cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window AC in a Truck Camper?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not understanding the reasoning of the big power hungry air conditioners they put on truck campers!I have had the 13.5 and 11K on TC's I have owned and there noisy and require a lot of surge power to operate..Many a post on will the Honda 2K run this one or that one..

I am running a test right now with a 5K window unit in my TC and it draws less than 5 amps and 500 watts with my Honda 2K on eco and purring along..

95 outside right now and 71.6 inside with "direct sun lite" only set at 5.5 out of 8 on the AC cool mode...72 in the house with a heat pump AC.

So why don't they put window units in TC's like they do small trailers?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
44 REPLIES 44

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
MiniAdventures wrote:
Thanks. So, to use this for cooling/heating, I would
need the boot for a 'seal'; otherwise, I would just slide
the respective windows open to retrieve 'stuff' from the
back of the truck - kewl.

Yes..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

MiniAdventures
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. So, to use this for cooling/heating, I would
need the boot for a 'seal'; otherwise, I would just slide
the respective windows open to retrieve 'stuff' from the
back of the truck - kewl.
2005 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Hemi Quad 4x4 Timbrens
2005 Lance Lite 815 Extended Cab A/C
1994 Ranger R72 Bass Boat Johnson 115
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Custom
... you can never have enough toys ...

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took a picture to show you the room to access the back seat without a boot on the "Old '94" Ford.There is plenty for the dog and my wife to crawl through,not me..(laughing)..I need to put my seat down for more storage as it's filling up quick.

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

MiniAdventures
Explorer
Explorer
Thnx jaycocreek and Kayteg1 -
guess I need to think outside the 'boot'

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Superduty has rear window in 10x10 size, so only dogs can get through, but for me cooling on the road is main issue.
Often when we drive the camper is reaching 130-140F inside, so using it for lunch or bathroom stop gets pretty difficult.
When i set my truck AC to 72F and manually override fan to high, the camper gets comfortable with open passage.
That also saved one of our camping trips, when arriving at 124F campground - the generator died after 10 minutes of performance.
Running truck engine for AC for 5 hr let us sleep where nearest hotel was 100 miles away.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
MiniAdventures wrote:
Is the main function of the 'boot' to cool (or heat) the
TC while driving or do you younger folks/gymnasts actually have
room to crawl through while 'on the fly'?
(pics, please.)

The boot for my camper/truck will be mostly for access to the back seat of my truck for the dog or to store extra stuff or groceries..Heating and cooling would be just a perk for having one in intense cold or heat..

I use the access all the time now without a boot..A TC can always use extra storage and the slider gives that.A boot is just a plus especially for heating and cooling.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

MiniAdventures
Explorer
Explorer
Is the main function of the 'boot' to cool (or heat) the
TC while driving or do you younger folks/gymnasts actually have
room to crawl through while 'on the fly'?
(pics, please.)

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it does. Right now at 9 PM it is only 98F.
This morning at 7 am it cooled down to 89
We have storm front this week and the smoke from California is blocking some sunshine.
But looks like 2nd summer in Vegas my body adapted.
This afternoon I was able to work 20 minutes on my camper (new coat on rubber roof) and at 108 F I was fine having some shade.
Almost killed the dog who went with me and I ignored his barking at the house door.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1, it doesn't cool at night in your area?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last time my weather station registered 85F was one of those freezing June mornings 😉
I have inflatable boot from Walmart. Cheap enough, but it is the same size around, when my gap has 3" taper, so next time I will cut 3" of foam and attach it to truck window with dual sided tape.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Now try to simulate real life by leaving AC off till 2-3 PM and start it then checking when you'd be comfortable to enter.

I don't start the AC until it is between 80-85 out which is where normally I would want to use it..I am working on trying to get a boot setup between the cab and camper for heat and cold air from the cab to camper..My truck slider is perfectly lined up with the camper slider with an 18" opening which should let the camper take in some of the heat or AC while driving.

Boots that work and don't scratch up the paint are hard to find so I guess something home made is probably in order.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now try to simulate real life by leaving AC off till 2-3 PM and start it then checking when you'd be comfortable to enter.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little update..We don't usually get as hot as it has been for the last couple days so it was a real test for the little 5K window unit in my 9.6 foot camper.

It appears it has a 30 degree max difference..At 106 degrees outside the inside rose to 76 degrees and rose one degree with the heat from 101 degrees@ 71 inside at each number...

Maybe a 6K unit for them really hot days is in order..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

MiniAdventures
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
Our Adventurer 80RB had an 8,500 btu unit and our Honda EU2000i had no trouble running it.

Sounds good - Thanks!