cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who actually enjoys towing?

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Me personally, I really enjoy that part of a trip. I like to hear my truck work, and I have a standard, so that makes it more of an interactive experience. I canโ€™t stop fiddling with things, so every trip I think about something new I want to try, or something to add to the truck. I just added an EGT and boost gauge and new tires to my truck, so this trip will be about what temps I am actually running, and to see how the new tires do; maybe before my next trip I will install a tuner.

So for those of you that enjoy that part of a trip, what do you enjoy most?
58 REPLIES 58

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I enjoy the drive when going from one stop of several days to another.
We've had several 500 plus mile days in sucession on this trip just to cover ground to get out west that tired me but were worth it. Coming back from AZ on I10 thru TX's 880 miles in 2 days wore me out. Hill country was pretty though.
Puma 30RKSS

I was in the group that loved everything about the travel, now not so much..

The driving part is fine, and I really do love it but not all of it.

I have seen a big spike in traffic, and now I find myself sitting in traffic a lot more than in years past..

For example, I travel from PA to Charlotte every year, I enjoy the entire trip, UNTIL I get to the edge of the city, where I SIT in traffic. I usually plan ahead to avoid rush hour, but that is not always possible.

Does that mean i am becoming a grumpy old driver..:h
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving/towing relaxes me! I look forward to it just as much as the destination!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly I do but there are times when the drivers are nuts cutting me off in stop n go traffic that it can be annoying. Looking forward to upgrading to a fiver, supposedly tows better than a TT and I want a king bed....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I relate to the older now and 4-5 hours max crowd. Towing is stressful at times. I find early mornings are best for mountain pass travel and more enjoyable if less of a tight schedule. Through Seattle, Portland ,LA never fun as I am always on high alert. Timing - express lanes etc. - is everything. I often see older class c rigs broken down on steep grades and envy the carefree attitude it must take to run ancient gear over those roads. These same grades have burn marks in the pavement every few miles from semi tractor fires. So I guess the answer is depends where and when Iโ€™m towing.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love to tow and just plain drive in the country. The city, no.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the roominess of a Class A. My truck gets cramped real quick. I like sitting higher to better see traffic.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on wher Iโ€™m headed.... if we are headed south, down the east coast, I need to get through the NYC - NJ area.... thatโ€™s a non-forgiving combination of roadways, where EVERYONE is in a big hurry, and could care less if they cut you off, block a lane change, or some other nonsense. Once Iโ€™m beyond that area, on the open road, itโ€™s no problem, and I enjoy the drive...
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
I always look forward to towing, especially now with my new to me truck. The first trip was a success and I can't wait till the next one.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Nah, love motorcycling, but towing is a chore to be done until we get where we're going. Kind of like driving a car, just another chore.

For me towing is a pleasure.....but I do find it kind of hard to stay awake sometimes. Riding a motorcycle, especially in the mountains, is a whole different kind of enjoyment... I have yet to get sleepy on the bike.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
I/we love towing a TT or towing our 5th wheel with or without the boat behind, or driving the crew cab long bed truck with our big Lance TC on the back with or without the boat behind.

What I/we don't enjoy is driving a big box like our big Allegro MH's we'd had in the past and even less yet if towing a car behind it. So a Class A will definitely not ever be in our future again.

Our 53rd year of RV'ing.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe it's an age thing but I don't enjoy it as much s I once did. There was a time when I could go on for days and it never got old.
Now, I like short trips of 3 hours or less.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was happiest when we hooked up and it the road on another adventure. On my own now and at the price of fuel probably won't get out much anymore.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Count me as one who really enjoys towing.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I enjoy the tow up to about 5 hours. After that it becomes too much of a mission and less relaxing.
I don't enjoy it enough to tow 7-10 hour stretches.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide