cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yose guys lied to me !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
When ST tires are spoken of it always comes up that they have a speed rating of 65 MPH . The tires that I am looking at have a speed rating of 106 MPH .Carlisle st 205 75 15 .
If I had them last summer when I went to Maine I could have got there twice as fast !
Many , many everyday ST tires have a speed rating in the 80 MPH range ,look it up !
If you see a Ram truck with a 26 foot trailer going a 100 MPH it will be me !
83 REPLIES 83

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
I do not know how to paste a web site up here to make it easy , I have found two ST tires with 106 MPH ratings , and many , many with more than 65 MPH .

Go to your website with the ST 106 MPH rating
Copy the url (www.XXXXX) in the address bar of website
Open the RV.NET 'advance post' then click on the LINK Icon (small box with World and chain link)
Paste the copied url into the popup box.

Then we ALL can check out those high speed ST tires

OR

IF that is too complicated
Just copy/paste url address in your next post and someone will make a clicky out of it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not know how to paste a web site up here to make it easy , I have found two ST tires with 106 MPH ratings , and many , many with more than 65 MPH .

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm going to get me some of those "N" rated tires, then I can get to the camping area so much faster.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
And here's the rest of the cut and paste from that same section. "How fast can I travel..." on the Carlstar website:

Please remember that speed ratings are test speeds and not recommended driving speeds. The ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not a particular vehicle. The speed rating does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

We recommend driving no more than 60 mph when towing a trailer. Please always drive at a safe speed and abide by the posted speed limit.

I wonder if that same FAQ has been distributed to the Bassmaster Tour group. If they tow their trailers anywhere close to how they drive their boats, Carlisle was probably replacing a lot of tires. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a quote from the official Carlisle website FAQ.

How fast can I travel on Carlisle trailer tires?

In the past, most trailer tires were rated at 62 or 65 mph. Today, some of our tires are "rated" (speed symbols) at 87 mph (N), some at 75 mph (L), some at 65 mph (J: ST tires) and some at 62 mph (J: non-metric tires).

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
The point of the thread has nothing to do with how fast you should tow your trailer or what is safe to do with your trailer. The point is that many folks insist there are no, none, nada ST tires with a speed rating over 65 MPH. That's not true. It doesn't matter what the myths or "common knowledge" says, there are in fact ST tires rated by the manufacturer for speeds over 65 MPH.

Not all ST tires are used to tow a travel trailer. My boat trailer has ST tires and you can bet it goes over 65 MPH often.

It does appear that Amazon has a misprint on their listing for the Carlisle tires and the OP was aware of it but decided to post anyway. However, that doesn't alter the fact that some ST tires can be used at speeds in excess of 65 MPH. Anybody who makes the blanket statement (and many do, especially when making the LT arguement) that ST tires are limited to 65 MPH are just simply wrong.

Out of interest can you point out a link on a ST tire mfg website that shows an ST tire with a speed rating higher than 65? I believe you, but on every mfg website I've checked I can't find any info on ST tire speed ratings given by the mfg.

Or a picture of an ST tire that shows a speed rating other than 65mph.

Not that I travel more than 65 with our trailer, but a increased speed margin would be nice.

The link is on page 5

1) well, the amazon link with speed ratings is completely bogus. pick any rating you want and all the tires come up

but goodyear and towmax show 75mph speed ratings on the latest tire list.
2) Goodyear Marathon website and data shows the marathons having a 75 mph speed rating. the list the tires using the new rating notation of 3digits/letter with the 3 digits being the load rating and the Letter being speed rating. speed rating on all the marathons I checked was "L" which is 75mph BUT with a reduced service rating (load capacity) in one example 113@65, 108@75. Likewise with Towmax
3) Towmax is the same, "L" speed rating, similar change in load capacity.

I've emailed maxxis and carslie asking if they have any ST tires with speed rating greater than 65mph. once I get results I'll post.

so at least the latest marathons and towmax do have a speed rating of 75mph with reduced load capacity.

ok here is what I heard from Maxxis

here is the response I received from Maxxis regarding the question if they had any st trailer tires with a speed rating greater than 65mph

Bill,
The short answer is no, but neither does anyone else.
According to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. If the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.

