cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter road de-icer (salt?) corrosion on TC hardware

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled south through Salt Lake City in December during below freezing temps and rain/snow mix. Whatever they use to de-ice their highways was on the road pretty thick, and caused quite a bit of corrosion on the rear end of my TC's hardware.

Just a word of advice to avoid travel when you can at such times in areas where they use corrosive de-iced (I'm figuring salt since it is abundant there). If you HAVE to travel at such places and times, fresh water rinse thoroughly as soon as possible.

Washington state (home) uses a fairly non-corrosive de-Icer, so I did not expect such a significant and quick reaction by my metal parts/pieces/hardware/latches/etc.

This is a chance to learn from someone else's mid-adventure....
23 REPLIES 23

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard it's good to park over a lawn sprinkler for awhile to help the trucks undersides.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
FreebirdFlies wrote:
Well, I did say "fairly" non-corrosive. All things are relative, and the Salt Lake City/Utah de-Icer results was way beyond what I have experienced on WA highways.

Not saying I'm an experienced expert. Just trying to give any folks out there with a brand new pride n joy rv/camper a heads up on what to expect and possibly avoid with prudent planning.....

Another reason for the post is I haven't seen this discussed on the forums. Maybe I just have missed it....?

Good advice, thanks for the heads up, especially for us anal retentive types. 🙂
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just drove US 80 over Donner in CA. Apparently they are using saline now. It was raining hard causing the road surface to become frothy (like seafoam). Just finished doing a complete scurb down and cleaning to try and get that crud off.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado uses a magchloride mix. The state says it is non corrosive, but I have a friend that works for a local city. Since magchloride use started, their signs and street lights have begun to rust.

Anytime you drive in winter weather you should rinse off your gear.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

32_Chev
Explorer
Explorer
I know that Idaho uses salt and salt brine, eastern Washington use salt.
2007 dodge Ram 3500 Drw 6.7 Cummins,6 speed auto, exhaust brake, Okanagan 116,Air, Onan genset, accumulator tank, fastguns, too much fun stuff.

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I did say "fairly" non-corrosive. All things are relative, and the Salt Lake City/Utah de-Icer results was way beyond what I have experienced on WA highways.

Not saying I'm an experienced expert. Just trying to give any folks out there with a brand new pride n joy rv/camper a heads up on what to expect and possibly avoid with prudent planning.....

Another reason for the post is I haven't seen this discussed on the forums. Maybe I just have missed it....?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was going to mention that you shouldn't trust the WA deicer either, but Bedlam beat me to it. I wonder if Sharkhide would work for the metal parts ... hmmm. For those of you not familiar with it. http://www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html It's commonly used for those who boat in saltwater with aluminum boats.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
My Arctic Fox shows the signs of WA deicer that is supposed to be non-corrosive. It has ruined my desire to go skiing because of junk that gets sprayed down in the name of highway safety. I used to go weekly up to the slopes with my TC and this year will probably end up going only twice.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you have no experience with boating on salt waters?
Anything not tipple-chromed will corrode next day after contact with salt.
Washing right after is the best you can do and protective coat of wax will help.
Speedy protection is Formula 303, but that will wash away if you drive in rain.