cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Battery Maintenance

ddottney
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new travel trailer in late October and have yet to use it. It was winterized by the dealer and he suggested I unhook the battery and keep it inside. I assume eventually the battery will run out of juice. Should I be charging the battery periodically or can I wait til April camping season here in Ohio? Or doesn't it matter?
23 REPLIES 23

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
I take mine off for the winter and throw a battery tender on them.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dad and I both store our trailers in my shop. He likes to use the disconnect switch and then put a battery charger on the batteries, it keeps them topped off. I don't use the disconnect switch, but instead just connect to shore power and let the intelligent converter maintain the batteries.

It does not seem to matter which way, both work. I would have some sort of charging plan to keep battery from dropping too low, whether that is periodic charging or trickle charger or ?? but two things will kill a battery fast, letting it get discharged too much and over charging/boiling (ok, there are more than two, but those are my top two issues).

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my batteries connected and the RV plugged in year 'round.
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's now February. How's the battery doing?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my batteries drops below 12.0VDC which is approximately 50% charge state I will re-charge them. I usually leave my battery bank connected but the trailer is plugged in to my 120VAC 20AMP service coming from my garage during the winter months. Using my smart mode CONVERTER/CHARGER almost takes cares of the batteries automatically. I will however check the Battery voltages and look for boiling out of fluids.

My batteries will drop below 12.0VDC in a short time being drained by the parasitic items in the trailer if not connected to shore power.

It has been my experience that if the BATTERY drops below 50% charge and not be re-charged right away to at least 90% charge state then it will not perform as expected. Continuing to be drained below the 50% charge state will eventually do harm to the battery and will have to be replaced.

Even if you pull your batteries they will will loose some charge. I would keep a close watch on the DC VOLTAGE levels measured at the terminals. ALot of folks will keep a small battery trickle charge or solar panel keeping the disconnected batteries up to par over the winter months.

Simple Battery Maintenance is must do thing here.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Charge it...maybe once a month.

...aside: and use your new trailer as soon as possible. You are burning through your warranty period by just letting it sit. There are always issues (a punch list) that will need dealer warranty attention with a new trailer.

and welcome to the Forum.

Couldn't agree more.

Will add, the reason to unhook the battery is also because there are parasitic drains on it and a battery will be out of juice within 2 weeks. If your batteries are still connected to your TT, you should get your batteries charged up pronto to make sure they last.
I love me some land yachting

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Charge it...maybe once a month.

...aside: and use your new trailer as soon as possible. You are burning through your warranty period by just letting it sit. There are always issues (a punch list) that will need dealer warranty attention with a new trailer.

and welcome to the Forum.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I place mine in the basement for the winter and put it back on the trailer a few weeks before the first trip and let it charge. Some do charge it over the winter though. I never dry camp so I am not sure what the effect on the battery is, maybe I am killing it, not sure. Always interesting to hear what others do.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73