cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelbase questions

mexmahon
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at towing a 8500# dry weight 5th wheel. The TV we're looking at is a f250 6.7 diesel, 6 3/4 box super cab. I'm not to concerned with the weight but the shorter super cab wheelbase is 142" vs a longer 156" in the crew cab. Any issues with the shorter truck on handling? Made a similar post but can't find it now.
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nope, rock on. That truck is a great fit for what you're doing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I could blind fold folks and let them ride in both....they won't tell much if any difference if both had the same std equipment/options/suspensions (2wd vs 4wd).

Now back when short bed trucks had 118"-122" wheelbase and long beds had 132"-136" wheel base then we had big differences in ride quality.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mexmahon
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the input. this is a great place for new 5ers and rv'ers.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will likely experience a slightly choppier ride with the shorter WB.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't think you'd notice the difference, towing a FW. In either model, you will be hitched over rear axle center, or slightly forward, which is why a FW handles well.

I am towing with SC 6' 9" bed and it tows great! I think the 142 allows easier backing in tight situations, so a plus IMO.

Jerry

blt2ski
Other post was in the wrong forum, and closed!

As far as the 12" of wheel base, in your case, I doubt there will be much difference in the way the two rigs handle your trailer.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer