cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy new Diesel, Dave Smith in Idaho?

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
I'm retiring, have my Bigfoot 10.4 on order for late May (pick up in Portland, OR), and getting rid of junk around the house. I need to order a 2019 Ram 3500 diesel dually long bed crew cab 4x4 soon to have for that camper!

I live/work in northern CA, bay area.

Is it worth checking out other dealers or is the Idaho dealer just going to blow them away? I'll try 1 or 2 Oregon dealers, but have no idea who has a good reputation up there.

My mother lives in OR currently, so trying to work out how to have the truck registered there and not pay sales tax. I WILL be using OR as my home base, plan to get a drivers license, etc.

I don't think I need dual alternators, do I? My style of camping is anticipated to be staying in one place for a week or two, so not sure how much charging from the vehicle buys me.

I do want the factory air, looking for softer ride when camper dismounted, and Hellwig does offer their sway bar now for Rams with factory air! If I don't like the way the rig drives, now there is the option for the Hellwig.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Dave

P.S. Oh, to save money, guess I'll go for single tone paint, no pink rally stripes, I'll have to pass on having my rig look like Grit Dog's!
21 REPLIES 21

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Dillon has all their prices posted online. Of course 19s aren't on the lot yet, but order now, I think first deliveries start in March for the Gen 4.5s.

Dillion is where I found the best price on 2 of my last three trucks. When I tried Dave Smith was 1.5k to 2K higher but that was a few years ago. Bought my last truck from a Litiha dealer they were the only ones with a truck I was looking for. But price was ok.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you mean 85%.

Yes, you are correct. Good eye.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
romore wrote:
That is a long way to go to buy a truck, I can't see saving enough to jusify the cost and time.

People fly in to Spokane daily to buy a truck at Dave Smith. There's so many people flying in, Dave Smith has a shuttle van the pick people up at the airport with.

A good majority of their business is from all over the country, not from locals.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine from Bonham Ram, jeep, Chrysler in Bonham TX after chasing it on E-bay till the 2015 spring rebates kicked in
Saved a bundle.

EfonFred
Explorer
Explorer
Very pleased with our dealings with D Smith in Kellog. We bought a hard to find used model, they had the lowest mileage one with the most goodies for the lowest price, by a thousand. No haggle, did most of it over the phone, salesman even sent us away with some fresh venison and bear meat! Seriously, I hate buying vehicles because of the usual shenanigans the sales staff run you through.
2011 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2015 Adventurer 86SBS

Camp_woof
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I have some feelers out now with local (Oregon) and Dave Smith, will try Dillon. Local has at least 3 locations in southern Oregon, so they have in blanketed! I'll really try local to support local biz, if they can get close enough, I'm good.

It does take time, ordering these are new to everyone and hard to figure out package vs. a la carte right now.

Sure will be a cool truck, all 3 brands of duallies seem to be beasts!
Dave

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
.. look for paying about 0.85 percent of factory MSRP sticker.
I think you mean 85%.
He does. He's just giving you a quick way to calculate the actual selling price. For example, MSRP = $1000 X .85 = $850, which is 85% of the MSRP.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Dillon has all their prices posted online. Of course 19s aren't on the lot yet, but order now, I think first deliveries start in March for the Gen 4.5s.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:
.. look for paying about 0.85 percent of factory MSRP sticker.
I think you mean 85%.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
YOu are looking in the right place. You can have a vehicle shipped or go up and get it. Texas has some large high volume dealerships also. There is a national market now. No reason to pay local prices.

I see Dave Smith license plate frames all the time here in Nevada.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
....Dennis Dillon gave me a nice firm figure that was competitive with my local dealer, but, when I got serious the local dealer started increasing the price by $1700; so I get a paid vacation to Idaho to see an old employee and I’ll put $1K in my pocket after expenses over buying local.... Local guy got greedy.....

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it worth checking out other dealers or is the Idaho dealer just going to blow them away? I'll try 1 or 2 Oregon dealers, but have no idea who has a good reputation up there.

Dave Smith in Kellogg and Dennis Dillion in Boise offer great prices on new Rams. Should you want to purchase locally look for paying about 0.85 percent of factory MSRP sticker. If you want to get lower than that you will likely have to work much harder. I was able to purchase for about $350 more than Dave Smith as my dealer calculated what it would approximately cost to go get it and added that to the local cost. So, I purchased locally. Dennis Dillion shares the 'no dicker' price on the internet so you know exactly what you will pay. Kind of nice, really.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few dealers in So Cal that usually meet or beat the out of state dealers.
Huntington Beach Dodge have trucks $12-14k off sticker but not as much inventory.
Bob Baker in Carlsbad and Hunter Dodge in Lancaster are worth a look.
I’ve bought from Hunter and Baker. Both good and will come down from advertised prices.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 3 friends from Nor Cal who made the trip to D/S in ID. You might see if any of the Nor NV Dodge dealers are willing to deal. You never know.