cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winches..110 or 12V ???

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one used a 110 V winch on there truck as opposed to the 12 V. The 110s are cheaper and more powerful and I use the truck (for getting into trouble) with my camper on it that has a generator, so I could just plug it in... just wondering..any comments. Dave
23 REPLIES 23

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a Harbor Freight 12,000lb. winch on sale for about $300. I can't imagine finding a 110V winch with anywhere near the same capacity for a similar price.

If you're going to use it regularly, the Harbor Freight one is probably not the hot ticket but for occasional use, it will do just fine.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Hydraulic if you can afford it :).
The PTO drive gear, controller and wiring, driveshaft, hydraulic pump, mounting and hoses to connect to the winch are pretty expensive to set up. Hydraulic winches aren't cheap either.

For something that may only be used a handful of times, if at all, in the life of the truck, an electric winch would be far more cost effective.

Now if it was for a vocational tow truck, then yes, by all means, get a PTO powered hydraulic winch system, it'll last a lifetime and pay for itself quickly!

Who said anything about a PTO? I agree that would be really expensive. I would go with a Mile Marker winch or equivalent that is hydraulically powered off of the power steering pump. I think I heard that all of the military HumVees have this set up. That's way better than adding extra batteries and huge 12v cables. As long as the engine is running you can winch and don't have to worry about battery drain.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 12V winches are also designed to be out in the weather and can be used in wet conditions. Haven't seen 110V winch designed for those conditions. I wouldn't want to use a 110V winch in the pouring rain while standing in a mud puddle.

Minimum rating is 1-1/2 times the weight of the vehicle but this rating is for when you are getting axle deep stuck in mud. If you only need to get out when you lose traction, you can get by with less. This is my use and already had it sitting on the shelf from my jeeping days so I mounted a 9,000# warn to the front of my truck despite it's loaded weight of 10,000#. Figured better than nothing and with the block, should get me out of most places I'm willing to take my rig.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
The PTO drive gear, controller and wiring, driveshaft, hydraulic pump, mounting and hoses to connect to the winch are pretty expensive to set up. Hydraulic winches aren't cheap either.

For something that may only be used a handful of times, if at all, in the life of the truck, an electric winch would be far more cost effective.

Now if it was for a vocational tow truck, then yes, by all means, get a PTO powered hydraulic winch system, it'll last a lifetime and pay for itself quickly!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks... always thinking

Bedlam
If you're just looking for tool that will give you pull you out of a place where you cannot get traction, there some winches that could help you even if they were just receiver mounted. If you expect the winch to pull you out of a ditch or mud hole, you will have trouble finding a winch with the capacity you need and creating a mounting point that is strong enough to use without causing more damage.

I have a cheap brand high weight rated winch with two pulley blocks that mounts to my receiver. I have not had to use it for my own recovery, but it has dragged 12K lbs across dry pavement with all four wheels locked using double line pull. I expect my winch will last me a while since it is used infrequently, stored indoors and used at half its work load rating.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I was an avid Jeep'r for years, every rig I built had one or even two winches. I'm not aware of any 110v winch that would have the pulling power to pull out a truck hauling a TC.

General rule of thumb is to have at least twice the rated pull power of the rig you're putting it on. My jeeps all had 8,000lb minimum, even the ones where I put one in the front, and one in the rear - and even at that me or my crew would snap cables.

Remember - a winch is a piece of safety gear. If you're going to go someplace where you may ultimately need it, you need it because you're stuck and it's your last option to get you home. Cobbling something together because it's the cheapest option isn't likely to be your best option.

Now, I will say this --
If you need to save a buck, Smittybilt winches never once failed anyone in my crew. They're not as fast as a comparable Warn, but the big thing you need from a winch - we never had one fail.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't do 110V for outside unless you have to, but I would wonder about the watts required and duty cycle. It seems you'd want less things to go wrong if you needed it, and adding a generator is one more thing that could go wrong.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member