cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Hemi Going Away

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
So here's the official reason why Stellantis is ditching the Hemi. To add injury to insult the Hemi is a cash cow for Tesla.

Link

Link 2
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
55 REPLIES 55

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
free radical wrote:
My next car will be Tesla so dont need to buy expensive gasoline and breathe poisonous exhaust fumes.

While that may be true for some parts of the world, like Canada with a huge percentage of its electricity produced by hydroelectric, it’s certainly not true of our neighbours to the south.

In the US 65% of all electricity is generated by burning coal, natural gas or oil.

Something to think about when using fossil fuel to generate electricity for EVs compared to burning fuel in a bunch of places that are moving around;
I sometimes moved a portable crushing plant. If they could, they would power the plant off grid, but had a big generator, powered by 3406E Cat. When I asked about the little 50 gallon fuel tank, was told running 10 hour days, just fill it start of shift. The 3406E in my Pete, or the 1 in my Ford, work it 10 hours, expect to burn 80 gallons.
I'm not smart, but I know it is impossible to be sure most car owner will maintain there vehicle to keep emission levels right. Bell, some on this site brag about modifying emission systems for more power. Keeping the single point of combustion working most efficiently, and therefore profitability would be easier.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Unfortunate since even the base model SRT8 engine yields 20-21mpg at 90mph on the freeway. And it’s simple as pie. No clutter, nothing hidden, easy to work on and reliable as a Swiss watch.
Wonder how much better mpgs the Ho Hurricane is?

My son's friend has a TRX, a Challenger and two Durango's all HellCat's. Smart guy, he will never loose a single cent and probably make money.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
free radical wrote:
My next car will be Tesla so dont need to buy expensive gasoline and breathe poisonous exhaust fumes.

While that may be true for some parts of the world, like Canada with a huge percentage of its electricity produced by hydroelectric, it’s certainly not true of our neighbours to the south.

In the US 65% of all electricity is generated by burning coal, natural gas or oil.

And I burn my garbage in the back yard just to make free rad shed a virtual tear! Lol

In a used 55 gallon EVIL oil barrel I hope.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
free radical wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:

Ok. But can’t Stellantis just make some cars that generate the same compliance credits and buy them from themselves? Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world. Wouldn’t it make sense for Stellantis to make some and get the credits?

That's exactly why the Hemi is going away- to help increase the CAFE numbers so that Stellantis (or whomever owns Chrysler this week) doesn't have to pay for the carbon credits. It will be interesting to see if Tesla continues to be profitable after they are no longer selling carbon credits. I imagine they will, since they were able to leverage the profits from selling the credits to accelerate R&D of models like the Y.

I kind of agree with StonedPanther on the general silliness of compliance credits- nothing but an environmental shell game. Kind of like destroying a wetland area but "creating" another wetland 50 miles away to make up for it.

I dont care to get into argument about enviroment,but right now theres about 150 forest fires burning in Canada due to very dry hot weather sending smoke all the way to NYC making breathing very dificult.
Maybe its normal,maybe result of human created polution I dont know.
Anyhow

Maybe we need electric trains everywhere to reduce polution
This is how you Build Back Better 🙂

https://youtu.be/BCLuWr1iHok

OMG, stop crying…:

It's because the morons in the US and Canada let the fires get out of hand before they attack them plain and simple.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
free radical wrote:

In the NW we are KILLING SALMON using Hydro Power charging those "CLEAN" vehicles.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Unfortunate since even the base model SRT8 engine yields 20-21mpg at 90mph on the freeway. And it’s simple as pie. No clutter, nothing hidden, easy to work on and reliable as a Swiss watch.
Wonder how much better mpgs the Ho Hurricane is?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:
free radical wrote:

And I burn my garbage in the back yard just to make free rad shed a virtual tear! Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
free radical wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:

Ok. But can’t Stellantis just make some cars that generate the same compliance credits and buy them from themselves? Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world. Wouldn’t it make sense for Stellantis to make some and get the credits?

That's exactly why the Hemi is going away- to help increase the CAFE numbers so that Stellantis (or whomever owns Chrysler this week) doesn't have to pay for the carbon credits. It will be interesting to see if Tesla continues to be profitable after they are no longer selling carbon credits. I imagine they will, since they were able to leverage the profits from selling the credits to accelerate R&D of models like the Y.

I kind of agree with StonedPanther on the general silliness of compliance credits- nothing but an environmental shell game. Kind of like destroying a wetland area but "creating" another wetland 50 miles away to make up for it.

I dont care to get into argument about enviroment,but right now theres about 150 forest fires burning in Canada due to very dry hot weather sending smoke all the way to NYC making breathing very dificult.
Anyhow

OMG, stop crying…:

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plain and simple V8's are now EVIL!!!

Really sad as they made BIG bucks on those muscle cars.

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:

So you can buy expensive electricity, 79% of which is generated from either fossil fuel or nuclear power, instead of expensive gasoline. My electric generation rates per KWH have increased by @ 20% each of the last two quarters. My $175.00 monthly bill from last June is now up to $230.00 and I used about 25% less this period than last year, and they've petitioned the IURC here for another rate increase come September.
Good Luck with it. Another shell game.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey freeRAD here is interesting read on your comment. Enjoy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/joe-biden-s-electric-car-dream-is-a-lie/ar-AA19UtBK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=766047dae5654ce6da171ee70bded98d&ei=60

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:

Anyhow

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
StonedPanther wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Electric cars are the number one selling cars in the world.

What? In 2022 EV sales worldwide made up @ 14% of all car sales. In the US that number was somewhere a little north of 7%. Buying compliance credits from themselves makes no economic sense whatsoever One could argue that compliance credits in general make no sense whatsoever, no matter who is buying or selling them or mandating them to begin with.

Sure. But the number one selling car is electric. Not gas. The Tesla model Y dethroned the Toyota Corolla as the number one selling car this year. The rest is just production. As production ramp up. That takes time.

I can’t figure out the compliance credits either. I just don’t understand why they would buy them from another company when they could just generate their own by making electric vehicles. Weird.

Fwiw
Stelantis is begging Canadian Gov to lend/give em milions $ so it can build battery factory in Windsor Ontario.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
Reisander wrote:

Just another version of the gas guzzler tax in which manufacturers usually were willing to except for their showcase cars that were implemented to build excitement with the brand and were typically low volume.

In the case of the Hemi it sounds like Chrysler/Stellantis is having to pay millions for the credits since this engine is their primary powerplant.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"