cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What TC truly sleeps 4 adults ?

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Our family of 4 are dipping our feet in the Truck Camper waters. Ideally we’d like at least a queen with 2 bunks that can hold a 6’ teenager. We’d also like a decent size dry bath. Primary use for this camper will be to sleep in while traveling to national parks. Hard sided is a must because we camp in grizzly country and some spots require hard sided campers.We are buying the truck camper before the truck so no worries there. Decent quality would be good. New or used is fine.

I’ve looked at the Eagle Cap 1165 and 1200... and the Lance 1172 I believe. Really nice but the bunks and dinettes are small.

We’re also not opposed to setting up 2 cots in the camper if needed....

Any suggestions?
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
54 REPLIES 54

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
This would be listed as cruel and unusual punishment! LOL A TT makes a better deal and a far more enjoyable outing,
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I'm in the 34.2% that never have.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

I just went out and measured my dinette in my TC...Exactly 6ft aka 72 inches long ...And 42 inches wide..You could sleep 2 adults on it if they liked each other..lol...Then there is the fold down bunk /storage above the dinette,also 6ft long and rated for 150 pounds I believe without modifications...

The thing is these truck campers are campers not motel rooms...Most Lance truck campers are rated to sleep 4-5 people and they will if your not picky and realize your in a camper to enjoy the outdoors and kinda roughing it,so to speak...

I don't see why any cab-over camper wouldn't sleep 4 adults. Two of them just aren't going to get a queen size bed.
And I can see two adults (not huge ones) sleeping on the dinette.
My dinette doesn't fold down into a bed anymore but don't question that it's 6' long.
I never knew what the weight rating was for the bed over the dinette was but I can see it easily holding 150 lbs.
Maybe mines missing some pieces but it looks a little awkward for one to climb up and get in it. Did they come with ladders or something??

That space is just extra storage for me.

I know families have camped in campers for YEARS, just not sure I could.

I've been single for years. I'm on my second camper and so far I've never had a 2nd person stay with me.

Not so sure if that's good or bad. LOL
Kenny

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t think most TC dinettes are even 6 ft. In spite of being short, we’ve had more than one short person sleep on our dinette. One complained and one didn’t. Maybe that means one is just a complainer.

I just went out and measured my dinette in my TC...Exactly 6ft aka 72 inches long ...And 42 inches wide..You could sleep 2 adults on it if they liked each other..lol...Then there is the fold down bunk /storage above the dinette,also 6ft long and rated for 150 pounds I believe without modifications...

The thing is these truck campers are campers not motel rooms...Most Lance truck campers are rated to sleep 4-5 people and they will if your not picky and realize your in a camper to enjoy the outdoors and kinda roughing it,so to speak...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t think most TC dinettes are even 6 ft. In spite of being short, we’ve had more than one short person sleep on our dinette. One complained and one didn’t. Maybe that means one is just a complainer. 😄

We also have a factory fold down bunk that’s above the dinette. It’s rated for about 100 lbs. I don’t know if a smaller adult would survive up there or not, but my guess is it is possible. We got the bunk because we got a great deal on the TC because it was already on the lot.

Fast forward 14 years later, and we have 3 grandkids that could sleep on the dinette and bunk, for sure with two on the dinette and one on the bunk.

Since our TC is a double slide we have a lot of floor space so someone “could” sleep on the floor with enough room to slide by to the restroom.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting poll from truck camper magazine on using the dinette to sleep on..Some do all the time,some sometimes and a bunch never have..

Back in the day,most all of the dinettes were east to west instead of north to south..The dinette was the width of the truck camper just under the overhead bunk..Most truck campers were only 93" wide then but the dinette bed was huge compared to these north to south dinettes that are most used now.A 6ft person could easily sleep on the dinette without being cramped as well as a couple..

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Bedlam
Most of dinettes make into a twin single bed, so the fourth person either sleeps on the floor or in the truck. It would be tight sleeping two on dinette that are not small kids.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
The standard depth of an RV dinette is 72" aka 6 feet...It doesn't matter the RV type..There are few exceptions..So yes,most truck campers will sleep four adults as will most Class C etc..Some truck campers have the couch option as do other types of RV's but very few are larger than 6 feet...

My youngest is 6'4.5" and he has slept in several RV'S just cockeyed in the dinette or couch....Is sleeping in a truck camper like sleeping at home...No it is not...They are campers,not homes...

If the Lance 1172 dinette is to small for your needs,I doubt you will find what you're after in a truck camper..JMHO...There may be dinettes out there larger than around 6 feet in a truck camper, but I'm just not aware of one..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I took some "stuff" out to my camper this morning and as I was looking in I could only see room for two adults and no room for any children.

That's because there up in one of the two bunks where the kids and dogs hangout when in a truck camper..(Laffin)
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I was going to head out this morning for a couple of days until the boss called a staff meeting tomorrow morning so I won't be heading out until next Wednesday.

I took some "stuff" out to my camper this morning and as I was looking in I could only see room for two adults and no room for any children. :W :B
Kenny

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

4 adults in a TC is not going to be ideal no matter how you slice it. You're going to have to make COMPROMISES. That seems to be a word that's absent from most RVer's vocabularies.

I think spending $80,000 on truck and $70,000 on camper is a compromise?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
John & Christine wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent? We did as kids and loved it while M&D slept in the station wagon. Two cots in a TC? You must be kidding.
I found out on another forum 2 cots will fit in a EC 1165/1200. Still not ideal.

4 adults in a TC is not going to be ideal no matter how you slice it. You're going to have to make COMPROMISES. That seems to be a word that's absent from most RVer's vocabularies.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
You could go the EarthRoamer route: https://earthroamer.com/hd/
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Bedlam
The Host Everest is the best layout for four adult sized people if no one wants to sleep on the camper floor or in the truck. Host does make a bunk house option, but I have only seen pictures.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

specta
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:

Not worth the risk. I wouldn't want to chance losing all those tax deductions.

Sometimes we just need a like or a LOL button.
Kenny