cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless air bag controls - reliable?

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm considering getting wireless controls for my onboard air for my air suspension and overloads just to help unclutter my dash.
My only question is: how reliable are they? Are they one of those things that are great when they work but tend to **** out? I've read a lot of reviews that say that, but in these days where people get paid to write reviews for things they've never seen, I only trust people that actually have and use the stuff.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
16 REPLIES 16

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not make my point clear.
In my application I run the tubings via back vent and hid them under door sill.
Having gauges manifold on the floor, next to the seat, I had about 2 feet of tubings inside the cabin (on supercab)
Obviously my application started with idea of having portable compressor for multi-use and I was adjusting the bags before the drive as doing it on the fly would be a bit inconvenient.
This way I had no electrical components outside the cabin and whole fill up system was installed in 10 or 15 minutes.
Some people will like it this way, some the other, but the portable compressor idea worked very well for me.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think if I go wireless I'll still put a manual switch and air bleed valves somewhere in the system just so I can operate if the batteries are dead in the remote.
I'm really not crazy about all the air line tubing running up to the dash especially since the truck is pretty much riding on it, I have air ride and air overload bags. But that's personal choice, what I wanted to know was if the wireless setup is reliable and it sounds like it is.
When winter is over I think I'll put in an air tank and solenoids and set mine up so I can easily inflate a tire on the road if I need to. The overloads and the air ride each have their own compressor, it also seems a few valves would give me the option to use either for both systems, redundancy and options are good.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run my tubings via vent holes on the back of the cabin.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
I can't imagine how mounting wireless system on the frame and tapping to ignition electrical system is easier than running 2 tubings inside the cabin?

It's easier because I didn't have to drill a hole in the firewall of my new truck, nor did I have to drill holes in the plastic dash to mount a bracket to hold switches and gauges.

Mounting the wireless compressor is no different than mounting the non wireless compressor.

Mine isn't mounted to the frame, it's mounting on top on the fender liner on my dually wheel well, totally protected from weather.

The wireless system makes for a much cleaner install
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine how mounting wireless system on the frame and tapping to ignition electrical system is easier than running 2 tubings inside the cabin?

I installed my controls on the side of the seat, so when I loaded the truck heavy and open the door, the fill up gauges were right in front of me.
I made my compressor portable with lighter plug on it and tire chuck on the hose, so it was portable and worked great on tire inflation even on my trailer.
I am trying to avoid what IMHO is "remote crazy" trend as Murphy law says the batteries or other component will always fail in least desirable moment.
To my disbelieve, my inflatable bed come with wireless controller, when mounted pump has hardwired switch 10 inches from my head.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Ok thanks for the real-world reports. Part of me doesn't want to keep adding more electronic points of potential failure (I feel bad enough that my Dodge isn't the simple & reliable old 12 valve) but that Air Lift wireless setup sure looks nice and would clean things off my dash.
And I think less air hoses running all over the place has a potential reliability advantage too.

When I first had air bags, I had only the valve stems to air up the bags and used a tire pressure gauge.

Then I started hauling my own domestic water every other day or so. I got the dash-mount controls and had to run tubing from the compressor mounted on the frame up to the dash. Kind of a pain to do.

I had the compressor and manifold fail twice over the years and Air Lift offered me a deal on the wireless system for my troubles.

I've had it ever since and very happy with it. No tubing to run to the dash!

I adjust my air bag pressure all the time when carrying the TC. And like DWeikert says, the 5 PSI minimum is maintained automagically by the system to keep the air bags from getting damaged.

The wireless system will go into my new Tundra.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people who have them seem to like them, but at the same time, most people who spend extra money on nice to haves tend to like them. For myself, I haven't had the need to adjust my pressure, so it wouldn't be worth it to me.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other advantage is it keeps the bags inflated to the minimum 5 lbs. Whether due to temperature, barometric pressure, or a slow leak, if you turn the key and the bags have less than 5 lbs, or whatever you have then programmed for, the compressor will bring the pressure up, or down if need be.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok thanks for the real-world reports. Part of me doesn't want to keep adding more electronic points of potential failure (I feel bad enough that my Dodge isn't the simple & reliable old 12 valve) but that Air Lift wireless setup sure looks nice and would clean things off my dash.
And I think less air hoses running all over the place has a potential reliability advantage too.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I installed and have used my Airlift wireless pump & controller for at least 5 years now and haven't had any problems.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Aside from the fact that I wish I wouldn't ahve wasted the money on airbags and compressor (because the Stableloads are more effective for my rig) I love my wireless setup.

I went that route because it drastically simplified the installation since I didn't have to route hoses and gauges in the cab.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I love my wireless controller for my air bags. I can adjust on-the-fly as road conditions change. Even a crowned secondary road; more air in the right side bag to help level, then back to normal as I get back on interstates. I can also use it to do a final level of the camper once I've done the rough leveling. Sometimes it's all I need.

I got mine off Amazon who regularly lists 'used' ones. Mine was a so called used but all it was is that the packaging was scraped a bit. Then Air Lift had a $75 rebate. Ended up paying around $200 total. I installed all my parts in a plastic tool box from Walmart and mounted up under my receiver hitch.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Air Lift 72000 Wireless Air on my truck as well. Had it since they first came out. I will transfer it all (except air bags) to my next truck. A wonderful setup.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
4 yaars and no problems here.
Bob