cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We seem to be living in a fast changing world...vehicle wise anyways. Lot of talk about how there will be no internal combustion engines available within the next 10-15 years or so, they all be zero emission electrical powered.

At this point I really don't know what is going to be available vehicle wise and although when we bought it new, we intended to trade in our 2015 gas engined vehicle in a new 2020 gas vehicle...at this point we've decided to keep what we have for a few years past 2020...just to see what shakes out in the vehicle market.

Given GM says they will introduce 20 new EV platforms in 2023 and I'm sure Ford will be there too...who knows what is going to be on the market.

I'm said to see Internal Combustion engines go...as I'm a enthusiast...but...

So my question for the day is what do you think your new tow vehicle you buy in 2030 or so...is going to be like and what will it's powerplant be ?
76 REPLIES 76

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Parked!
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lets see...I bought Red about 10 years ago and she was almost 20 years old then with less than 90K on the clock. So buy that template; if I replace red with a newer...say 2011+ truck with low miles on it....in 10-15 years I will be driving another regular truck.

They will NEVER eliminate the internal combustion engine in your life-time...or your children's.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
big_jeff wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
A hearse perhaps.

Electric of course!

At that point, who the heck cares?
The funeral home?

LMAO....
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
big_jeff wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
A hearse perhaps.

Electric of course!

The funeral home?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
big_jeff wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
A hearse perhaps.

Electric of course!

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Judging by the prices on the new trucks that I like....probably the same truck I'm towing with now. :B

Based on the miles I've put on it in the last few years it will just barely be hitting 200K miles by then.

How successful this next group of big gassers is will probably tell us a lot about what will be in trucks in about 10 years. I'm sure manufactures are hoping to get at least 10 years out of them.

I have no idea where diesels are going...they keep making more power, but the government really seems to be trying to kill them.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
A hearse perhaps.

Electric of course!

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the money, oil companies, tobacco companies etc have all of the DC people in their pockets so gas, diesel etc will be around long after you are turned off.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think viable EV tow vehicles are going to be a little further out than regular EVs, barring some kind of breakthrough. Towing burns a ton of energy and a lot of campers in my part of country get towed out to primitive areas in the mountains with no services. I suppose you could put out a solar panel and exercise a great deal more patience than 5 gallon cans of extra diesel would take, but I don't know how viable that is.

As to the question of the thread, with any luck I'll still be using the Ram in my sig.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
10-15 years? Internal combustion engines aren't going anywhere. The oil industry is too big and the longevity of electric cars (both in terms of the vehicles themselves and the business model) is yet to be proven. I predict in 10 years I'll be driving something that runs on gasoline just like I have now, albeit perhaps a bit more fuel efficient.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I plan to keep driving my F150 until a viable EV truck or MH becomes available.
Not sure I will see it in my lifetime.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if we are driving electric trucks there will have to be some mobile method to recharge these trucks . What will that be , solar , wind , large petro fired generators , Diesel/electric today powers trains and ships .
My self I believe that there will be infernal combustion engines on the road for many , many years to come . I do not see large construction equipment stopping to recharge or farmers with acres of beans to pick stopping to recharge . I wonder what kind of truck will deliver your new Prius !

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A hearse perhaps.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you reside in an urban or suburban environment, chances are your daily transportation will be electric, but if you are rural, you will likely be in some hybridized form of vehicle if your not still in something akin to our trucks/cars of today.
Long distance travel will still necessitate some form of fuel which can rapidly and economically be added to vehicles not parked at a power station every 50-100 miles. Yes I know some can go farther, but the cost skyrocket faster than the readouts on the local Pilot diesel pump.

Being able to refuel will still be seen as a valuable commodity to much of the country, but the city dwellers will try their hardest to snuff out the internal combustion engine.