cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What TV will handle a 7-8k GVWR TT ?

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
I know most trucks will pull , but i want something that will go up and down safely .. I live in NJ so not many of the roads are flat per say . Keep in mind the new TV will be my DD as well so i need something that will handle DD and towing on weekends. First time towing and RVing ! 🙂

We wont be towing every weekend either and we wont be staying out for long trips too.
I plan on getting a TT that is around 26-27 FT length MAX and dont want no more then 7-7500 GVWR on the TT too ... Loading the vehicle and TT will be light since its only me and my gf , but would like the extra payload on the TV and CCC on the TT in case we bring 2 other adults.

I have been thinking of these 3:

Ford f150 Ecoboost
Dodge Ram 1500
Chevy 1500

I plan on taking all 3 out for a test drive to see what i like best for DD but i will sacrifice ride comfort for safely towing. I just want to do everything right the first time and not regret something or get something underpowered .

So any real time experience is greatly appreciated , and hello as a new member !
55 REPLIES 55

blt2ski
The F150HD would work well. THe 1500 GM with 1800 lbs of payload should work.

One has to remember, from a speed standpoint, less hp is slower. Smaller engine will make it so you go slower. For some an issue. other not.

WInd resistance on the trailer is also an issue, but not talked about.

So you live in an area with steeper grades? if so, then you want a combo of high torque, lowest gears possible in both the trans and rear end. An older 25 series truck with a 4.10 rear end, while supposidly a great ra for towing, it it is setup with a 2.48 first gear, you have all of about 9-1 overall low ratio. Mean while, a 3.42 geared rig with a 6.7 like the muncie 4 sp, has over a 20-1 overall low ratio. The 3.42 geared rig will pull a steeper grade assuming the same motor and truck than the higher rated 4.10 geared rig!

A new rig with 3.42 gears and the 6 sp from GM would work well. 3.73 a better option. I would personally want around 2000 lbs of payload. but 1600-1800 would work. That is upwards of 1200 for hweight, 400-500 for spouse and I, need to include mr winston and a genset or firewood too. maybe my canoe and a rack....hmmmmmmmmm.......might need that F150hd after all....or a 25 series......hmmmmmmmm.....how much junque do you want to take. bikes, etc? Do you need a canopy? another 200-300 lbs of payload gone or needed.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
aedubber wrote:
Marty- what type of vehicle would you recommend to me that I can tow with on weekends and use as a daily driver ? I was thinking of buying an old truck for cheap if possible to use as a the TV, but I dont wanna run into repairs right away or get stuck on the road with an older beat up truck.

What's wrong with an F150 HD? V8 or V6, you can get 2600lbs+ of payload, with a 4800lb rear GAWR. Sounds to me like that should cover your situation well.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
brother manning ,
you are incorrect on this particular point .
the 17.5 to 1 compression is what creates the braking .
my 2002 duramax / allison does not have a "jake brake " type feature .

Bmanning was right, diesels have inherently poor engine braking because they run un-throttled. Less pumping restriction, which is a large factor in their light load efficiency.
Engine braking is largely a function of intake manifold vacuum. It is also the reason many diesels come standard with an auxiliary engine brake, as does any big rig.
I'm not saying a D-max isn't working FOR YOU, I'm just saying that diesels have inherently poorer engine braking abilities. That's why no one adds an exhasut brake to a gasser, typically.

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
Marty- what type of vehicle would you recommend to me that I can tow with on weekends and use as a daily driver ? I was thinking of buying an old truck for cheap if possible to use as a the TV, but I dont wanna run into repairs right away or get stuck on the road with an older beat up truck.

blt2ski
The lack of low gearing can be how GM will only let you spec a rig too. I had two 3500's with 454's that due to the gearing in the trans, I could not pull a hill greater than 15-20% in 1st gear with 16K gcwr's. Meanwhile, my 81 reg cab 2500 with a muncie 4sp, 4.10 gears and a little 292 I 6, COULD pull 16K up a 20+% grade, and it had a gcwr LESS than its gvwr at the time. Al;tho if you read the fine print, I was good to 2000 over its gvwr per say......

Having a HD tow pkg does not mean you can tow up and over ANY grade hill etc either! Even my old 6.5td could put pull my dmax at steeper grades at the same gcw. Yet the dmax has 50% more torque and HP!

THere is way more to can you tow it, vs tow ratings etc.

BUT, with that said....a truck with 1800 lbs of payload, assuming 3.73 gears, or 3.42 would work if it has the 6 sp tranny for a weekend warrior as you would be, with a smaller trailer with say dual 3500 lbs axles. Try to keep the height down. ALong with going with smooth fiberglass sides vs corrogated aluminum. The fiberglass will wiegh more by 500 lbs or so, but the smoothness of it will be easier to tow due to less wind resistance!

Marty

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
What would you pull with your jeep? figure that is about as much as some of the std lighter gvwr 1500's would pull. Same with how much you would load into it.

