Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which truck to get?

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
I just retired after teaching for 32 years! I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB and right now pull it with my 2008 Mercedes ML350. I would like to do some longer out of state trips (Smokies, Badlands and on out to Glacier) in the next few years and know that I really need a truck. I don't want a huge one, but want enough to have confidence for mountains. Do I need a diesel? Transmission? Brakes?
Everyone has their personal favorite, but I am a widow and really want a reliable safe truck to pull my smaller (4500lbs) trailer.
Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I really do appreciate it! I am not in any hurry, knowing that I am not quick at making big purchase decisions.
And believe it or not, I really do pack lightly! I figure there are grocery stores and laundry mats. It is just myself and my little 10 lbs dog, Willow.
I never have more in my black tank than the couple gallons I use with some calgone and a little Clorox cleaner with bleach (that a member on here recommended), water tank empty, full LP tanks.
I just love my camper and am excited to try my first longer trip of 16 days, coming up in Michigan, end of September into October.
I have really come to respect all of your opinions on here and love that I can get so many ideas from experienced campers!
Thanks again!
Still trying to figure out how to resize a picture so I can include it in my signature!
Bev and Willow??

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
I've been VERY pleased with my F-150 Ecoboost. I've pulled the trailer in my signature about 13K miles, including mountain passes in Colorado. It is worlds above the Chevy with 5.3L that it replaced. The turbos kick in and it leisurely pulls grades that had the Chevy downshifting and revving up to 4K+ RPMs. Fuel economy is about 10 when towing, but is about 21 on the highway at 55-60.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax® 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine.
You'll appreciate the tow handling and engine braking through mountain passes. My next truck will be a 3500 Duramax. I prefer camping at higher elevations in the summer.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7 V8, TOW HAUL PACKAGE, (Make sure you tell the dealer you want REMOTE towing mirrors in the deal)

Comes with Tranny Oil cooler and Engine Oil cooler as well as Limited Slip Differential...And a back up camera!
2019---35M THOR Hurricane
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 6200 lb across the CAT scales 25 ft TT. I have an E-boost F-150 4x4 with the towing package.

It is a good match and we have towed in mountains and deserts. After 23,000 towing miles and an additional 40,000 day to day miles, I haven't have to replace the original tires and will have to replace the shocks.

Bigger is better but there is always a trade off between cost, maintenance and daily use.

While my rig combo works fine, anything bigger and I would recommend a bigger TV. Not for the power, but for the wear and tear.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bevteacher4 wrote:
Everyone has their personal favorite, but I am a widow and really want a reliable safe truck to pull my smaller (4500lbs) trailer.

My suggestion, 'cause I've been towing with one for years :W ... get yourself a low mileage, recent model Chevy Avalanche, 5.3L engine with either a 3.73 or 3.42 axle ratio, but avoid anything higher such as a 3.23. It's a 1/2 ton truck but with a much better ride due to the rear coil suspension, has a 130" wheelbase which is noticeably shorter than any crew cab truck so it's much easier to negotiate a trailer on to a campsite when the situation is "tight" yet is certainly long enough for towing any mid size travel trailer. My '05 Av runs a 3.42 axle ratio with the older wide ratio 4-spd transmission but newer ones feature a much more versatile narrow ratio 6-spd that is especially useful when towing, especially because they all have Tow/Haul. You'll also find the enclosed, weather tight, and lockable rear cargo compartment invaluable for carrying items you don't want in the trailer ... and truly versatile 1/2 ton truck! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
for towing 4500 lbs. my Tacoma is ideal. not a huge one, of course some folks will say you need a F550 to do what you want.
bumpy
F550... probably not enough truck.. you better be sure and move up to a Kenworth or a PeterBilt..
:B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Your trailer is within the towing capacity of a Colorado/Canyon with a diesel.

I think it would make a great combination, and provide efficiency when not towing.

no, I think the OP should get that F550. :s
bumpy

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer is within the towing capacity of a Colorado/Canyon with a diesel.

I think it would make a great combination, and provide efficiency when not towing.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Is THIS Your TT? If so, it doesn't weigh 4500 lbs, especially on a cross country trip with all your stuff in it.

Bumpyroad wrote:
GVWR of 6250 under tow limit of tacoma.
bumpy

GVWR is this case is irrelevant as there's no way one person is going to load so much cargo into a trailer with a factory UVW of just 4015 lbs and end up with a GVW anywhere near this trailer's GVWR of 6250 lbs. That said, the OP would be well advised to not be lulled into believing that anything less than a normally aspired V8 gasser is suitable for towing this trailer. An F150 V6 ECO would be fine if it otherwise appeals to her but she certainly doesn't need a diesel of any kind.

I also mentioned that the best way to determine it's weight would be to load it up and weigh it, but you didn't quote me on that. :H No one is trying to lull anyone into anything. The OP should use the opinions stated by everyone here to determine her own course of action. :R
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
4 wheel drive is not necessary unless you are traveling dirt roads. Most any of the 1/2 ton trucks would do the job. I pull my 24 ft. trailer with a Ford F-150 and it is great. Mine is an 8 cylinder. Ford pushes the 6 cylinder with eco-boost as being just as powerful, I am not so sure.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for an F250 with the 6.2 gas engine.

Other, smaller trucks can do it fine (F150 Ecoboost with HD Payload and Max Tow would be a good choice for a 1/2-ton truck), but it's always nice to have a bit more truck than you actually need.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 25' Coachman that pretty close to what you are towing. With my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel it handles it with ease and are perfectly suited for trailers of this size and weight. And would recommend looking and test driving one before pulling the trigger on an F150.

I know there are still a lot of misconceptions out there on diesels these days. If I pulled the diesel badges off my truck you would never know it was one. Diesels these days are very quite and do not have diesel exhaust smell of the old days.

For reference last year I averaged 14 mpg on a 4K mile trip towing the camper.

As far as configuration. If you never plan on towing in snow or off road a 2wd should do just fine.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer is not that heavy. Why not try to continue to use your current rig and just take it slow?

Pretty much any pickup truck will tow it better then your current rig though. I'd look into the F150 and other 1500. You don't need a diesel or 4x4 or 3/4 ton truck for that size trailer.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Your options are wide open with that trailer. My favorite half ton is a 3.5 Ecoboost F150, so I'd encourage you to take a look at them. Plenty of power and because it's boosted you get a relaxed experience. You could get by with a midsize truck but I think you'd find a half ton more enjoyable over long distances. I'm generally not a fan of half tons if you're trying to haul a larger trailer and family around but in your situation a heavy duty truck would be overkill unless you're planning on up-sizing later. Just my two cents.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB