear silicon bathroom sealant I found at Home Depot. A year later and it's still holding up.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857