cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whitening yellowed plastic - an easy solution

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
Saw some previous posts here about yellowed outside plastic fan/vent covers etc and various solutions to make them white again. Most solutions involved painting or replacing. This past week I noticed the shower pan in my TC was noticeably yellowed and clearly showed where a manufacturers sticker had been on the plastic at one time as it was much whiter than the rest of the plastic. There were several yellowed areas that appeared to have been exposed to more light than other areas at one time also. It bugged me so I looked for a solution since the yellowing couldn't be cleaned or scrubbed away. A quick google search brought up the topic of 'retro bright' but that seemed difficult to obtain all the ingredients to make the stuff. Then I stumbled on a Youtube video of a guy using this stuff https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31JjAWcFgIL.jpg (don't know how to make link hot or if its allowed) and a UV bulb. The results were dramatic. So I ordered a bottle of this stuff and a 5 watt LED UV bulb and put the Salon Care 40 on half of my yellowed shower pan. Hung the bulb over it overnight and looked at it this morning. The difference was incredible. The treated half looked brand new. I now have the other half going as I type this but I thought I would share here. I have found numerous videos and internet posts about this method since I started. There are some detailed posts explaining the chemistry going on here and the yellowing is caused by bromine in the plastic manufacturing process etc...but all I know is it works. People are using this to restore old computer cases, game system consoles and expensive tennis shoe soles?? Might be helpful to others here.
2017 Ford F450 XLT CC 6.7 4X4 Dually
2017 Arctic Fox 32-5m Fifth Wheel
15 REPLIES 15

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Krylon Fusion for exterior trim. Probably not for the shower pan.
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
blueglide wrote:
It's not actually bleaching the plastic. There's a detailed explanation on one of the sites I was on that explained the scientific process taking place. It's not a bleaching process but something about bromine stabilization....somebody with a chemical engineering degree would probably be able to interpret and explain! :@:B

Or, the scientific mumbo-jumbo is just a long way of saying that it is bleaching the plastic to make it sound like you're not bleaching the plastic.

Or, it could be another load of unproveable BS.

We're a cynical bunch aren't we!! ;);) All I know is my shower pan was yellowed despite never having been used. It was not removeable or replaceable so those options were off the table. I was unable to whiten the plastic using Greased Lightening, Soft Scrub, household laundry bleach, or store bought hydrogen peroxide. This method worked great and my shower now looks brand new. Finished the second half last night. Wish I had thought to take before and after pics. I don't do much without researching it first....I would suggest anyone considering this research it and make an informed decision based on what you find out. I'm a happy believer now.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
blueglide wrote:
It's not actually bleaching the plastic. There's a detailed explanation on one of the sites I was on that explained the scientific process taking place. It's not a bleaching process but something about bromine stabilization....somebody with a chemical engineering degree would probably be able to interpret and explain! :@:B

Or, the scientific mumbo-jumbo is just a long way of saying that it is bleaching the plastic to make it sound like you're not bleaching the plastic.

Or, it could be another load of unproveable BS.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option that has worked well for us on our RV is this stuff: https://www.crownspraypower.com/

It has whitened up the yellowed plastic on our stove vent and around the door windows. It also is the best stuff I have found so far to get rid of the black streaks on the RV. I'll plan on using it on our TC once we have one.:B
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Awesome worked well for me and is only a $1.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I too was going this route to try and clean up my yellowed 3 year old range vent that looked like it was 20. Instead I replaced it with a quality range vent that works better, looks better and is "guaranteed" not to yellow. Oh, in case your rig can go that fast, it is wind tested to withstand 190 mph!

Endura vent
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

blueglide
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I can't say bleaching with hydrogen peroxide sounds like a good idea for long term durability. The parts aren't that expensive.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't say bleaching with hydrogen peroxide sounds like a good idea for long term durability. The parts aren't that expensive.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like it works well. Before I tried that I think I would try spending $1.00 at Dollar Tree or the 99 cent store for some L.A. Totally Awesome. It usually gets rid of the yellow. If that didn't work then I would try the above. Thanks for the tip.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
interesting
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
blueglide wrote:
Snowman9000 wrote:
Neat!

This appears to be the video

This is the product

Thats the one..Thanks!
. Thanks for the tip and link. Next trip to my daughters, I'm going to try this on her "hazy" headlights. Worth a try.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon has everything!
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! :C