cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMP service to select

barbrude
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting close to purchasing our first travel trailer and have finally figured out the best size, weight, style for our needs but now a new question has presented itself that has us rather stumped. Should we go with 30 amp or 50 amp service? Our trailer of choice is a Winnebago One 26RK with a 15k btu air conditioner. 50 amp seems like the logical choice but are we missing something? any help will be greatly appreciated!
32 REPLIES 32

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Modern RV’s have long ago outgrown the 30 amp service, just as they have outgrown the old 15 amp service years ago…

The RV industry doesn’t like change, they are still using outdated brakes from the 50’s on most trailers, and only recently started using self-adjusting brakes on a few models…

Power management is almost always necessary with a 30 Amp RV, because there are too many things we can’t control… for example we control the AC on switch but not when the compressor starts and stops, or when the water heater kicks on, or when the battery charger decides the battery needs a boost… the water heater and fridge and other DC circuits still draw power while connected to shore power… RV conveniences have passed the 30 Amp threshold a long time ago…

My AC normally draws more than 10 running amp, and the converter alone can draw from 1 -8 amps, you also should allow for a least about 8 amps for start-up draws… you are basically at your limit with only the AC turned on within the risk area of tripping the breaker most of the time… you can't schedule the loads, you can only not use them to manage your power consumption... the very few good reasons to choose 30A are due to the industries lack of providing the power needs for the installed amenities…

If you are always Boondocking, that normally requires power and water management anyway no matter which service entrance you have…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if I am the only person to order a new 5th wheel and HATE that it comes with a Marinco 50a attachment and cord. In 15 years of camping BC, Alta and Sask we have never stayed at a park with 50A service. Its just not that common in Canada like it is stateside where multiple A/C use is the norm. Now I want to buy a park power 50a to 30a marinco attachment with a 25' cord so I don't have to lug the heavy and awkward $200 cord around. The one foot long 50a threaded connector with a 30a end is $140, and then I could use my 30a extension cord to plug in. What a pain. Just wanted to throw a small wrench into the discussion.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

barbrude
Explorer
Explorer
Finally ordered a tt, went with 50 amp, thanks all for the help!

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
What is the price difference? If you can bear it, go with 50 (really 100) amp.

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
I have 75 amp service, and its the best of all. If I need 50 amp, I have an adapter. If I need 30 amp, I use that adapter.. Works like a charm and is the amperage of the future in RVing

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the 50 amp, and add the 2nd air when' I bought it.
It easier to do it when purchased and should be cheaper.
Course I am from TX. Been 100 ++++ for several days.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Bob,

What has a converter got to do with a 50 amp service? (scratching my head).

The AC inputs would be different and the converter is usually integrated to make a single unit. That's what I was trying to say..
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bob,

What has a converter got to do with a 50 amp service? (scratching my head).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
If 50A is an option, that's a no-brainer. The cost as an option is going to be much less than a later conversion. Additionally, the 50A option is probably going to come with a higher capacity DC Converter. ,If you even think you may add a second AC later, then you need it for sure. With One AC, you will still find yourself doing energy management to keep from tripping breakers, especially in cold weather when you wan to run electric space heaters instead of using your propane. 100A of available power always trumps 30A any way you slice it. If my converter ever fails, I will certainly upgrade my trailer to 50A service. I wish I had it now, I just don't want to spend the $$$ to upgrade it.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
electric/gas option water heaters are offered on 30amp travel trailers. My 24' Koala has 30 amp service and a gas/electric HW heater.

rockylarson wrote:
Go for the 50amp service and get the electric/gas option on the hot water heater, probably not offered with the 30amp.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi 2112,

If you make the modifications adding auxiliary power cords, you could power all of the devices at once provided there are enough shore power outlets to support three cords. If there is a 50 amp outlet at the campground, a breakout box will take care of that. In fact, I could add a 500 watt and a 750 watt electric heater to your loads, leaving the inverter powered outlet in reserve.

That said 50 amp does have attractions.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I cannot run A/C, elect water heater AND a hair dryer at the same time on a 30A service but I'm sure I could on 50A.
If I could have 50A I would.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi obgraham,

Actually it is fairly easy to make modifications use more than 30 amps in a 30 amp RV. One caveat, do not void your warranty on a brand new RV.

It just takes a little creative thinking. I've added two auxiliary shore power cords in addition to the oem 30 amp. I also have a "break out box" that allows me to connect all three cords at once to a 50 amp service. That gives me access to the equivalent of 65 amps. If I then add my inverter to the mix I have an additional 21 amps on a temporary basis that I can use for quite some time (at least two hours), assuming the battery bank is well charged.

I do agree that OEM 30 amp may be a bit "skinny" sometimes. However, I can survive nicely with almost full capacity on even 10 amps of shore power using my first auxiliary shore power cord. I do that by powering only the converter, and running the rest of the RV from the inverter.

The other auxiliary shore power cord powers the electric water heater.

obgraham wrote:
If your RV has 50 amp, you can always use 30 amp instead. But:
If your RV has 30 amp, you cannot use 50 amp service when available.

Agree with Pianotuna. We had 50 amp service in our fifth wheel (the previous owners had it upgraded from 30 amps by NuWa), we now have 30 amp service in our new Jayco WhiteHawk. You can go "over budget" on 50 amps, though not as easily as you might on 30 amps, especially if the DW packs the electric hair curlers, hair dryer and some hair gadget called a "chia", with two of the three gadgets plugged in! :B

I would say a Progressive Dynamics EMS with remote display is a good purchase for either electrical service, since the display shows the amp load in real time which would allow you to adjust and avoid those annoying "trips".........:C

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its all about PLAN Bs for us. We will use the 50A service when available with adapters. The pedestal 50AMP service connections always look alot better to use then the very well used 30AMP service connections.

I very seldom will trip a 30AMP service but have on a couple of occasions especially in the winter months and we are using a couple of portable oil filled electric heaters at the same time...

Always use additional extension cords plugged into the camp ground 20AMP service for high wattage items like the portable heaters, hair dryers, electric skillets, outside items etc..

having all of the 50A/30A/15-20A adapters on hand saves the day alot for us...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS