cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We seem to be living in a fast changing world...vehicle wise anyways. Lot of talk about how there will be no internal combustion engines available within the next 10-15 years or so, they all be zero emission electrical powered.

At this point I really don't know what is going to be available vehicle wise and although when we bought it new, we intended to trade in our 2015 gas engined vehicle in a new 2020 gas vehicle...at this point we've decided to keep what we have for a few years past 2020...just to see what shakes out in the vehicle market.

Given GM says they will introduce 20 new EV platforms in 2023 and I'm sure Ford will be there too...who knows what is going to be on the market.

I'm said to see Internal Combustion engines go...as I'm a enthusiast...but...

So my question for the day is what do you think your new tow vehicle you buy in 2030 or so...is going to be like and what will it's powerplant be ?
76 REPLIES 76

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
Kevinwa wrote:
I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

X2

X3

While the vehicle itself in use is "Zero Emissions", getting there is not!
To truly claim that "Zero Emissions" the electricity would need to come from either wind or hyrdo. The batteries would need to 100% recyclable without toxic chemicals, not likely to happen soon.

Curious. What toxic chemicals are in batteries. I know lead acid are toxic and can’t go to a landfill but don’t know what’s in a lithium ion battery that makes it toxic.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm still camping in 10 years I'll probably be downsized by then and own a smaller pickup truck and a smaller camper. I won't do electric unless there is no other choice.

Most of the people selling the GW catastrophe stories are doing so to make themselves richer than they already are. Most of them have a carbon footprint much larger than mine.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAS43 wrote:
Kevinwa wrote:
I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

X2

X3

While the vehicle itself in use is "Zero Emissions", getting there is not!
To truly claim that "Zero Emissions" the electricity would need to come from either wind or hyrdo. The batteries would need to 100% recyclable without toxic chemicals, not likely to happen soon.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I plan to keep driving my F150 until a viable EV truck or MH becomes available.
Not sure I will see it in my lifetime.

"Viable" ? Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery and/or electric motor technology a vehicle capable of towing 7,000-10,000 lbs for more than 200 miles IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY !

The only other fuel that has a "mostly" built infrastructure is natural gas. I don't see that as making a huge dent in liquid petroleum.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably keep my current rig for the next 10, but 15.... who knows.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Short of a small turbine powering a purely electric drivetrain I hopefully will still be pulling with the 6BT 5spd+2 in the same truck I have now.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Follow the money, oil companies, tobacco companies etc have all of the DC people in their pockets so gas, diesel etc will be around long after you are turned off.

Oh good grief. Any other conspiracy theories you’d like to bring up?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Probably won’t be towing and we will be out of our old pusher in about 5 years after 21 years of reliable service. In 10 years we’ll probably still be touring Europe and North Africa in an electric class B of some sort. Or maybe we’ll just be using electric rental cars and staying in Hostels and Pensiones. Either way it’ll be electric because if it’s gas or diesel you won’t be able to drive it into a city in most of Europe. That is probably 3 or 4 decades away in North America.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
In 10 years, still be using gas or diesel to tow. I really expect to be driving a 2020 truck still in 2030. The next commuting car for the wife will most likely be electric in 10 years.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kevinwa wrote:

X2

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I won't be here and if I am, I won't be RV'ing anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
IMHO...ICE or a hybrid of some sort

Same issues with an all-electric semi, but a semi has more room for batteries. Even in light of their higher GVWR/GCWR

Maybe if they standardize on a replaceable battery pack, but “they” most likely won’t work together

Just decided...going to rebuild my 1996 K3500, 7.4L Suburban, which is at +169,000 VERY, VERY HARD miles....Maybe it will go another 169,000 very hard miles

Do wish for an electric motor to stuff into my Suburban, as first few careers were in variable speed, electric motor controls.

Or Ben...if you decide to keep your big block Suburban a big block Suburban...how about the GM Performance Catalogue HT502 V8... Rat motor...with 502 cubic inches, 406 hp @ 4200 rpm and 541 lb. ft. or torque @ 3200 rpm.

I recently picked up Chevy Performance catalogue from the local Chevy dealer...$ 5 USD...makes for great reading for a gearhead like me.

Of course cost of crate engines is something else again. 😄

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I think most of these predictions of the demise of the ICE are largely made by young, tech-savvy urbanites. I don't think they have a clue what their predictions mean for the rest of the country.
Farmers, loggers, and excavators use ICE equipment all day long (and sometimes all night). Even if there were electric combines, tractors, log skiders, etc. exactly where do they think they will recharged in the middle of a wheat field or the forest? Equipment doesn't come back to a farm or business every night where there might be grid power. It stays out where it is needed.
Then there is the economics of everyone getting new electric vehicles. It's very common to see 20 year old vehicles on the road. 30 year old vehicles aren't rare. I even see some 40 year old models regularly enough. There's no way people that drive all these older vehicles are going to go spend the $40,000 or more that it takes to buy a new electric car. My own fleet of 4 vehicles range from 17 to 9 years old. They continue to serve us well. When I buy a vehicle it's typically 5 to 10 years old.
I suspect that the vast majority of towing will still be ICE powered in 15 years. For all the hype on electric cars now they're only about 3% of all vehicles.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...ICE or a hybrid of some sort

Same issues with an all-electric semi, but a semi has more room for batteries. Even in light of their higher GVWR/GCWR

Maybe if they standardize on a replaceable battery pack, but “they” most likely won’t work together

Just decided...going to rebuild my 1996 K3500, 7.4L Suburban, which is at +169,000 VERY, VERY HARD miles....Maybe it will go another 169,000 very hard miles

Do wish for an electric motor to stuff into my Suburban, as first few careers were in variable speed, electric motor controls.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
10 or 15 years from now the green house emissions pablum we've been getting fed will be replaced with some other hysteria.

31 years ago environmental experts Ted Danson & Whoopi Goldberg stood on the stage of the Democratic National Convention and told the crowd if global warming wasn't reversed in 10 years the planet would be inundated. Yet, here we are.....

ICE engines are going nowhere unless outlawed by the gubbiment.