cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yay! No more commercial registration fees!

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
I finally did it! I went to the Automobile club to pick up my new personalized plates for Calvin the truck and while I was there, because it's registration is due in June, I completed the process to convert the registration from commercial to "permanently mounted camper." and now my truck as a "PM" designation with an automobile plate. I saved almost a full one half of the registration by eliminating the annual weight fee by doing this! I have never and do not intend to ever use my truck for hauling or any other purpose other than the camper, so I was actually telling the truth to the clerk when I filled out the paperwork. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992
6 REPLIES 6

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Dak, did DMV inspect the truck or just paper work?
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Here on the East Coast, the tolls are cut in half also, by doing the "PM" designation.

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
they charge me an extra $16.00 a year. they said i can get the truck reweighed but i have never gotten around to it.
oh well...good to see someone got a break on the fees at least.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
the tc life wrote:
interesting. my camper set up is pretty much permanent also. although I do have it so it will come off in the case of a emergency. the truck for it is for the camper. I have another truck for other stuff.
here in Washington I don't think I could get around the licensing with the set up because campers are licensed too in my state. it would be nice to NOT have to pay for the commercial fees on my truck (yes, its considered a commercial truck) but it is more of a pain to go through the process than pay the extra money.

I'm sort of wondering if you're paying tonnage fee's, etc, because you're not commercial, unless you use the truck for 'commerce' somewhere along the line. 46.25.010 for definitions.

On my work 550, I pay tonnage, to 34,000. On our camper hauler, 550 also, I pay squat for tonnage. It's just another vehicle. No scales (all RV's are exempt), no tonnage, not commercial. WA isn't CA (thank God), but maybe you can save a little coin there.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My 1986 crewcab dually had a campershell bolted to the bed rails. The original owner was able to get it registered with non-commercial plates. It was great paying auto tag fees vs the commercial fees. I didn't know the CA. DMV still had the PM designation. I will have to look into it for my current truck since I only use it to tow our 5th wheel.

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
interesting. my camper set up is pretty much permanent also. although I do have it so it will come off in the case of a emergency. the truck for it is for the camper. I have another truck for other stuff.
here in Washington I don't think I could get around the licensing with the set up because campers are licensed too in my state. it would be nice to NOT have to pay for the commercial fees on my truck (yes, its considered a commercial truck) but it is more of a pain to go through the process than pay the extra money.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE