Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which truck to get?

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
I just retired after teaching for 32 years! I have a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB and right now pull it with my 2008 Mercedes ML350. I would like to do some longer out of state trips (Smokies, Badlands and on out to Glacier) in the next few years and know that I really need a truck. I don't want a huge one, but want enough to have confidence for mountains. Do I need a diesel? Transmission? Brakes?
Everyone has their personal favorite, but I am a widow and really want a reliable safe truck to pull my smaller (4500lbs) trailer.
Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Is THIS Your TT? If so, it doesn't weigh 4500 lbs, especially on a cross country trip with all your stuff in it.

Bumpyroad wrote:
GVWR of 6250 under tow limit of tacoma.
bumpy

GVWR is this case is irrelevant as there's no way one person is going to load so much cargo into a trailer with a factory UVW of just 4015 lbs and end up with a GVW anywhere near this trailer's GVWR of 6250 lbs. That said, the OP would be well advised to not be lulled into believing that anything less than a normally aspired V8 gasser is suitable for towing this trailer. An F150 V6 ECO would be fine if it otherwise appeals to her but she certainly doesn't need a diesel of any kind.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Is THIS Your TT? If so, it doesn't weigh 4500 lbs, especially on a cross country trip with all your stuff in it.

Good luck!

GVWR of 6250 under tow limit of tacoma.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
for towing 4500 lbs. my Tacoma is ideal. not a huge one, of course some folks will say you need a F550 to do what you want.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

The OP says she's a widow so without knowing otherwise that suggests she'd be traveling on her own. With her trailer having a factory dry weight of 4015 lbs it likely weighs ~ 4300 lbs with a battery, propane tanks filled, some water in the tanks. Since allowing 700 lbs of cargo seems reasonable for just one adult that would bring the trailer's estimated gross weight to ~ 5000 lbs with an average gross tongue weight of ~ 650 lbs, both of which should be an easy task for any current gas aspirated 1/2 ton from the Big 3. If serious upgrades are part of her plan then I'd pay more attention to selecting the correct axle ratio rather than fuss over too much truck for her particular situation - i.e. just one adult person and a limited cargo load. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

To do this correctly, you should load it up and take it to a CAT Scale and weigh it. Tongue weight is important as it subtracts from your tow vehicle's payload, as does everything else loaded in the TV. I'm betting the tongue weight will be in the range of 600 - 800 lbs.

Please don't shop for a TV based on it's towing capacity. A diesel 1500 has limited payload capacity due to the heavy engine.

If it was me, I'd want a little overkill to drive around the country.

Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 23rb with a 1500 chev max tow package . i avrg 10 to 11 mpg.
It tows great on a Reese pro series hitch. Keep tires between 45 and 50 lbs. Keep an eye on tire wear. If you see them wearing in the centers,drop pressure to 45 lbs. You are well below the oem tire rating using stock c ply's. This combo tows equally well on an open windy hwy or a twisty back road. Im very happy and love the simple floorplan and large rear bath.
Pm me anytime.

Coffee_Grinder
Explorer
Explorer
I tow 6500 lbs. with a tundra and just went through Colorado with no effort. It comes with tow/haul and brake controller when you get towing package

Campersfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I too am a retired teacher and looking fora truck to pull a 25 foot camper. I too need something that can take on hills and mountains with ease. From what you are suggesting I should look at 150s with a towing package? I thought I would need at least a 250. I want gas not diesel. I need all recommendations on what trucks to look at what kind of power they need to have. Do I need a 4 wheel drive or a V8?

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes feeling confident in the up and down grades makes good diesel power just so reassuring. They really do haul in the ups, and can slow you down when you need it too.

Tow haul options with gas power are also a good option if you stay at that length of a rig, but stay near there for good performance.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out a new Ram ecodiesel for outstanding fuel economy buoth towing and non towing

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer is within the tow rating of pretty much any full size truck on the market if it only weighs 4,500 pounds. If that's the advertised dry weight it likely weighs more than 1,000 pounds over that.
You certainly don't need a diesel. Just about everything will have an automatic transmission. If it's got 5 or more speeds it should be just fine. Preferably with a tow/haul mode.
I've had excellent service from numerous GM trucks over the years. A GM 1500 or 2500 would work just fine. The 5.3L or 6.0L are both excellent reliable engines. Just get one new enough to have the 6 speed transmission. 2009 and up I think.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Any of today's 1/2 ton gas or diesel trucks would handle that tt with ease. Obviously something with forced induction (turbo charged) wouldn't suffer from power loss at higher mountain elevations, but none should struggle with that weight. Pick your favourite.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 31' fifthwheel, weight about 9000 lbs with a gas, 2500 Dodge. I have a long bed, but if I could have gotten a short, regular size bed, that would have been better. My opinion, only, for no worry and maybe anot upgrade later, a 250 or 2500 gas, at least an extended cab, short bed with trailer towing package will be more than sufficient. With all the new weight changes a 150 or 1500 might do.
Personally, I like gas for the lighter trailers.

Have fun, good luck and congrats on your retirement. 32 years ofcteaching...you earned it.