Hence why, when one starts talking carrying people, AND hitch in the 1000-1200 lb range, one is into an 8lug 25 series truck really fast, really quick. As I noted, my family of 6 comes in at 1200-1300 lbs. Putting MOST if not all crew cab style 15 series trucks AT gvwr much less including the hitch wt of the trailer.

For two people, yes, a reg cab or ext cab 1500 will do just fine towing 8K or so lbs. My now 26 yr old son does just that with his 05 reg cab GM and a 4.8 V8! With upwards of 300 ponies to work with, plenty of power if one is willing to let the motor rev! He has not issues with most hills holding freeway speeds, along with local roads. But as he states, I also know this, some of the steeper grades around here, he would stall out due to lack of low gearing, not power, but gearing!

Marty

Well i never mentioned towing with my Jeep and i am not a family of 6. Its just me and my gf , were a young couple . This would be for just a weekend thing and keep it local in the tri state area. I would be going to camp sites that have full hook ups , we wouldnt pack too much since its just 2 of us only staying for 2-3 days max . I have been doing research , and this would be a new vehicle purchase so i would be specing it out with proper gearing and HD tow package. I dont need a crew cab , so that will give me more payload as well . The GM 1500 i test drove had a payload of 1850lbs on the sticker and that was with the extended cab which was perfect.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some food for thought..

We have a 13' F-150 Ecoboost XLT, 4x4, Screw, Max tow, HD 8200 GVWR, 2172 load capacity pulling a an 07' 294RLS Cougar TT GVWR 9455. Truck carring me, DW, 5# Yorkie, 2 gens, tool box, hitch & has a tonneau cover and bed liner + 36 gallons of gas scaled @ 6840 ready to tow.
Scaled traveling with trailer loaded

Travel Ready
FAW 3260
RAW + Trailer 11560
Truck Weight 7900
Trailer axle Weight 7060
Truck & Trailer 14960

We're on a 4500 mile trip as we speak and are averaging 9.6 - 10.2 after a little over 4000 miles. Have climbed some serious hills (frig-gen mountains) and it pulled em as good, if not better, than our old 6.0 did and have had no problems going down the back sides. We found several places where our trailer wouldn't fit so DW wants to upgrade to a shorter trailer. This is my story & I'm sticking to it. Good Luck

milo
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

blt2ski
What would you pull with your jeep? figure that is about as much as some of the std lighter gvwr 1500's would pull. Same with how much you would load into it.

Hence why, when one starts talking carrying people, AND hitch in the 1000-1200 lb range, one is into an 8lug 25 series truck really fast, really quick. As I noted, my family of 6 comes in at 1200-1300 lbs. Putting MOST if not all crew cab style 15 series trucks AT gvwr much less including the hitch wt of the trailer.

For two people, yes, a reg cab or ext cab 1500 will do just fine towing 8K or so lbs. My now 26 yr old son does just that with his 05 reg cab GM and a 4.8 V8! With upwards of 300 ponies to work with, plenty of power if one is willing to let the motor rev! He has not issues with most hills holding freeway speeds, along with local roads. But as he states, I also know this, some of the steeper grades around here, he would stall out due to lack of low gearing, not power, but gearing!

Marty

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I really enjoy and was looking at picking up a Jeep Wrangler 5 door model for my GF , I love jeeps as you can tell lol . So im assuming I should probably start looking at some Class C's huh ? I was out at the show in Hershey, PA and found some amazing class C's that would work great.

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
bmanning wrote:
aedubber wrote:
Lol agreed . Well the scenario is that I A. Just buy a vehicle for my gf and then buy a Class C MH and keep my jeep im driving.

B. Give her my jeep , buy a 1/2 ton truck for daily driving for myself and towing a TT when we go out camping etc.

Just trying to make a logical and practical choice here but seems hard.

No wrong way to go but if you already own a Jeep you'd have a built-in vehicle to flat tow behind a C, immediately eliminating the biggest issue people have with motor homes.

ding ding!
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
aedubber wrote:
Lol agreed . Well the scenario is that I A. Just buy a vehicle for my gf and then buy a Class C MH and keep my jeep im driving.

B. Give her my jeep , buy a 1/2 ton truck for daily driving for myself and towing a TT when we go out camping etc.

No wrong way to go but if you already own a Jeep you'd have a built-in vehicle to flat tow behind a C, immediately eliminating the biggest issue people have with motor homes.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
aedubber wrote:
So basically I need a dually or 2500 series or 250 series truck in other words. Hmm , I might just be better off with a Class C MH and just pull my Jeep .. I will kee going to the RV shows until I decide what I want I guess.. choices choices lol .

Lots of choices, if you don't want/need a pickup. That Class C will not make a great daily driver and it won't haul much gravel though. Just kidding, we all get to make lots of decisions. That is the fun of freedom.

aedubber
Explorer
Explorer
So basically I need a dually or 2500 series or 250 series truck in other words. Hmm , I might just be better off with a Class C MH and just pull my Jeep .. I will kee going to the RV shows until I decide what I want I guess.. choices choices lol .