cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X Chock or Fastway One step Chock

pmfinnegan2
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to be purchasing one of these to help with stabilization and rocking of my TT. I have the wide spread axels on my TT so I already know I have to get the extended versions of these.

My question is, which do you feel is better for stabilization and to reduce the rocking of my TT.

If they are about equal there sure is a large difference in price between the two.

Thoughts?
pmfinnegan2
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
5.3L Vortec V8, 4X4
2018 Jayco JayFlight 29BHDB
Equal-i-zer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller
7 REPLIES 7

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I have both.

I bought the X Chocks first. Yes they work. But I was getting tired of the time it took to put them on and take them off. Plus you have to chock the tires so they don't roll. Read the X Chock manual, it is not designed to stop the trailer from rolling down a hill - you need regular wheel chocks for that. Then you put the X Chocks on.

I bought the Fastway chocks because they perform both functions: chock the wheels for safety, and lock the wheels from moving back and forth. Plus they are EASY to deploy. A bit pricey, but they are solid well built items.

Note: to stop the up and down bouncing on my 29ft. TT I put a 3rd pair of scissor jacks in front of the TT axles. No more bouncing or rocking.

Ed

danager
Explorer
Explorer
X-chocks here, happy with the result. I have a couple of the large rubber 2-sided chocks to go between the tires as well.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
These chocks do nothing (much) for vertical movement so I remain a skeptic. I have the BAL X-chock and it works as designed ... to stop movement in the horizontal plane, so it is good for stabiization in that plane. Bouncing up/down can only be mitigated by vertical supports.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
I like them both. I use the X chocks at camp sites to really stop wheel and TT movement. I use the Fastway in the driveway for a quick chock.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the anderson one step. I like them because they stay tight after the tires cool and are a chock.

With the X Chocks you still have to chock the tire.

Linc

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I made these from scraps of 2 X 4, some threaded rod, washers and nuts. Its very easy to do, and they work very well. The picture shows large wing nuts on the chocks. That didn't work out as well as I had hoped. I could not get them as tight as I wanted so I switched them out for hex nuts. Tightening the nuts with a wrench works better.

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc423/kraigman/Camper%20Modifications/th_wheelchock001.jpg

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the wide stance and we're adding chocks for the same reason as you. But we're making ours. They should be complete this evening as we're leaving Saturday for our spring break vacation. They really are simple to make. We had almost all of the materials around the house. We only had to buy bolts and washers. But even if we didn't have all the supplies at our fingertips the cost would be incredibly cheaper than purchasing the chocks. I also think they look more stable.

If you're interested in this route - search on homemade chocks. Directions are there.