So, I guess the answer is yes BUT. at least with the Maxxis, since they state you can't exceed the max sidewall pressure, above 65mph, the load carrying capacity of the tire drops, but yes you can exceed 65mph IF you have enough load carrying capacity margin in the tire. And with goodyear and towmax they lower the service rating at 75mph, probably matches what Maxxis relayed
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
The point of the thread has nothing to do with how fast you should tow your trailer or what is safe to do with your trailer. The point is that many folks insist there are no, none, nada ST tires with a speed rating over 65 MPH. That's not true. It doesn't matter what the myths or "common knowledge" says, there are in fact ST tires rated by the manufacturer for speeds over 65 MPH.

Not all ST tires are used to tow a travel trailer. My boat trailer has ST tires and you can bet it goes over 65 MPH often.

It does appear that Amazon has a misprint on their listing for the Carlisle tires and the OP was aware of it but decided to post anyway. However, that doesn't alter the fact that some ST tires can be used at speeds in excess of 65 MPH. Anybody who makes the blanket statement (and many do, especially when making the LT arguement) that ST tires are limited to 65 MPH are just simply wrong.

Out of interest can you point out a link on a ST tire mfg website that shows an ST tire with a speed rating higher than 65? I believe you, but on every mfg website I've checked I can't find any info on ST tire speed ratings given by the mfg.

Not that I travel more than 65 with our trailer, but a increased speed margin would be nice.

The link is on page 5
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

Mfg don't seem to be taking advantage of the higher speed rating in advertising.

No, they do sure don't. I think its clear that if they clearly advertise higher ratings people will tow as much fast speeds than they should. Just because the tire is rated to drive well over 65mph doesn't mean you should.

I still cannot post an image to this site from any one of 3 PC's or tablet.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
xxx
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Hohenwald48 has got it right , just because something is common knowledge on a forum does not mean it is correct . It is all up to us to decide what we believe , but I have no trouble finding speed ratings on tires . I am puzzled why some can not find it !
Always disagreement about many things including ST tires or LT tires, do ya need to sanitize your tanks , must ya go to led lamps, do ya tow with tanks full . All these things the answer is always , maybe !
Wait a second. You admitted your original post was all a joke and now you're saying that your Carlisle tires may be rated to 106 mph? I guess I'm puzzled too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hohenwald48 has got it right , just because something is common knowledge on a forum does not mean it is correct . It is all up to us to decide what we believe , but I have no trouble finding speed ratings on tires . I am puzzled why some can not find it !
Always disagreement about many things including ST tires or LT tires, do ya need to sanitize your tanks , must ya go to led lamps, do ya tow with tanks full . All these things the answer is always , maybe !

Community Alumni
Not applicable
ktmrfs wrote:

The tires that came with my trailer have a 75mph rating stamped on the side. The brand is Constancy, but really it's just another tire made by Weifang Yuelong Rubber Co which pumps out tons of tires under dozens of brands. If you go by the website they claim that they're a S rated tire which is downright hilarious. Who knows what the actual speed rating is. I don't put much trust into Chinese made ST tires. I'm just going to run them for a little while longer and swap them out for LTs.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
wanderingbob wrote:
When ST tires are spoken of it always comes up that they have a speed rating of 65 MPH . The tires that I am looking at have a speed rating of 106 MPH .Carlisle st 205 75 15 .
If I had them last summer when I went to Maine I could have got there twice as fast !
Many , many everyday ST tires have a speed rating in the 80 MPH range ,look it up !

Finally, someone gets it!!!!

Let the so called experts continue with their disinformation.

do you have a link to the mfg website with the speed rating listed??? Not to disagree, but I have yet to be able to find a MFG website with speed ratings listed for ST tires.

Or a picture of your tire sidewall showing a speed rating other than 65.
I've searched the Carslise site can't find any listing for speed rating.

Mfg don't seem to be taking advantage of the higher speed rating in advertising.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

Finally, someone gets it!!!!

Let the so called experts continue with their disinformation.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

ST tires rated for more than 65 is a fairly recent development. Excepting the Marathons which have ASFAIK always allowed 75 if overinflated by 10PSI.... (With the failures I had using them though, I think that is a joke)

I have read that ST tires came on the scene back when the nationwide limit was 55.... And they were just never updated to the speeds that are now common everywhere.

Perhaps we are seeing a true upgrading of ST tires starting to take place... But then again, these same companies insisted for years that their ST tires were superior for trailer service.

So there you have it. Maybe or maybe not.

Having found a solution that works for me... I will let others be the testers using their money and see how this shakes out over the years.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW