cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Generator

ssemalone
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking for the first time, wondering which Generator to try, I have a 2014 Forest River Microlite, 23 foot, 13,000 BTU AC, was thinking about renting one. Is the Honda EB3000C viable??
43 REPLIES 43

clev
Explorer
Explorer
Firefighter, if the system won't run, you must be losing prime. The pressure created by squeezing the bulb will push the fuel up hill. However an air leak in any part will stop the flow
'12 F-350 SD CC, SRW, LWB, 4X4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front hitch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
firefightersink wrote:
... Now I have Companion Honda 2000's. The fuel cells are small but they run my A/C and lights no problem all night. .

I run mine with a 5 gallon tank:

photo is a bad example of how to use the system though, because it won't keep the siphon going. I coil the extra hose around the top of the tank so the hose points down towards the generator. I set this out just for the photo show-n-tell

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
krobbe wrote:
The Honda EU7000is will run All of your RV loads without any issues.

Roger that, but most travel trailer people will find it impossible to haul around for RVing.

THey cost $4000.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JiminDenver wrote:
The EU3000is should be fine.

OP mentioned EB3000, not EU.

EB is a construction grade generator and will be loud as heck.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the smarter tools 2000 generators online through Costco. These have Yamaha engines and can be ran in parallel . Works great, has USB ports etc.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

TheGatherer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Boily 3600se or something like that, it's out back with a non-functioning inverter... so, I bought a used Honda 3000si in really good shape and though the weight is twice the Boily 75lb to Honda 140lb it's twice the generator... the problem is the weight, I built a 'rack' for a custom aluminum box I built on the 'old' TT and it made the tounge weight light until I emptied the box except the gen. (HF air compressor, gas can... etc.).. Now I'm extending the rear bumper on my new TT (Shasta Revere) about 2' and will mount my gen. box on it. The box is all aluminum and weighs about 30lbs the 'rack' will weigh 36lbs and the gen 140lbs.. I'm mounting the spare tire under the front of the TT so that will help a lot.. but... the first trip will tell...

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ssemalone wrote:
Is the Honda EB3000C viable??

It would probably do the trick, but those are really loud.

clev
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed a 6000 mile trip and here's a follow-up on the Champion 3100i. First, it only provides 25 amps, with a few amps lost while running through 30 ~ 40 feet of cable. For the 15k AC to run, EVERYTHING had to be off; water heater (sometimes we forgot), fridge (switch to gas), and no other appliance could be used. The converter/charger pulled 8 amps, and with the 15 from the ac, the gen was maxed out. Sometimes it would run great for about 5-10 minutes and then quit, just like it ran out of gas, but it would have a full tank. This continued for about 3 weeks, and then a search revealed others having the same problems. To fix it, I "T'd" into the fuel line to add an external tank and installed an inline, 12v, fuel pump. I ordered what I needed from Amazon, and had it delivered ahead to our next stop. I fabricated a power source for the pump by using a cigarette lighter plug, and plugged it into the generator; it provided power only when running. The difference was amazing; it ran smoother, quieter, stronger. I believe there is a delivery problem with the gravity fed carb. Anyway, worked great the last 2 weeks.
'12 F-350 SD CC, SRW, LWB, 4X4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, front hitch receiver, completely insulated, Pioneer speakers, King Ranch Package.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha 2400. It ran the 13.5 in my old trailer, but not on the new trailer.

I've had it for about 3 years, and have never needed it for the A/C. In hind site, I would have been better with a single 2000w and give up the A/C.

Come to think of it, I may try to sell.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I bought a Yamaha 2400 generator; At the time, it was the smallest, lightest, single generator that would run my air conditioner. (key words, single and light)
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

budgiedome
Explorer
Explorer
How quiet do you need? No neighbors for a 100 yards, then any open frame style. Less than $500 for a 3000 watt or better. Neighbors within 100 ft, then get one of the inverter generators, $800-1000. I have the champion 3100. It does not drown out conversations but I don't run it at all hours. Neighbors really close and you want to run it at all hours, then Honda eu3000is, $2000. Nobody will care that it is running. Get a good heavy duty cable and lock. For myself the cheaper inverter style are quiet enough since I don't run it at all hours. Weight is also a factor. If you need to move it around. Check the weight.

clev
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted on here previously about the problems that I"ve had with the Honda EU2000's. You can search and find those posts. After finding and clearing a clogged filter in the fuel tank, they became more reliable, but still hard starting, especially in cooler weather. With my disability, it was difficult to keep cranking on the cord, so I finally sold them. I bought the Champion 3100i with remote start. It retails for about $1200, but I got it delivered for $900 (that was cheaper than either of the 2000's). I haven't taken it camping yet, but have started it a few times to break it in, and hooked up my trailer w/15000 btu AC; it performs flawlessly. Starting is great; push the button on the remote and the choke sets automatically and starts. If it doesn't start the first time after a few seconds, it will wait 10 seconds and try it again. Should have bought this a long time agol

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a little quieter than a Honda, then don't run it anywhere near us. No generator is pleasant to hear in quiet surroundings.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
If it a little louder then the Honda, please please don't camp anywhere near us.