Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Timberens?

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
Timberen has two options:
Severe Service-Slide-In Camper Or Salt Spreader (single), 8,000lbs
Standard, 8,600lbs (numbers not reversed).

The Severe get stiffer very fast and contact even when empty. The standard are softer and compress more to reach max capacity.

My TC is under my trucks rating, 4,100 lbs, but when loaded and then insert the hitch extension, my boat tongue of 200lbs is sort of low.

I think the standard should be fine and I'd like the smooth ride when empty. However, the Severe service says slide in.

Your thoughts please.
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.
9 REPLIES 9

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have the second one and love them!!!! Smooth ride empty and loaded I like that when empty im running on stock springs. To change my ride I just adjust my ranchos 9000 stiff or soft. I have put a few thousand miles on my timbren's and will never switch, truckers have been using them for years.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

eagle777
Explorer
Explorer
on my 05 duramax had supersprings and hated the ride when empty. on the 2012 opted for the severe and when loaded they don't touch and the ride is better then the supersprings on or off..
jack
Manteca, ca

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I have the standard style also. Due to the mounting location inboard of the springs, they increased sway when engaged. I corrected this by using the bump stops they replaced on the overloads in addition to a pair Energy Suspension stops. Stable Loads are now an option.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
Had the second one on mine. Did not like the ride at all, very rough ride especially on the interstate going over bridges. Suspension shop added two leaf springs now the ride is great with the TC on a little rough with it off.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
My camper weight 5000 pds empty. I replace the airbags for stable loads and standard timbrens. The ride is now a lot better.
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
serpa4 wrote:
Timberen has two options:
Severe Service-Slide-In Camper Or Salt Spreader (single), 8,000lbs
Standard, 8,600lbs (numbers not reversed).

The Severe get stiffer very fast and contact even when empty. The standard are softer and compress more to reach max capacity.

My TC is under my trucks rating, 4,100 lbs, but when loaded and then insert the hitch extension, my boat tongue of 200lbs is sort of low.

I think the standard should be fine and I'd like the smooth ride when empty. However, the Severe service says slide in.

Your thoughts please.

I have the Severe Service Timbrens on my 2012 GMC, they DO NOT make contact when empty, I have about 3/4" gap. When loaded and my StableLoads engaged the Timbrens are just touching the axle. I do not have a harsh jarring ride, and probably could have got by with the standard duty, but I wanted to ensure I was covered while carrying the extra weight of a trailer.

Those images are also not actual representations of the two models, my severe service look like the second ones, they are just thicker than the standard.

You will be fine with either model on your DRW in my opinion, neither will touch when empty.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
I have the second one in the picture. They work great!
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

dokkema1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2nd one in the pic...they work great..much better then airbags...

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
I have the standard Timbrens on my truck and love them. Cushions the weight of the camper real well and offers a smooth ride down the road.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver