cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wilderness camping and gun safety

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
When camping as the lone camper with miles of wilderness around, do you feel safer with a loaded firearm handy? Or is having the magazine ready to slide in a better option? Thank you for any thoughts. I need to learn as I start investing time/ money in gun safety. Please no politics. Thank you again
58 REPLIES 58

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Trekkar wrote:
What is a wheel gun?

Revolver
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on the fence about getting a pistol, having tried to obtain a license in a "may issue" state. I wonder if being in possession of a loaded pistol 24/7/365 might be introducing more risk into my life, not less. I have taken some training and have a concealed carry permit but just can't "pull the trigger" on a handgun. I did have one occasion to need a pistol when I was assaulted, but wasn't living in a free state at the time so was unarmed.

Now I can and will always have my loaded 12ga pump in the truck, though. BTW not a believer in having an empty chamber - it's a waste of time and easy way to get yourself killed.

If I had grown up as an LEO and more accustomed to full time carrying, no doubt I would be doing that.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
When camping as the lone camper with miles of wilderness around, do you feel safer with a loaded firearm handy? Or is having the magazine ready to slide in a better option? Thank you for any thoughts. I need to learn as I start investing time/ money in gun safety. Please no politics. Thank you again

I just keep bear spray handy.

Bears don't care if you wave an empty gun at them.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Nat park Junkie
If you want a carry license, a great place to start looking is USCCA
Their site is selling a membership, but the training button contains a lot of links to schools and licensed instructors.
And if you are not looking to concealed carry, but would like something for in the camper, consider a shotgun. a 20 gauge has mild recoil. but is still a very imposing to two legged varmints, and capable with the right loads on the 4 legged types. And every state allows them as standard hunting firearms. With a permit, you can even take them into Canada by getting a small game hunting license.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
NatParkJunkie wrote:
I haven't carried a firearm because I do a lot of cross country traveling across multiple states. My current keep a can of bear spray and the fire extinguisher right in side the door of the camper, and carry bear spray on hikes when in bear country.

If I wanted to get licensed and start carrying a firearm, what are the legal requirements to travel through multiple different states after getting licensed my my home state?

I've never been someplace out in the wilderness where I felt unsafe. The one time that I did have some concerns about some other people was overnighting in a walmart parking lot in town, and decided to pack up and move away from that area immediately even though I was tired and really didn't want to drive anymore.
Actually, now that I think about it, I had a black bear sniffing around about a foot away from my tent in Glacier National Park back in my tent camping days. That's what convinced me into hard sided truck camping life.

If you get a Pennsylvania license to carry, here are the states that have reciprocity: https://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

You should also be familiar with the interstate transportation of firearms code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

And here is a good overall guide: https://www.defensivestrategies.org/firearms-the-law/interstate-transportation-of-firearms

There are many places you can legally travel with a gun. However, depending on your trip, it just won't (legally) be an option. For example, I go to Canada a lot. Not a chance in hell that I'm bringing a gun with me there. Their country, their laws. I do carry bear spray with me when I camp there. In all actuality, bear spray is fantastic, and arguable just as/more effective than a gun in most instances.

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
covered wagon wrote:

Please tell me where you plan to camp alone with miles and miles of wilderness around? Give me an example, please.

How many of you who responded to the OP have EVER had to shoot an animal in when camping "with miles and miles of wilderness around"?

How many of you have EVER had to even get your firearm out in response to an animal?

I'd really like to know. No political agenda here at all whatsoever.

And in case you are wondering, I was an NRA instructor for many years (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Range Safety Officer) as well as a Federal Firearms Instructor for Backcountry Firearms Skills. I have attended Gunsite Academy. I worked in remote parts of Alaska for 23 years and carried a 12ga shotgun and a revolver during that time. Not once did I have to fire them for personal defense. I've camped in Alaska, Canada, Idaho, Washington, and Montana and in remote places.

I think you are far better off using bear spray than a firearm. I suggest you also buy one or more of the practice bear spray (inert) and learn how it disperses, how long it lasts, and how important being upwind is when you shoot it.

I've had to use my firearm twice in defense of myself and my family, only once pulling a trigger.

The first time I needed one, I was tent camping with my family in the woods, not on an established campground, and miles and miles of wilderness, with just ATV/jeep trails to get there. Some drunken rednecks in jeeps started doing donuts around our campsite and going in close circles around our tents. My children (young early elementary age at the time) were asleep in their tent. One of the jeeps started heading right toward the tent slowly, revving his engine, laughing. I don't believe he saw the tent, or maybe he did see it and just didn't know there were kids inside, or maybe he was a psychopath, I don't know. I waved my arms and yelled, and he didn't stop. I then pulled my gun and pointed it at the driver, and he immediately stopped, put it in reverse, and they all drove away. Thank god I had my gun with me and on my person. If I didn't, I shudder to think what would have happened. Thankfully I never had to pull the trigger.

The second time I needed my gun was at my house. It had just turned dark and I needed to get something out of my shed in my backyard. I walked out of my front door, around the house, and maybe 10-15 feet from me was a big black bear eating my trash. I immediately pulled my gun and started backing up, hoping to just quietly get back inside. However, he then got low and opened his mouth and growled. I fired one shot, he turned around and made it a few feet and fell dead. Turns out when he opened his mouth and growled, I shot him in the back of the throat through his open mouth. I'd love to say it was all skill, and although I do credit lots of reflexive shooting practice, it was much more luck. It took me forever to figure out how I killed him. No blood. No bullet holes (including no exit hole). It wasn't until I opened his mouth that I figured it out. And FYI, I built a trash enclosure after that, so bears have not been an issue since then.

I hope to god I never have to use a gun defensively again... But I've got it just in case, and always loaded if I'm carrying it.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Trekkar wrote:
What is a wheel gun?

A revolver aka with a round cylinder that holds the bullets instead of a clip..

Thanks for the information.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like revolvers. In remote country you want a caliber large enough to knock stuff down. Gun safety is important no matter where you are. People now seem to like to wave muzzles around. Don't do it.

Semi-autos are all the rage, but people forget about the round in the chamber when they remove clips. Many calibers are too puny. I like .44 mag for the back country.

Wilderness means no roads. You can't drive to it. That means walking, boats or horseback. Carry a revolver in a holster with a strap to keep it in place. Make sure the trigger is not exposed. Carry a revolver on an empty chamber. Smart people often have two empty chambers.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
NatParkJunkie wrote:

If I wanted to get licensed and start carrying a firearm, what are the legal requirements to travel through multiple different states after getting licensed my my home state?

Check with your state to which stated reciprocate with your state.

Some states don't honor any other state's permits.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Trekkar wrote:
What is a wheel gun?

:B
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Get some bear spray on Amazon :C

That's how you identify bear scat.

Smells like pepper and has tiny bells in it. LOL
Kenny

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't carried a firearm because I do a lot of cross country traveling across multiple states. My current keep a can of bear spray and the fire extinguisher right in side the door of the camper, and carry bear spray on hikes when in bear country.

I've never been someplace out in the wilderness where I felt unsafe. The one time that I did have some concerns about some other people was overnighting in a walmart parking lot in town, and decided to pack up and move away from that area immediately even though I was tired and really didn't want to drive anymore.
Actually, now that I think about it, I had a black bear sniffing around about a foot away from my tent in Glacier National Park back in my tent camping days. That's what convinced me into hard sided truck camping life.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Any weapon is as safe as the person handling it, daily carry 25+ years.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Bedlam
Like any tool in your box, you need to be proficient at using it and consider what the ramifications would be if you did not carry it with you. I have carried a fire extinguisher with me since I was teen but have never had to use one to put out a fire. I prefer to be prepared for the adverse instead of wishing I brought something along that is sitting at home which is probably why I drive a 5500 with plenty of storage, yet I still take an enclosed trailer with me at times.

Whether a weapon is carried or stored while chambered depends on its safety mechanism, your level of activity while carrying it and your exclusive access to it. I do not think anyone can make a blanket statement on YOUR best use.

Think about secure storage options that still allow for accessibility. You may even have more than one location based on what you wish to carry with you.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am ALWAYS armed, but when in the "forest" I carry a .357 Colt Python in a chest holster. Living in the "wilds" of Oregon on a ranch for a large part of my life, you learn that nature is a deadly teacher if you are not prepared. I don't worry about Bears and other preditors much, but a Bull Moose is the angryist animal that you will EVER run accross, and has no problem charging you and stomping you to oblivion for no reason at all.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP