cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find steel 16x8" 8 lug wheels for 2500HD

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking on line (Google) for 8" steel wheels that will replace my factory wheels. I do not want aluminum.

The sites that pop up haven't addressed the heavier truck wheels, just hot rods. I would like to find some manufacturers that give specs.

I don't want 19.5s.

Any search suggestions?
Joe and Evelyn
39 REPLIES 39

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Yeah, but the number of people that toss their stock steel wheels in favor of bling wheels, or who choose the truck with the bling wheels to begin with, far exceeds the number of people who want to downgrade.

I would put money on the actual number being somewhere in the hundreds-to-one or thousands-to-one ratio.

Agree...but...I have been searching (nation-wide) for the GM chrome steelies...and could not find any. Anywhere.

The salvage yard I bought the (non-chrome) steelies from said he has not seen a single chrome wheel in the 8 yrs they have been out? He deals in all GM stuff. He suggested the chrome caps for the plain-jane steelies. It's a good idea...and will look exactly the same.

BTW; my 16 x 7 wheels just arrived on the loading dock I'll mount them later this week!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, but the number of people that toss their stock steel wheels in favor of bling wheels, or who choose the truck with the bling wheels to begin with, far exceeds the number of people who want to downgrade.

I would put money on the actual number being somewhere in the hundreds-to-one or thousands-to-one ratio.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
If you're going to go to 285's, you go with bling alloy rims. After all, it's only money.

THen there's people like me that got rid of the bling wheels right after buying my recent truck.

I also found some OEM steel wheels on CL and bought them. They are ugly as heck, but the price couldn't be beat considering they came with new tires. THey are from a GM 3/4 ton van.

These are what came on the truck:

Get some of the "chrome" (plastic)covers; clicky they will look just like the chrome steel wheels...

Here's a question; found some wheels on CL...the Guys swears they are GM OEM 16 x 8 alum wheels (I think he is measuring wrong)...I can't find that GM ever sold 16 x 8 wheels in either aluminum or steel...can anybody verify that?

Thanks, Bill
p.s. My steelies should arrive today!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
If you're going to go to 285's, you go with bling alloy rims. After all, it's only money.

THen there's people like me that got rid of the bling wheels right after buying my recent truck.

I also found some OEM steel wheels on CL and bought them. They are ugly as heck, but the price couldn't be beat considering they came with new tires. THey are from a GM 3/4 ton van.

These are what came on the truck:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Joe417 wrote:
He may be right, but I think there are many who would buy them for the safety peace of mind rather than 19.5s.

Hmm, probably not. Most people don't even think about things like that.

Remember this forum only represents a small fraction of the truck camper owning world.

Really, this is the first time in 10 years that I can recall ANYONE seeking a plain-jane 8" wide steel 16" rim. That's not scientific proof by a long shot but it's a pretty good litmus test.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe417 wrote:
You are right Bill. The tires are Firestone and they recommend 7.5 - 9" wheels.

I thought you had found the holy grail of 285 tires!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking at new rims there is no reason not to look at 17 and 18 inch rims. Much easier to find a 8" wide 18" rim than for the 16". Even my factory forged aluminum rims at 17" are 7" wide which limits my tire choices as many specify a 7.5" minimum. If you alter the profile the overall tire height will be little changed with the larger rim diameter.

I have a 2011 GM truck and that year GM changed the bolt pattern and even 3 years later few wheel manufacturers make ones for the new GM heavy duty trucks and designed for carrying 3800 or more lbs.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
You are right Bill. The tires are Firestone and they recommend 7.5 - 9" wheels.
Joe and Evelyn

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe417 wrote:
I called Stockton Wheel Service. They can make a wider wheel but it would be by widening the inner edge of the rim. That wouldn't work with the 285/75r16s as it would rub when turning. He said their wheels were also Lug centric which we certainly don't want with a heavier load.

Lug or hub centric has nothing to do with the load carrying abilities of a wheel. Yes you have to be a little more diligent when tightening the lugs on a lug centric to assure centering, but it is the torque on lug nuts that allow the wheel to carry the load, not the hub. The friction between the wheel and the mounting surface is what carries the load.

I believe the manufacturer uses hub centric wheels because they expedite the installation processes. They also know the diameter of the hub on the vehicle so they can specify the hub hole diameter on the wheel. Third party wheel manufacturers have to make their wheels somewhat generic hence the lug centering.

My $0.02
Dan
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe417 wrote:

I still haven't had time to try the salvage yard for some 16x7s from a 3500. The tire manufacturer recommended 7 to 8.5s. An additional 1/2" will help some

Joe, which tire Mfr recommended a 7"-8.5" wheel for a 285 tire?

Every 285 I looked at said 7.5" min for a 285...I would love to find a 285 for 7" wheel.

Thanx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will have a full set of steel GM 3500 16 X 7 wheels on Monday!

Here's the trick; buy the steelies and then the "chrome" (plastic covers) will look just like the chrome OEM wheels (made of unobtanium apparently...)

Can't wait to get 'em on...

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I called Stockton Wheel Service. They can make a wider wheel but it would be by widening the inner edge of the rim. That wouldn't work with the 285/75r16s as it would rub when turning. He said their wheels were also Lug centric which we certainly don't want with a heavier load.

I mentioned that they really need to come up with a standard 8" heavy duty wheel for RVers at least the 3 major brands. He said there wasn't enough business to support their efforts but he would mention it to the engineering department.

He may be right, but I think there are many who would buy them for the safety peace of mind rather than 19.5s. I'm not concerned about my wheels safety but I would like the tire to meet the road more when there is no load on the truck.

I still haven't had time to try the salvage yard for some 16x7s from a 3500. The tire manufacturer recommended 7 to 8.5s. An additional 1/2" will help some
Joe and Evelyn

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
The steel wheels are available in 6.5" and 7". The 7" are from 3500 SRW trucks.

The 6.5" are not...they were from 1500/2500 WT trucks.

AFAIK;There really is nothing to be gained switching from aluminum 16 x 6.5 to steel 16 x 6.5.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
... here's a set of OEM steel wheels that are also 16x6.5

6.5", identical to the ones in the ebay listing
Bob